1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a truck that needs transmission work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Drewster2016
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a truck that needs transmission work?

I found a truck that needs some tlc. But would be perfect for my first car and I can fix it up. Here's the posting

2002 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4x4 Quad Cab - White

New rear calipers and pads.

Truck bed and rocker panels have rust, but makes for a great plow truck.

Transmission doesn't have reverse gear (not working)

230K miles.

What do u think? I can't post pics from my iPhone. Not sure how to

Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Buy it cheap and replace the transmission.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Drewster2016
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
Buy it cheap and replace the transmission.
I can get it for 2k. How much (estimate) will a new trany cost? It still needs some body work.. Some big dents on bed. New grill... It's got the 5.4 gas engine in it.. Can't imagine the mpgs being good

Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would figure putting at least $1,500 more in it for the tranny. It just depends on which way you go. Having it rebuilt, buying a reman and having someone else install it, etc.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:50 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take a good hard look at it, plow trucks are driven into the ground and have lots of hidden rust and issues.

Transmissions can go anywhere from 1,500-2,000 for a re-build. Also the transfer case could have issues as well.

Trust me, you never want to buy anything used that's had a plow on it. It's a headache especially on a 12 year old truck. It can all add up very fast.

I'm willing to bet the front end is trashed also. Plowing is one of the hardest things on trucks.

Trust me you never want a used plow truck. Save your money and get a clean truck, then install a plow.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Drewster2016
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kdr358
I would take a good hard look at it, plow trucks are driven into the ground and have lots of hidden rust and issues.

Transmissions can go anywhere from 1,500-2,000 for a re-build. Also the transfer case could have issues as well.

Trust me, you never want to buy anything used that's had a plow on it. It's a headache especially on a 12 year old truck. It can all add up very fast.

I'm willing to bet the front end is trashed also. Plowing is one of the hardest things on trucks.

Trust me you never want a used plow truck. Save your money and get a clean truck, then install a plow.
This truck doesent have a ow on it. The guy is saying it would make a good plow truck because it is a little best up. Just some dentes here and there.ia it possible to just replace the reverse gear in the tranmy? I can have my high schools auto tech shop do that for free if I buy the gear.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hi Drew!

Just like the others you posted a month or so ago, this one has a high probability of being a money pit. Not sure if I suggested this in your other post, but have you ever thought about finding a truck down south that hasn't been exposed to New England winters its entire life? I bought my '00 Excursion like that from Birmingham, and it was completely worth the hassle for a rust-free truck. Of course that would require some help from your parents, but in the long run I think it would be worth the effort. I haven't priced tickets from Logan, but from Bradley International I can fly to Orlando for under $200. You could get on Orbitz and find out where you can fly for cheap, and then start scouring the local Craigslist.

I don't see a rusted out junker as something you would do anything but regret in the future.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Drewster2016
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Hi Drew!

Just like the others you posted a month or so ago, this one has a high probability of being a money pit. Not sure if I suggested this in your other post, but have you ever thought about finding a truck down south that hasn't been exposed to New England winters its entire life? I bought my '00 Excursion like that from Birmingham, and it was completely worth the hassle for a rust-free truck. Of course that would require some help from your parents, but in the long run I think it would be worth the effort. I haven't priced tickets from Logan, but from Bradley International I can fly to Orlando for under $200. You could get on Orbitz and find out where you can fly for cheap, and then start scouring the local Craigslist.

I don't see a rusted out junker as something you would do anything but regret in the future.
Have thought about that but it's not worth driving it all the way back... And yeah that ford I found a month ago was terrible. This one just needs the revers gear and some dents removed. I like that it's a crew cab to

Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Drewster2016
Have thought about that but it's not worth driving it all the way back... And yeah that ford I found a month ago was terrible. This one just needs the revers gear and some dents removed. I like that it's a crew cab to
You may not believe me, but there will come a time after you buy a vehicle that's been up here it's entire life when you will rethink that statement. It might be when you spend all weekend doing a simple job because the fasteners got frozen due to corrosion. Or perhaps when you remove something like a shock mount and can't put a new one on without replacing the entire housing due to rust. Or when the rust in the bed sides gets so severe that the tie down hooks are no longer worthwhile.

Rust is CANCER that can't be cost effectively repaired. And it never gets better, only worse. That day you decide it's no longer worth it and have it towed to the scrap yard will be the day you wish you bought one that was rust free.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Drewster2016
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
You may not believe me, but there will come a time after you buy a vehicle that's been up here it's entire life when you will rethink that statement. It might be when you spend all weekend doing a simple job because the fasteners got frozen due to corrosion. Or perhaps when you remove something like a shock mount and can't put a new one on without replacing the entire housing due to rust. Or when the rust in the bed sides gets so severe that the tie down hooks are no longer worthwhile.

Rust is CANCER that can't be cost effectively repaired. And it never gets better, only worse. That day you decide it's no longer worth it and have it towed to the scrap yard will be the day you wish you bought one that was rust free.
In not going to argue. But if I did but a truck down south in a year it would be rusted out just like the truck I'm looking at buying. Sure id probably save some money but it could cost 6-700 to just get the truck back home. Flying then the fuel costs driving.. Compared to 40$ driving from close to me

I'm going to look at see if I can replace just the reverse gear and have my high school auto tech do it

Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
In not going to argue. But if I did but a truck down south in a year it would be rusted out just like the truck I'm looking at buying.
That's completely false. Do you honestly think that a truck rusts out a year after it's driven off the lot? Then the rust miraculously halts for the next ten years? I'm sorry but it doesn't. It takes years of exposure to salt and other snow melting agents to cause serious structural rust in a truck. I'd be happy to post underside photos of my 2000 Excursion that I sold last June after it spent its first winter up north if you like. Yeah it cost me another $600 to fly south to purchase it, but the guy I sold it to paid more than $1,000 over book value because of the lack of rust.

Do what you want, but I would suggest learning from some of the mistakes myself and others have already made. I'm only 28, and I'm still learning every day. But after the few rust buckets I've owned I've learned that it's just not worth it regardless of budget.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Drewster2016
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
That's completely false. Do you honestly think that a truck rusts out a year after it's driven off the lot? Then the rust miraculously halts for the next ten years? I'm sorry but it doesn't. It takes years of exposure to salt and other snow melting agents to cause serious structural rust in a truck. I'd be happy to post underside photos of my 2000 Excursion that I sold last June after it spent its first winter up north if you like. Yeah it cost me another $600 to fly south to purchase it, but the guy I sold it to paid more than $1,000 over book value because of the lack of rust.

Do what you want, but I would suggest learning from some of the mistakes myself and others have already made. I'm only 28, and I'm still learning every day. But after the few rust buckets I've owned I've learned that it's just not worth it regardless of budget.
The trucks not even rusted out that bad. It just needs a new tranny and some little work and it's good to go
Also it I were to fly to Florida or Somthong what happens if I don't like the truck? Then I wasted 600$ to look at it

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
The trucks not even rusted out that bad. It just needs a new tranny and some little work and it's good to go
Also it I were to fly to Florida or Somthong what happens if I don't like the truck? Then I wasted 600$ to look at it
Yeah, that almost happened to me when the Excursion was NOT as described. You definitely need to have more than one truck in mind when you go down there.

Seriously, do what makes you happy. I remember making similar purchases in the past thinking it wasn't that bad. Then it was, and I regretted it.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Drewster2016
Senior User
I'll stay to rusted trucks here but a halfton that doesent need tranmy wlrk

Old 03-30-2014, 10:02 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Auto or manual tranny?

Quick Reply: Buying a truck that needs transmission work?