1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: feeling sick to my stomach

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OT: feeling sick to my stomach

After reading about Wade's dog it makes my problems seem trivial, but this afternoon my computer "burped" and suddenly my browser had a different look and all my settings disappeared into cyberspace, all my bookmarks, all my logons, things I will never be able to replace. All I have left is a bare browser like you'd find on a new computer. I have a sheet of user names and passwords, but there are a few I never wrote down. I went to the browser's help files (firefox) but the old files had been overwritten by just where I went today, and there are no older backup versions that I can find even tho firefox says there should be.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be away of recovering deleted files - I know that you didn't delete them, the computer did that for you
Now is the time tp get an externat hard drive to backup your files to - I have a Buffallo DDR 3 TetraByte that I use to backup to everynight at 11PM - I also have a seperate Buffalo that I backup my photoes and music too in addition to the first one I mentioned

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Most sites should be able to retrieve your log ins and passwords if you remember the email you used to register. Book marks, i have no idea if you can save them or not.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Ain't technology great? Sorry for your troubles.....my last computer got hit by a power surge and fried everything(including the surge protector).

Also the other day my credit card Co called saying my card had been hacked for 3k+......got that sorted out, but it all makes me want to go off the grid sometimes!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Do you have system restore points on your pc?
Go to Control Panel and Backup and Restore Center. In there you should find, Use System Restore to fix problems and undo changes to Windows.

Now if you installed a bunch of stuff this might be a bad thing. But it's something to look into. It could bring Firefox back to before this disaster.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Do you have system restore points on your pc?
Go to Control Panel and Backup and Restore Center. In there you should find, Use System Restore to fix problems and undo changes to Windows.
That's the ticket

Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
AAAAGGHHH!!!!
I hate that!

I feel for you. I had a similar instance a while back....ugh. Good luck on the recovery

Bobby

Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The very first thing you should do is scan for a virus.

I had a similar experience last week, and used Malwarebytes (free download) to find and correct the problem. My McAfee Enterprise didn't see the virus.

Once it's eliminated (if found), then do a System Restore. And don't back-up anything until you're sure it's clean.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Ran Avira and it said it found and eliminated 4 malware. I then did a system restore, but no good on restoring the bookmarks. I do backup, but i never expected my bookmarks to be deleted (actually overwritten)

Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Ran Avira and it said it found and eliminated 4 malware. I then did a system restore, but no good on restoring the bookmarks. I do backup, but i never expected my bookmarks to be deleted (actually overwritten)
What version of Firefox are you running?

Go to the Display your Bookmarks pulldown, select Show all Bookmarks, Import and Back-up, Restore, and see if it shows you 10 bookmark backups to choose from. If so, choose a date and see if it brings them back.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Firefox Version 27.0.1 I've already tried to restore bookmarks, but it only gives me one date to choose from, yesterday's.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey ax
the only thing I have to offer is support. you were so helpful in getting me up and running....its hard for me to believe that you, of all people found yourself infoless (that's a new word for puter crash) as savvy as I know you are. good luck in recovery of your stuff. if there is anything I can do just send me a pm.
qman

Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
One anomaly I see when I try a system restore: on the list of drives where restore is either on or off, it shows 2 (C) drives, one labeled OS (C) System with protection on, and one labeled OS (C) (missing) with protection on. The first one has a diskdrive icon in front of it, the latter has what appears to be a folder icon in front of it. ????

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
My son who is an IT guy suggested going here: What is Windows Defender Offline?
Burn the file to a flash drive or CD and boot to the drive. It will detect a rootkit virus, which antivirus programs used while the OS is running cannot.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Bridgeford
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear your bookmarks are gone. I am always afraid of losing mine so every few days or so I back mine up to a cd. If you go to bookmarks, show all bookmarks, then under import and backup choose export bookmarks to an html. I choose a file on my hard drive, then burn that file to a cd. If my bookmarks disappear I then restore them from the cd. That of course doesn't help you now but maybe from a future problem.

Quick Reply: OT: feeling sick to my stomach