Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Freshman User

RedRaider15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thinking About Getting Ecoboost

I currently drive an '06 F-250 V10. In about a year or so, I am getting an F-150 and will just use the Super Duty for work. Is the 3.5 liter EcoBoost something I should get, and if so, what performance mods should I get?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Elder User

conger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.conger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider15 View Post
I currently drive an '06 F-250 V10. In about a year or so, I am getting an F-150 and will just use the Super Duty for work. Is the 3.5 liter EcoBoost something I should get, and if so, what performance mods should I get?
I moved down to an F150 ecoboost from a Superduty last year. Not pulling the big trailer anymore so I didn't need the pulling power of the diesel.
So far I like the truck a lot. Nice ride very quiet. Nice change from the diesel. Overall average mileage since I bought it is 15.6 ltr/100km. Which translates to about 18.5 mpg. Mine is left stock but many guys do the intake and carnal exhaust mods. If you use a tune it will leave a finger print and Ford will know and void warranty. I find the power is adequate as is.
I would say test drive 5.0 and ecoboost and pick the one you like.
Good luck.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior User

LM14 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just went from an extended cab '99 F250 V10 to a crew cab '13 F150 Eco. Best trade I've ever made.

I only have 1600 miles on the Eco but the mileage is so much better, the ride is better, it's amazingly quiet and it's just nicer to drive. I got rid of my 24' enclosed car trailer and went to an aluminum open trailer when I quit racing so I didn't need something to tow the big trailer anymore. That said, I think this truck would tow just as well as the F250 did, and possibly better.

I don't think you would regret a step back to the F150. I was worried about all the hype but so far mine lives up to it.

SPark
2013 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2008 Taurus for the Wife
All Ford Powered!!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
New User

keyston44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went from a 2000 F-250 7.3 diesel to a 2014 F-150 with eco boost that I really like. It is so smooth and quite. The power is unbelievable. While I'm not getting the same mileage that everyone else is getting, It's still better than the 250 I had. With the "Off Road" package gearing 3.83 I don't expect to get what everyone else is. The only mod I made is a K&N air filter and the locking fuel plug. I'm still breaking it in so I haven't pulled a trailer with it yet.

Key
Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
The ecoboost engines take a solid 9K-10K miles to fully break in and achieve full MPG potential. I love mine, she never skips a beat.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Lead Foot User

Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
The ecoboost engines take a solid 9K-10K miles to fully break in and achieve full MPG potential. I love mine, she never skips a beat.
Where did you get that info because I honestly think that's a myth that dealers are feeding people. I've got 44,000km on mine and I'm getting the exact same mileage now as when I drove it off the lot (Avg of 16.5 MPG). I got the PCM update done last week as per a recall letter from Ford and I just got 18.5 MPG today on a 800km trip. That's the best mileage I have seen out of it since I bought it.

To the OP, it depends on what you want it to do. The Eco has been good to me so far but don't expect anywhere close to mileage they advertise unless you're always driving downhill with a tailwind!! I really expected ALOT better #'s out of it given the 32MPG they advertise it to have. It pulled better than I thought it would but I would really like to compare it to the 5.0 in all departments. I've heard the mileage is just as good (if not better) and the 5.0 is a proven engine. The Eco is new so that scares me. I made sure to buy the 200,000km bumper to bumper warranty but I need my truck for work so I can't afford to be without it if something was to fail.

2013 F150 FX4 Luxury Package w/Ecoboost
2008 F350 CC FX4 6.4 PSD, Spartan, Modded - SOLD
2011 Armada 8 pass Platinum Edition - Stock
2012 Can Am Commander - Modded
2006 Suzuki M109 - Modded
Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon D View Post
Where did you get that info because I honestly think that's a myth that dealers are feeding people. I've got 44,000km on mine and I'm getting the exact same mileage now as when I drove it off the lot (Avg of 16.5 MPG). I got the PCM update done last week as per a recall letter from Ford and I just got 18.5 MPG today on a 800km trip. That's the best mileage I have seen out of it since I bought it.

To the OP, it depends on what you want it to do. The Eco has been good to me so far but don't expect anywhere close to mileage they advertise unless you're always driving downhill with a tailwind!! I really expected ALOT better #'s out of it given the 32MPG they advertise it to have. It pulled better than I thought it would but I would really like to compare it to the 5.0 in all departments. I've heard the mileage is just as good (if not better) and the 5.0 is a proven engine. The Eco is new so that scares me. I made sure to buy the 200,000km bumper to bumper warranty but I need my truck for work so I can't afford to be without it if something was to fail.
Here we go again. A 3.73 geared truck isn't going to achieve the MPG's that my 3.31 geared truck gets.

Ford was saying that the Ecoboost takes a bit longer to fully break in than a normal engine, I have no clue why. I watched my MPG's incrementally increase as the truck was increasing it's miles. She finally peaked out at around 9K miles. I just rolled 37K on mine and it's been great.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Lead Foot User

Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've got 3.55 gearing in my truck. If you think that going from a 3.55 to a 3.31 will yield you huge gains in MPG then you are mistaken. I'd like to know what gearing the truck had that got the 32MPG that they advertise on every Ecoboost commercial ever made?? Every one I talk to has said their "dealer" told them the same thing about the mileage getting better but have you actually met a real life person that has gained any more than 2-3 MPG after break in? I've heard the rumors and know a guy who's sister's cousin's dog groomer's neighbor had an Eco that got an extra 5 MPG after break in, but I'm not drinking that Koolaid. I simply made the comment because no-one has any actual proof to back up these claims that the dealer makes and I wanted the OP to know what he was getting into. I went through the same thing with my 6.4 F350, dealer swore up down and sideways that mileage would get better after "break-in". The only thing that increased MPG on that truck was a new exhaust and a tuner.

2013 F150 FX4 Luxury Package w/Ecoboost
2008 F350 CC FX4 6.4 PSD, Spartan, Modded - SOLD
2011 Armada 8 pass Platinum Edition - Stock
2012 Can Am Commander - Modded
2006 Suzuki M109 - Modded
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM
New User

nitropolaris2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I really enjoy my ecoboost. I like to the low end torque it has. I would get the max tow package if I bought another one though
Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.jdadamsjr has a spectacular reputation.
The wife's 13 Explorer sport gets an indicated 20.2 mpg on her commute into work on dfw freeways... and she's a hot foot !!!

Been a great little engine so far even though I HAVE to take it out and wring it out every once in a while...

Dang, that torque steer is amazing - can't imagine tuning it for more grunt and being able to hold onto it in between the 1-2 shift !
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)