1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Kill switch on a 80-86 Bullnose??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Why not a good old fashioned Fuel line shut off valve, say behind the seat, Valve outside under cab, lever inside?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reamer
Why not a good old fashioned Fuel line shut off valve, say behind the seat, Valve outside under cab, lever inside?
I think a lever might be too obvious. I'm going for stealth in this case.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I know killing the fuel pump will do the same thing, but if you don't have an electric pump just install an early style fuel tank switching valve. They are electrically controlled but don't pull power except when actually changing from one tank to the other. Here are several scenarios:
  • If you had dual tanks but don't use both, just seal off the line from the tank you aren't using and flip the switch on the dash to that tank when you want to prevent it from being driven.
  • Ditto above but use an alarm system to treat the valve as a door lock and turn the valve to the non-existent tank with the alarm on. Automagically it will go back to the existing tank when you unlock.
  • If you still use both tanks you can still add another valve, just install it between the existing valve and the engine, and cap one inlet off. And put a hidden switch somewhere to control it.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:53 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I know killing the fuel pump will do the same thing, but if you don't have an electric pump just install an early style fuel tank switching valve. They are electrically controlled but don't pull power except when actually changing from one tank to the other. Here are several scenarios:
  • If you had dual tanks but don't use both, just seal off the line from the tank you aren't using and flip the switch on the dash to that tank when you want to prevent it from being driven.
  • Ditto above but use an alarm system to treat the valve as a door lock and turn the valve to the non-existent tank with the alarm on. Automagically it will go back to the existing tank when you unlock.
  • If you still use both tanks you can still add another valve, just install it between the existing valve and the engine, and cap one inlet off. And put a hidden switch somewhere to control it.
I have dual tanks on it now, but I will be using both so I don't want to fill one up and have the other sit empty. Plus I don't want the theif to spend enough time in the cab to eventually start looking around and figure out where the switch is.

I like the idea of having it at the bottom of the door, but A. I don't know how i'll keep water or moisture away from it and all the wires without ruining it, and B. there will be a fair amount of wires in the door already and IF someone was watching me hop out of the truck, they would see me flip the switch. So that leaves me with mounting it under the seat.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTDriver97
I think something like that eBay switch is a little too big and noticeable. I was thinking something along these lines:

Under the door is BRILLIANT!! I'm only worried about water getting in the door and then shorting it out, then i'm f'd. Also, i'm worried about it rubbing, but i'd have to do some measuring first.

Otherwise, i'm thinking about somewhere under the dash where no one would ever think to look. Or maybe the inside of the sun visor. Ya know...something where no one would ever think to look.
It's a problem balancing a position that's within reach of the drivers seat, with being hidden or hiding in plain sight. Over the years many different things have been tried and the best one I've seen was converting the cigarette lighter into a momentary push switch in series with the start wiring. So you had to hold the lighter in whilst turning the key to crank the engine.

You can also get creative with hidden proximity switches behind trim, the sky's the limit - good luck

Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm going to try putting on one of those F.A.S.T. fuel injected units, which would then mean i'll have a computer to kill the fuel pump from running. The only question is how to get around it.

I love a good revenge story .

Goto to post #50 here for the revenge!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-trans-4.html

Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
Goto to post #50 here for the revenge!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-trans-4.html

Oh man I love dogs. I think I would've kicked the S outta him just for the hell of it. I swear people have no common sense or decency, and S-heads like that need to be taught a very valuable lesson....like what life is like in a wheel-chair.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I haven't selected the hood lock yet, but I've installed them and they work well. Mine will be coupled with an alarm system that locks/unlocks the doors and hood, kills the ignition, and has various sensors to detect the doors or hood opening when the alarm is set - in which case it sets off an alarm. Nothing sophisticated, but a good basic system that provides security with convenience.
Ahh, ok so something like a solenoid driven slide bolt through the bonnet catch, or a mag-lock holding the bonnet itself shut. Activated by an alarm or central locking system.

For an alarm system, swap the external siren ( nobody pays attention to them anyhow) for a high intensity piezo screamer inside the cab. Makes it very uncomfortable to hang around in there trying to complete the theft.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh man I love dogs. I think I would've kicked the S outta him just for the hell of it. I swear people have no common sense or decency, and S-heads like that need to be taught a very valuable lesson....like what life is like in a wheel-chair.

Good ole Florida summer time sun cooked him really good! As he did not roll down any windows the temps were OVER 130deg F!!!! I let him out due to I did not want to deal with a dead cooked crook on my hands in the car but had fun taunting him with the Rex and my dogs!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
Good ole Florida summer time sun cooked him really good! As he did not roll down any windows the temps were OVER 130deg F!!!! I let him out due to I did not want to deal with a dead cooked crook on my hands in the car but had fun taunting him with the Rex and my dogs!
Lol.

Ya know, he could've died and then you just pretend you got home late and not know anything about it. One less f'r off the planet.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I think a lever might be too obvious. I'm going for stealth in this case.
Just don't put up the yellow and black sticker on the dash saying

"Super sneaky secret fuel shut off valve located behind the seat"

It should be fine.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by reamer
Just don't put up the yellow and black sticker on the dash saying

"Super sneaky secret fuel shut off valve located behind the seat"

It should be fine.
Ahhh, darn. That's what I was planning on doing.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I have installed Kill switches on most of the vehicles I have owned . I sold one to my little brother years ago . After 3 days at a shop ( he lived over 100 miles away ) he called for advice . While on a date ,someone's foot found the kill switch ! The mechanic could not figure out why the coil was not firing ! I told them where the switch was located . Easy to get at , hard to find ..... I run a bit of wiring ,looks factory , and isolate the coil . I know it works ! Around the e brake area on my 78 with a small push pull switch .

Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I have installed Kill switches on most of the vehicles I have owned . I sold one to my little brother years ago . After 3 days at a shop ( he lived over 100 miles away ) he called for advice . While on a date ,someone's foot found the kill switch ! The mechanic could not figure out why the coil was not firing ! I told them where the switch was located . Easy to get at , hard to find ..... I run a bit of wiring ,looks factory , and isolate the coil . I know it works ! Around the e brake area on my 78 with a small push pull switch .
Do you have any pictures of the work you did? Or where the switch was located at?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some greasy part lying on rags on the driver's seat with a note on the dash reading, "Gone for parts, back soon".

Quick Reply: Kill switch on a 80-86 Bullnose??