Sponsored by: Moser

The Unwanted Post...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Unwanted Post...

Well guys...tonight is going to be my dents last drive for quite a while I'm afraid. Too many issues are keeping it from being suitable for a DD anymore. Many issues are fixable within a day or two but...the larger ones are why I must retire her for awhile. Currently:

- the water pump leaks profusely
- trans cooler is plugged up/ inoperable
- trans slips in 2nd gear
- engine runs great sometimes, barely runs other times
- several small exhaust leaks
- upper steering column bearing is shot and crunchy
- shocks...what shocks?
- at least 1 u-joint is going out of it
- dramatic sudden loss in oil pressure both while driving and at idle
- alternator is touchy and rarely seems to charge the battery (used to be able to play the radio for more than 5 mins once the truck is turned off...now I can't before the radio cuts out and turns off. Also all the lights are really dim all the time.)
- dash lights still only work half the time
- Main fuel lines under the truck leak
- and of course, the right front cab mount is rusted through so the cab kinda rocks a bit

I have plans to build this truck up over time, and by far Im not leaving here or the dentside world but...my dent will have to be retired.

In the meantime I can drive my 07 dodge ram...that needs shocks.

Today is a sad day.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 PM
rockittsled
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry this has happened, stay on the forum so we can keep your spirits up

Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks man, sorry to hear about all the troubles. Sad day indeed, but it sounds like she'll be back eventually. Glad to hear you're not just giving up on it and junking it though. Don't forget how far you've come with it though! This was from the day I picked it up (with plenty of problems too, just different ones):

Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
She will be back some day. Sooner or later...hopefully sooner. I got a nice engine build in mind to start doing this summer. I'm hoping to have her drive able by this fall. Dont really know why I'm choosing that time but...I guess we will see!

I do like the way she looks in that picture though. Just minus the cap. Having no garage and living in the city will make working on her interesting, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Also...anyone who junks a dentside with potential shouldnt have owned it in the first place IMO.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 AM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a bad voltage regulator....tranny fluid flush and possible rebuild....needs headers anyway <{ ....needs a JY steering column.... 4 new shocks.... new fuel line....manual oil pressure gauge.... new u-joints.... and a new water pump...........sounds like a one weekend project lol as long as you don't have to rebuild trans and you can fix your cab mount reasonably......it won't take too long it will just take money.... and do little bit at a time don't take too big of a bite at once....... if it were me i would do the fuel line first then voltage regulator and manual oil pressure gauge that is one good day, then shocks water pump and u joints another day, then enjoy it while you take your time finding a decent JY steering column and some place that does the entire tranny flush sequence (not as dirty as it sounds typed out) and then tackle the cab mount problem last........ but that is just what i would do its all up to you so good luck Dave we wish you well may your bolts and nuts be just tight enough and always find the right size wrench every time

Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave145
She will be back some day. Sooner or later...hopefully sooner. I got a nice engine build in mind to start doing this summer. I'm hoping to have her drive able by this fall. Dont really know why I'm choosing that time but...I guess we will see!

I do like the way she looks in that picture though. Just minus the cap. Having no garage and living in the city will make working on her interesting, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Also...anyone who junks a dentside with potential shouldnt have owned it in the first place IMO.
Good to hear! Hope it's with that 400 that was in it, that would be cool because I think that's the original motor to the truck. It sounds very doable to me, just chip away at it a little at a time and you'll be back on the road before you know it.

Yeah, I hated that cap. That was the first thing I did, sell that cap. Some crack head looking guy with a late 90s ram bought it

I agree with that, I think if these trucks have made it this far in their lives, they deserve not to be crushed.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
I have some and to build her up right when I do rebuild her. IE: new customers wiring harness, speakers in the green plastic area in the rear of the cab, insulation, courtesy lights, a bumpside steering wheel (I just think they look cool), and a whole slew of other goodies.

The 400 is the engine of choice for the rebuild, since I think its low end grunt torque over the 351 is more suited for hauling around a huge truck like this. The goal is ~400 horses and 350+ torque. The trans will be rebuilt as well. Rear end...well...might be rebuilt, might not. Kinda going with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality there.

Ive got tons of inspiration from a few builds on here...lots of good ideas floatin around. I guess we shall see how it all unfolds as time goes forward!

Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be patient, and don't give up hope. If you take it off the road, just take your time and do it right. You will be thankful in the end.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
10-4 on that. I logged 80,000 miles on that truck. I got so many memories good and bad in there its already paid for itself. Its worth it through and through. I'm doing this one right.