1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

$ towards garage or truck poll?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$ towards garage or truck poll?

If you had $5,000 to spend on building a little one car shop in your backyard, or spend towards your project fat fender which would you choose and why? I currently have 2 car garage and the wife and 55 f100 parks in it. She's complaining though the truck parts are taking over

Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Branded
Senior User
1st thing to remember.... if Momma ain't happy ain't no body happy...

Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Put her car infront of the garage and spend the money on the truck!

I would never ever let the daily driver near the inside of the garage, unless I need to fix something broken and it was freezing outside. ;-)

Old 03-29-2014, 04:13 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Two questions:
Are you married?
Do you wish to remain married?

If you answered 'yes' more than once, you are building a garage.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM
flattie39
Senior User
Use $700-800 to install a double metal carport in front of but attached to the garage, park her car under the carport and you have 2 bays for the 55. Momma's happy and so are you.
Ken

Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
The 2 car garage is attached to the front of the house, accessible from the driveway. the one car garage or "shop" would be built in the backyard accessible from the rv gate... Yes I'm married and wish to remain married. The summer here in AZ is 120 degrees so the vehicles get really warm if you know what I'm saying. And sometimes we get free "seatbelt tattoos" if you also know what I'm saying

But, I was thinking of getting a small shed for truck parts, spend the $5k on the truck project and get it running and driving.. Not sure if we'll be in this house for a long time or not...

Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Build the garage. Then you have a place to go work and keep your stuff better organized.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:51 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Jasonnoel
Build the garage. Then you have a place to go work and keep your stuff better organized.

You'd be gettin' some of that $5k!!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:41 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Spent 10k, and build the man cave of your choice. If I had a choice I'd build the seperate shop. Our winter's are long and cold, with a 2 car attched garage my DD and 56 stay outside. Snow removal equipment and hockey equipment almost take up one side of the garage.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
ldouble619
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Garage all the way!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Cat906
Senior User
Prior to getting married, we bought a house. Out of all the houses we looked at only one was suitable: it had a one-stall attached and a two stall detached garage. I park my DD in the attached, '56 takes up one stall and the mudder takes up the other stall of the detached, unless we need the space to work on our toys, then they get moved.

You said you might not be there long... If you're going to move in the near future, keep the $5000 in your pocket and put it towards the down payment on a house with adequate parking/garage space...
But if you're going to stay for a while, take a look at comparables in your real estate market. Is that second garage over and above what other homes have? If so, you might just kiss that $5000 goodbye. We completely finished our back garage (insulated, sheeted, painted, put in compressed air, heater, built in shelving) and when we had our home appraised to refinance, they assigned it $0 value because there were no comparables in the area that had a second garage like that.
Besides, if you don't stay, you can't take it with you. If you put it into the truck, the truck moves with you.... Tough choice.

I'd put the money into the truck. But I'm not sure what your area's real estate market is like, either, and if you are likely to get a higher return on your investment in a garage, maybe that's the way to go....

Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
acudanut
Cross-Country
I would put the money in the truck, and tell the wife if she wants her garage space then I need to get the truck running.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Nice. I like the comments. Let me clear it up, the garage has to be 200 squ ft or under, otherwise I'd have to get inspections and permits. There's a power line issue that runs directly over the top of where the garage would be built. Not sure how much that would cost me to have the power company re-direct it. I live in the city of scottsdale so city codes are an issue. If we do move, we move to wife's hometown and build a house on the farm that already has machine shed, shops, and barns. So the garage here in Arizona wouldn't be the man cave of my choice.

Power lines

Power Lin

Last edited by jrockdiddy; 03-29-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: S
Old 03-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gee wiz... not many options there then. I would be afraid of building the garage and then find out we're moving. Back at the wife's hometown, there's already tons of land and space and less likely to have zoning issues. I would almost say hold on to the cash, then you'll also have reserve funds in case a vehicle goes down, sudden move (for moving expenses), or for some other kind of emergency. Prices for everything just keeps climbing. I'm so scared to splurge on anything anymore.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Cubawashere
gee wiz... not many options there then. I would be afraid of building the garage and then find out we're moving. Back at the wife's hometown, there's already tons of land and space and less likely to have zoning issues. I would almost say hold on to the cash, then you'll also have reserve funds in case a vehicle goes down, sudden move (for moving expenses), or for some other kind of emergency. Prices for everything just keeps climbing. I'm so scared to splurge on anything anymore.
Oh we have reserve cash. This is just budgeted money for garage or truck.

Quick Reply: $ towards garage or truck poll?