1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

What was your 1st vehicle? Like to have it back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
I've had acouple beaters before I turned 16 never got a chance to drive them (legally) As I sold them to buy my daily driver. once I got my license first thing I was driving was my 1987 bronco. Nothing special edelbrock cam, intake, BBK throttle body full intake, exhaust 33" super swampers. Wasn't a go fast vehicle but never got stuck in it. I miss it still to this day. I'll own a 78-79 one day they are my favorite years. Then age 17 came along with the start to many other cars.
I had one Crazed. Brand new 1979 bought 12/78. I bought myself at the ripe ol' age of 21. Jade green in and out. XLT. 351M. NP435. Manual locking hubs. Awesome 4X4. My best short story with it is when I still lived in Toledo Ohio. My brother and I went 4x4ing DOWN in to a stone quarry in Temperence Michigan. Found a mountain of stone that had to be between 2 to 3 stories tall. Took me 3 times tryin' to make it to the top. Those stones were like ball bearings. The 3rd time I went flying up that mountain so hot and heavy the front end was air born at the top. Trouble was when the front axle came down there was a pile of stone higher under the L/F tire higer than under the R/F. Broke a left front axle. Now I had no 4 wheel drive. Had to go back down that mountain of stone and climb back out of the quarry. NO PROBLEM. What a truck.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by gangstakr
63 Rambler 2dr hardtop. It was given to me when I was 14 drove it everywhere.
No one liked it, but it was mine. For some reason, when my friends needed a ride, they liked it. Would I want it back? If it was given to me, sure.
Are you kidding me? Wowa. Robert, I 've been a "car guy" since I was about 6 or 7 years old. What started it was when I built my 1st 1/24 scale model car. Guess what it was?

<!-- corrects IE6 width calculation --><FORM class="gsc-config gsc-blogConfig">

<!-- corrects IE6 width calculation --><FORM class="gsc-config gsc-blogConfig">(only I made mine Blue)</FORM>

</FORM><FORM class="gsc-config gsc-blogConfig">

<!-- google_ad_section_start(name=default) -->

</FORM>

<!-- google_ad_section_start(name=default) -->

Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by abe
My first vehicle that I drove was my sister's 62 Corvair. She was away on a year long missions type volunteer service and I just turned 16 so I got to use her car as if it were my own. She came back and I lost the use of that cool Corvair. Then I had to drive my parent's 63 Olds...

My parents had a tradition of buying the kids a car (used of course) when we graduated from HS. When I graduated they didn't buy me one. Since I was going to college it didn't really matter. The summer after my Freshman year I found a car I wanted and my parents paid the $500 price tag: a 57 chevy Bel Air 2 door sedan. here is a pic of it:

Would I like to have one of them back? for sure! or a close facsimile!

In between those two classic chevys I bought my 54 F100 in 1977 which I still have.
Also a cool storie Abe. Thank You also. Would have been better if instead of a man in Blue next to your care it was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter"!

Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Uni Moe
1974 Duster 360. Second car actually. Only had my first one (Datsun 1200)for two weeks before I wrapped it around a telephone pole! Bought this one in 76-77 when I was in Grade 11. Stock when I bought it, I spent every extra dollar I made on the car. Air shocks, Cragar SS rims, head work, headers. Custom paint. This is a picture of the only picture I have of it. Not too clear but it was a medium metallic blue with navy blue on the hood and in the center of the sides of the car following the body lines. This self esteem booster took me from a skinny kid in high school to one of the cooler kids with one of the nicest cars at school. Whooped a lot of cars at our home made 1/4 mile on the road to the local dump where we could see any cops coming for a couple of miles, lol. Sold it after high school to put a down payment on a house for my new bride.

Hey Uni, I'm bettin' your "new bride" was one of the chicks you picked up in that ride! AAAAAA?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by limegoldf100
1960 Ford Starliner, 292, 3-speed. I gave $50 for it and yes, I do wish I had it back.
Hey Limegold, I heard a viscious rumor Jay Leno has it now. You want to buy it back?

<!-- end nav javascript:void(0);--><!-- #site-nav --><!-- #site-header --><!-- Close this box
--><!-- ******** src="/js/jquery.cookie.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">*********> ******** type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> if (NBC.cookie('hasSeenTooltip') == null) { NBC('.close-box').show(); }; if(NBC.cookie('hasSeenTooltip') == 'true') { NBC('.close-box').hide(); } NBC(function(){ NBC('a.btn-close').click(function(){ NBC(this).parent().slideUp(); NBC.cookie('hasSeenTooltip','true', {expires: 365}); }); }); *********> --><!-- SITE CONTENT BEGIN --><!-- SITE HEADER BEGIN --><!-- site-header --><!-- SITE HEADER END -->1960 Ford Starliner - Photo Gallery

June 21, 2011 12:00 AM

Tags: 1960, Custom Built, Ford, Photo Gallery, Red, Starliner

1960 Ford Starliner

large

Jay Leno's Garage

<!-- #primary-content -->

<!-- start module -->

Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Serfbored
Well, while growing up, I was raised on a farm. When I turned 14, one of our many hogs had a litter of 16, and one got stepped on by momma, looked like it had a broken hip and was sure it was going to die.
My old man gave it to me to do with as I wished, as he was sure it would die. Well, I nursed it back to health and ended up selling it for $175.
Against his wishes, I then purchased a 1967 Econoline van for $150....snub nose, bus steering wheel, little 140 in the doghouse, which, while bombing down the highway, could open the doghouse and the exhaust manifold would be glowing red.
Kept that van for about 5 years, put probably 100k miles on it...had to change the clutch once, and I think 2 tuneups.
Nothing major ever happened to that old van, was always a prince.

I ended up buying a 72 Vauxhaul Fiernza with a Toyota SR5 motor in it, and drove off to live in the big city. About 4 months later, I get a call one day from my mom, asking what I wanted to do with my old van. Said she had someone asking about it. So, I told her to go ahead and sell it if she could, and she ended up selling it for $800. Called me and asked me what I wanted her to do with the money, I told her to keep it and " get your hair done, or whatever."
Turned out she used it as a down payment on a new Toyota Corolla for herself, first new car she ever owned. I think the new car was something like $3800. She loved her car, I loved that I helped her get it, and one time we were talking about 3 years later she said she was so happy, she had only 3 more payments and her car would be paid off, so I called the dealer where she bought it, got a total, and sent them a check to finish it off 3 months early. Was good times, as I was 1000's of miles away. Was a great van, yes, would love to have it back.
Good Job Serfbored. Awesome that you did that for your MOM. Great story. Thank You also for sharing.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
COOL cars and COOl stories so far guys.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My very first car was a 62 falcon futura 2dr. Had a 170 and I want to say a 2sp tranny. My dad ended up selling it so when I turned 18 I bought a 72 maverick grabber...302 with a ridiculously high lobed cam in it with no stall converter. It was metallic purple with ZZ top stripes on the side. Had nothing off the line but would do 150 easily. I definitely would love that car back. I will try and find my only picture of it and post it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Also a cool storie Abe. Thank You also. Would have been better if instead of a man in Blue next to your care it was "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter"!
Yes, Miss Golden Shifter would have been better, but it turned out OK. Here is the story. I had an 8:00 class in the brick building behind me. I would park along the street. This day there weren't any spaces, so I parked in front of the 'No Parking from here to corner' sign. I came out at 9:00 and the cop was in his cruiser writing the ticket. A fraternity brother was coming out of his apartment across the street and snapped the picture just as I was talking the cop into taking the ticket back!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 AM
RunninD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first truck was given to me by my dad, when I was 12. Back then you could get a hardship license and be legal, so I begged, pestered, even whined until he finally snapped. "If you can get that damned thing running you can have it, but stop asking!" I know that he didn't expect me to get it running, but 20 minutes and an appropriated battery later it lived! 1972 F100 4wd 360 , NP435 & 4.10 gears
This was my maiden voyage and you can see that He was less than amused!! Dad loved the Dents. His truck at the time was a '72 250 Highboy, which I later bought from him. Later he got a '72 350, which I also managed to get after he passed. If I could I'd go get them both i would (I have the 1-ton) Ironically I also have his '02 PS Crew cab. All in all I'd rather have him back

Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RunninD
My first truck was given to me by my dad, when I was 12. Back then you could get a hardship license and be legal, so I begged, pestered, even whined until he finally snapped. "If you can get that damned thing running you can have it, but stop asking!" I know that he didn't expect me to get it running, but 20 minutes and an appropriated battery later it lived! 1972 F100 4wd 360 , NP435 & 4.10 gears
This was my maiden voyage and you can see that He was less than amused!! Dad loved the Dents. His truck at the time was a '72 250 Highboy, which I later bought from him. Later he got a '72 350, which I also managed to get after he passed. If I could I'd go get them both i would (I have the 1-ton) Ironically I also have his '02 PS Crew cab. All in all I'd rather have him back
Glad to hear he was a Dad not a Father. Pass that on to your's Son. I think he's pretty much still with you in that F350..........

Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Here she is. Had to hunt through alot of pictures to find her.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man that looks like fun maverick600

Old 04-02-2014, 02:40 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by smokenchoken
man that looks like fun maverick600
Oh she was extremely fun to drive.....good thing tickets drop off your driving record after awhile.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Glad you hunted that pic down Mav. Check out the Grabber hood! And once I saw the stripes I was wonderin' If you had some "cheap sunglasses" hanging on the rear view mirror! (sometimes I crack myself up)

Quick Reply: What was your 1st vehicle? Like to have it back?