6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Did my oil cooler failure lead to injector failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Jlrossini
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my oil cooler failure lead to injector failure

So I had a 2006 f250 king ranch 6.0 diesel with a bad head gasket. I took it in to the local diesel shop that specializes in these trucks...... So I ended up dropping 9k on a low miles block that they built up with arp studs, gaskets, new oil cooler, turbo, updated valves, ect. All under 90 day warrenty.i left with the truck and noticed the heater not working and a bit of white smoke on cold start.i called they checked it out told me that heater core was plugged probably from rust in my block from wrecking yard motor. I was concerned but they told me not to worry just drive it and they will get it donenin aweek. They also informed me that injectors 1 and 6 were under par at 1115 rpm only. So the first trip I make downthe freeway the truck dies, no noise just died and no start. Towed it back to the shop they tell me injectors 1 and 4 blew causing hydrolock. But they said the new oil cooler failed to and they would replace that under warranty.also there is coolant in my oil and oil in my coolant. My understanding is oilmcooler failure will cause injector failure so shouldnt my injector damage be covered also.So my question is two things.
1. Did my injectors fail due to the oil cooler failing and should they be covered under warranty
2. What other damage may have been done due to oil cooler failure .

they want me to pay for new injectors and a flush and keep my fingers crossed theres not more damage.they said they would replace they cooler and heater core on them. Am I getting screwed here.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you gave them your engine with a blown head gasket, and they sold you a "built" motor from the junkyard?

if I read all that correctly....you're not getting screwed....you're getting raped.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Jlrossini
New User
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
So you gave them your engine with a blown head gasket, and they sold you a "built" motor from the junkyard?

if I read all that correctly....you're not getting screwed....you're getting raped.
The whole idea was to buy a used low miles motor for the block. Supposed to be under 100k from there they were going to build it up to save on the new short block. I didn't know later I would find out the one they bought would have had a blown gasket to and rust in the cooling system? They had the heads and manifolds ect surfaced. So yeah got screwed on that but the issue im having now is did my oil cooler failure result in my injectors 1 and 4 failing Causing hydrolock and if so should everything be covered under warranty

Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
What was the reasoning against repairing the head gasket on the original engine?

Hard to say the oil cooler took out the injectors for sure but it didn't do them any favors.

The cooling system needs to be thoroughly flushed with detergent to remove as much oil as possible. It's very hard to get it all, and new hoses are recommended (radiator and heater).

Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Jlrossini
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
What was the reasoning against repairing the head gasket on the original engine?

Hard to say the oil cooler took out the injectors for sure but it didn't do them any favors.

The cooling system needs to be thoroughly flushed with detergent to remove as much oil as possible. It's very hard to get it all, and new hoses are recommended (radiator and heater).
The reason we replaced the block was it had 230k and figured might as well update the block as well. I just feel like its pretty odd that two injectors fail at the same time my oil cooler fails all within 500 miles of the rebuild. My understanding is if the cooler fails the injectors can suffer. They admitted the cooler failed but are trying to say the injectors are a totally seperate issue.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
I'm not sure....someone else will have to confirm if the water/antifreeze mixed with the oil would cause injectors to fail. It certainly wouldn't be good for them.

hell, they told you to drive it....the whole repair should be on them .

which motor did the injectors come out of?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Jlrossini
New User
I'm not trying to be a d$&@ here and pin it on them just becouse there was a problem I get stuff happens and ill pay for my problems. I just want to make sure this is two completely different things as they explained to me. If the damage was caused by a faulty part under warranty and they don't want to fix the whole problem then I have a problem

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Have you seen any receipts showing what brand oil cooler, studs, turbo, updated valves and headgaskets that they used? Or do you know what they used?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your problems. I thought I was the only one that found crooks where ever I go. I know it makes you kind of sick.

The $9,000 repair bill on an old rusty block is obscene in my opinion. You could have purchased engine rebuilt by the experts a AE Engine and turbo INSTALLED for around $8,000. And the AE Engine would have been perfect with a one year/unlimited mileage warranty.

I say they should repair ALL damage under warranty.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 AM
Jlrossini
New User
Arp head studs, ford 6.0 head set 18mm, ford oil cooler on invoice but he said something about an eclipse cooler, turbo industrial,and a bunch of gaskets and tubes and stuff on invoice. Yeah this turned from a 3k project into a 9k project with more work now to come. I just thought paying the pros to do it right the first time might save me in the long run. I have stupid stamped on my forehead.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't see where an oil cooler failure would cause injectors to go bad.
Typically a bad oil cooler will cause a high oil temp compared to coolant temp, which can cause EGR cooler failure and/or head gasket failure. If the oil cooler ruptures, normally you get the mix of oil and coolant. The oil mixed with coolant would cause less lubrication on the spool valves on the injectors but shouldn't cause a hydro lock.
Was the hydro lock from coolant or diesel?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Jlrossini
New User
Diesel in the cylinders 2 injectors failed the front right injectors 1 and 4. So bad oil circulation or bad oil would not cause injectors to fail? I guess that's what I'm trying to find out

Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 AM
Jlrossini
New User
So from my research I am seeing that if the oil cooler fails the injectors can overheat causing them to fail. Is this right? I have antifreeze in my oil and oil in my antifreeze. They told me my oil cooler failed

Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlrossini
So from my research I am seeing that if the oil cooler fails the injectors can overheat causing them to fail. Is this right? I have antifreeze in my oil and oil in my antifreeze. They told me my oil cooler failed
How many miles were on the injectors? Were they the ones from the junkyard motor? or the ones from your old engine with 220K miles? Usually what causes failed injectors is low fuel pressure. I have a hard time believing that oil in the coolant caused the injectors to fail. Also usually the oil cooler failing will result in oil in the coolant not coolant in the oil, but a cracked front cover could cause coolant in the oil and I suppose a cracked cylinder head or block could also cause it. How long did you drive it before having the problem? I would expect the entire job would be covered under the 90 day warranty especially if you installed used parts at their recommendation. This is another situation where someone tried to save money while unwittingly stepping over dollars to save dimes, in this case you could have purchased a remanufactured long block from ford that comes with all remanufactured injectors with front and rear covers and HPOP for 9 grand or at a minimum a short block for around 5 grand.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I agree with you Brett. I think the OP is getting a lot of bad information from the installer because they don't want to be on the hook for a $9K bill. The old saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS" comes to mind here.

Quick Reply: Did my oil cooler failure lead to injector failure