1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BLOWN transmission - need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah you guys are right - I'm just trying to think up a way to do this as the closest part I've been able to source is a 5 hour drive away.

I don't like doing things half assed either- especially on my truck - but man its just sitting there all droopy faced begging to go outside.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bra$$monkey
yeah you guys are right - I'm just trying to think up a way to do this as the closest part I've been able to source is a 5 hour drive away.
Is this a reputable seller and will the seller ship? Much cheaper than driving that far. Just a center section should not be prohibitively expensive. If the center section is truly Dana and interchangeable , check with the Jeep forums. Lots of guys swap out the D44 for heavier rear ends.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
I found one!!!! WOO HOO - 2.5 hr drive - COMPLETE Front & Rear suspension tire to tire from an 86 Jag XJ6

Get this $200

HA - I'm headed there Thursday afternoon & will have it for this weekend.

The guy said he bought the car -did a few doughnuts in it, cut out the good parts (engine etc) and junked the car.

OH MAN what a relief!!! Its even still in the cage!

Of course I'll need to clean it up & paint it etc. etc. - but its good to have a second set of brakes, cv joints and all that.

Oh - & this led me to the next discovery - the front suspension on my truck is a Jag as well! So now I'll have a backup front suspension too including the rack & pinion steering!

HAHAHAHA - LUKE I AM YOUR FATHER!!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
GREAT Score!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
I took off work early on Thursday & drove the almost 3 hours to get the parts. As advertised, a complete front and reas suspension from an 86 Jag. The seller wanted the engine/trans & junked the rest of the car - keeping the suspension because he knew people used them for hot rods.

The car had 48k original miles - but judging from the tires & the weeds in the suspension - it spent a lot of time parked in the grass somewhere - which is just good for me!

I got it home & started to pull everything apart.

First - in the cage the axle is top heavy - so it sat in the truck for about 18 hours upside down - all the diff oil leaked out through the vent. Yuck!

I spent most of the day Friday taking things apart & putting things back together.

I started by thinking I could just pull the pumpkin & leave the rest of the rear end under the truck. HaHaHa - no dice!

I eventually tugged the entire rear out - tore it all apart & stuffed the new pumpkin into the old rear suspension.

I could have just plopped the entire new suspension in - but I think the ford bolt pattern I am running is different than the Jag one - maybe not - didnt' look that closely. Also - I know the track width is right on my existing stuff - no need to worry about it.

Anyway - family arrived & so I was done Friday.

Saturday I managed to get the rear tucked back under the truck & the initial set of bolts in place.

I still need to re-attach the shocks/springs, drive shaft, brakes & all the idler arms etc.

After that I'm back on the road! Maybe 3 hours worth of work left!

- Couple observations -
First - the Jag rear brakes had "recently" been worked on - meaning the brake pads looked brand new & the calipers do not match each other in design - so I will keep these calipers, discs & pads for spares.

Second - the Jag rear brakes had the embergency brake still attached - mine do not. I will be swapping in the e-brake

Third/Final - the control arms that locate the axle have bushings front & rear. My bushings are rotten - bad rotten - so I will be finding a shop to press in new ones.

I'll get pics up later - the yard looked like a brittish car had exploded - but I have it mostly cleaned up.

Oh - anyone want a Jag front suspension? complete with power rack? I hear they are a direct fit for our trucks. I know mine looks good!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Congrats. You will be back to driving it again in no time.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd take the suspension if you were closer.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Progress.

Sort of.

I got the new pumpkin in.

I put in some of the jag parts but mostly kept what was in the truck.

When I finally dropped the jack the truck wouldn't start.

Starter solenoid. $20

That got her up.

Now the bad news.

The trans doesn't work right.

It doesn't engage right away. It's not slipping, just not engaging. After a few seconds & a little reving (not much) it will catch & get going. It then cuts out & I coast, then back in, then out.

I'm about to limp it the 25 miles to the tranny shop & let them have it.

This thing has fought me every step of the way.

Like the old calipers didn't fit on the new pumpkin because the ears were too big. I had to grind them down. @ least the rear seems to be tight.

Ugh

Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
It does at least move under its own power

Old 04-26-2014, 07:37 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like it's low on trans fluid .

Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
I wish. I have almost $100 worth of synthetic trans fluid.

Could it be the torque converter needs more? I put 1 qt in it before installing.

I would hope it would fill up right away

Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Just make sure it's at operating temp , and you MUST check the fluid level with the motor idling in park .
If it's an aftermarket dipstick it may be incorrect levels on it .
In my c4's i always use type F trans fluid .

Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you need to get it to the tranny shop, do you have any other way to get it there besides driving it, a dolly, trailer, or tow bar? Personally Id call the tranny shop B4 trying to limp it in, they may just void the warrantee. I know you must be beyond frustrated at this point but it wont hurt to get there opinion. PS does it hesitate going into reverse also?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
I'll try again tomorrow. It has not run enough to be at temp

Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
It does hesitate in reverse too. I'll call the shop on monday if it doesn't come to life tomorrow after I bring it up to temp to check the fluid level.

I KNOW I installed the converter correctly. It's soo darn close to being back on the road I can taste it!

Quick Reply: BLOWN transmission - need help