Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 with issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM
blockzilla
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 with issue

Hello , I recently (in the last few months) have noticed my truck (1999 F350 duallie )seeming to be running very rich … I pull a 32' trailer with it and noticed on the art few trips the front and right side of the trailer COVERED with diesel fuel spots when I got home …. it also smells very rich when idling…. The last couple times I started it in the mornings it seems to crank a very long time before it starts …it still runs but its got issues evidently … it has these 3 codes
P1280
P0475
P1670
the 1670 will clear , but the other 2 I can't clear , they are right back every time you turn the key on … any help will be appreciated …thank you

Old 11-10-2015, 03:21 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P1280-Are you running a tuner? What did your fuel filter look like the last time you changed it? Is there oil in your ICP sensor DS head near the front?

P0475-Is your EBPV disconnected? When is the last time that the EBP sensor tube was cleaned?

P1670-Is your truck an e99 or a L99?

Do you have gauges?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM
blockzilla
Freshman User

yes , have had same tuner on truck for 11 years …. super chips

no oil in sensor or connector , replaced sensor 2 years ago , (was leaking then ) , put new pigtail on about 4 months ago as well (one of the wires fell out of old one ) filter been on there for about 15K miles , haven't looked at it lately …

haven't disconnected anything on exhaust --- cleaned tube about 3-4 years ago … (maybe 40K miles ago ??) truck has 220K on it now .. I have only put 100K miles on it in 12 years …

not sure on E or L99

yes I have gauges installed by original owner

Old 11-10-2015, 03:30 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
P0475 Exhaust back pressure valve issue, it may be partially closing on you or stuck in a position.

P1280 is an ICP (injection control pressure) code, the sensor is on the back of the hpop on top of the motor, behind the fuel bowl. Check and see if the nut on the back is tight. If it is, I would see if you have any way to monitor it logging live data, then post your findings here.

P1670 is an IDM (injector driver module) code. It is located in the drivers inner fender well underneath the wheel well liner. According to "justanswer.com" you want to monitor fuel pressure and make sure it is north of 50psi. You will need an external fuel pressure gauge in order to do that because our PCM does not have provisions to monitor it. If you are maintaining 50 PSI then you want to look at engine rpm greater than 150, ICP greater than 500psi and the duty cycle on the IPR to be at15% and climb from there as you are cranking. If they all check out then you should check into the IDM itself having issues. One way to do that is to Remove the connector and using 2 jumper wires and a sealed beam headlamp, connect headlamp to terminals 14, Dark Green/Light Green of the IDM connector for the power source and 26, Black/Pink of the connector for the headlamp ground. Cycle the ignition key on to energize the IDM relay and check headlamp for bright illumination. If dim or not lit, check IDM relay operation and for possible wiring concern from the engine compartment fuse box to the IDM.Remove the connector using 2 jumper wires, connect them to a sealed beam headlight. Connect the jumpers to terminal 14 dark green/light green of the IDM connector for the power sourrce and terminal 26 black/pink of the connector for the headlamp ground. Cycle the ignition key on to energize the IDM. If the headlamp is bright, the IDM is okay, if it is dim, you need to check the relay to the IDM.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:34 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Did the issue start after replacing the pigtail?

If the fuel filter has not been changed in 15k, it will not hurt anything to change it now. If the filter is black when you change it, we have found one of your issues.

You should probably clean the tube again.

Can you monitor boost, MAP, and EBP? ICP? IPR%?

It will help if you list what you can monitor.

Do you or any of your friends have AE or TorquePro or the equivalent?

Give us the build date of your truck and we can see if it is early or late.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Which Superchips are you using? They can cause the P1280 in the right circumstances.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 PM
blockzilla
Freshman User
I have no way to monitor anything …. the issue started before the pigtail replacement…. thats why I was checking wiring connections when the wire fell out of the pigtail ….so I had to replace it …..

I'll have to check tomorrow on which Superchips programmer it is …as well as the build date of the truck ..

I'll get a fuel filter and check the tube for restrictions.. I replaced it last time as it was rusted out about halfway down ..

Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 AM
blockzilla
Freshman User
I thought the ICP sensor was located on the drivers side head . towards the front ? Thats the one I replaced a couple years back and put the new pigtail on recently …. I saw a video showing that if you unplug that one while running the idle will start surging till you plug it back in … if it doesn't then the sensor is bad . is this correct ?? when I unplug mine theres absolutely no change in the sound of my engine … still idles smoothly when unplugged ..

Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, the ICP sensor is on the passenger side head near the front. Unplugging is causes the IPR to run in default mode. Don't know about causing it to idle funny.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
There are typos galore in this thread... I guess there's a country-wide shortage of coffee.

Rust on the bottom half of the fuel filter!?! We need more detail on this.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:12 PM
blockzilla
Freshman User
Oh and not sure if this helps , but when I ref lash the truck back to stock tuneup , it will barely even move like it has NO power .. I have to floor it to get it to even roll out of the driveway …. Could it be this exhaust gate you mentioned or even possibly the converter plugged up with 220K miles ??

Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by blockzilla
noticed on the art few trips the front and right side of the trailer COVERED with diesel fuel spots when I got home …. it also smells very rich when idling….
This would be my first priority. Based on location of the spots I'd guess the passenger side fuel line has worn thru at the clamp. Get a strong flashlight and look down passenger side of engine into the valley under the turbo. Look for fuel pooling. In Rich's nifty pic above it is the bent line on passenger side running from front to back, the P clamp is just off screen to the left. Some people remove the P clamp, add a bit of rubber cushion and reinstall to prevent the issue. Other people suggest it on FTE and lazily wait for it to leak...

At least I carry a spare.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:16 PM
blockzilla
Freshman User
some good news , after removing the tube to the exhaust and verifying that it , the sensor and the fitting going into the exhaust manifold were all clean , I reinstalled it all , and removed enough intake air pipes to see the turbo pedestal.. first thing I noticed was the wiring to the sensor was disconnected , AND the linkage to the Exhaust back pressure butterfly was disconnected as well …..(had to have been done by the original owner (at least 11 years ago ) …. I checked the butterfly and it was free moving , so I hooked up the wiring connector and fired up the truck , after a short warmup I noticed the linkage moving as it should , so I hooked it back up …. Before I did this the truck ran normal at moderate speeds , but seemed to be down on power under a load or pulling a trailer up a hill… with no load , the best it would do was 15 lbs of boost floored …. after hooking it all back up , i took it for a test drive and wow what a difference.. it now pulls 21-22 lbs of boost , and I did a couple 0-60mph times that were 10.27 and 10.29 seconds ,, that can't be too bad for a 99' 1 ton dually … .. when i got home I checked the 3 codes again and now I only have 1 code left .. the 1280 …….. so i will replace the cheap EBAY IPR sensor with a new one and see if that fixes that problem …. anyone use sensors for the bargain parts stores or NAPA , or better to go to FORD ??? well anyways thanks for the suggestions and help .. I'm gaining on it ...,

Old 11-13-2015, 07:30 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With sensors your best bet is always OEM.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:12 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Happy to hear it.

The fuel spray could be related to low ICP...it would depend on how much fuel you are seeing. However, as mentioned above by aawlberninf350, were you able to check the fuel line on the passenger side of the valley/head/valve cover?

If so, did it have any rubber insulation around the clamp?

Quick Reply: 7.3 with issue