Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ELC coolant/entenders

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
ELC coolant/entenders

So it's time for me to flush coolant. Last time I went with G-05 gold in my 2002. I had a hard time finding ELC locally. After reading more, it seems some ELC's require the addition of an extender @ 3 years into the cycle to get the high mileage/years coverage advertised. Trouble is, I have not been able to find info on the extenders or where to obtain them.

After reading on Peak Final Charge Global Extended Life Coolant, it seems no extender is required. Only testing freeze point and top of with a 50/50 mix of the coolant. I've attached a link from Peaks FAQ describing maintaining their coolant. Anyone else using this stuff? Thoughts?

PEAK COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL | FINAL CHARGE | EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE | FAQS

Old 03-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DND58
After reading more, it seems some ELC's require the addition of an extender @ 3 years into the cycle to get the high mileage/years coverage advertised.
Unless you plan on keeping your rig for another 500,000 miles (what most ELC's are rated for), I wouldn't worry about it.

I have Delo ELC in my rigs. Delo ELC is good for 750,000 miles or one million with an extender.

I'm not worrying about the extender.

Stewart

Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a Cat dealer near you? They have an "ELC" that requires the SCA additive and an ELC EC-1 rated coolant that does not. The latter being more expensive by a few bucks a gallon so if you a looking at doing any cooling system repairs you may wait on that one.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I am interested in another aspect, and will be researching the use of any of the manufacturers' "converter kits", wherein one only adds a formulation that converts conventional coolant into ELC.

Seems just too easy-peasy, but large fleets go through this "conversion", and I have seen no negative subsequent reporting.

Of course, the "conversion" stuff is kinda' hidden from public consumption.

Anyone know anything?

Where's Gooch when you need 'im?

Pop

Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No easy access to anything(CAT, Delo,Rotella,Mobile Delvac,...) except the Peak from the Irish. Their description mentions extender use vs. Peaks FAQ attached in first post. I'll never hit any of the milage, but would like the peace of mind for the 6-8 years many of these ELC's state.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
I'm using the Delo as well, and from memory I'm pretty sure the back of the bottle says the extender doesn't need to be added until 500,000 miles/4 years.
I agree, the ELC is far, FAR too hard to get ahold of. And I leave near one of the busiest interstate junctions in the country, with many truck stops and OEM dealers.
I'm sure the Peak Final Charge is a good product, and I believe I remember it being mentioned by Gooch as recommended.

Here's a story for anyone interested in reading:
I bought my recent T444E water pump from the local Int'l dealer. When I called to place the order, I specifically asked if they carried Rotella ELC Concentrate AND 50/50 mix; to which the salesman replied: "Oh yeah, we have cases of both. I'm looking at them as we speak".
Sweet, that was easy.
I go in to pick my pump up, and I only see cases of 50/50... Dozens of them. So I ask the dork behind the counter to give me 4 gallons of concentrate.
He replies, "I no longer stock concentrate. Too many people not using distilled water".
Me: "Well, I have 20 gallons of distilled water in the back of my truck, wanna see?"
Him: "Doesn't matter, I won't do it. Sorry."
Me: "If I were you, I'd be more worried about warranty claims on a cracked block due to weak freeze point because you refuse to sell a concentrate to adjust it after flushing."
I just got another apology and refusal to sell me any. I proceeded to drive all around town to no avail, and had to use our company stock of Delo.. Which I was trying not to do. And I absolutely will not be using Central Maryland International Truck in Hagerstown, MD again.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I am interested in another aspect, and will be researching the use of any of the manufacturers' "converter kits", wherein one only adds a formulation that converts conventional coolant into ELC.
Marv, conventional "green" coolant?

Conventional "green" coolants start life as phosphoric acid. OAT ELC's start life as carboxylic acids.

If you find any info I'd really be interested in how they do the conversion.

Originally Posted by t.scottNDU
I agree, the ELC is far, FAR too hard to get ahold of. And I leave near one of the busiest interstate junctions in the country, with many truck stops and OEM dealers.
Grab a phone book, turn to the yellow pages, and go to the "Petroleum Products" listing and you should be good.

Stewart

Old 03-19-2014, 01:25 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Marv, conventional "green" coolant?

Conventional "green" coolants start life as phosphoric acid. OAT ELC's start life as carboxylic acids.

If you find any info I'd really be interested in how they do the conversion.
Turns out the "kits" are for fleet use only. Each kit has enough to convert at least FIVE OTR trucks.

It's kinda' involved, wherein you first need to pull a sample of your current coolant and send it off to determine if it's suitable for conversion. The glycol already needs to be up-to-snuff, though. After you're done, another sample needs to be sent to prove it's working as planned.

The conversion apparently somehow disables the SCAs and anti-corrosives, causing them to precipitate out, and adds in the OATs. The ethylene glycol remains the same.

Beyond that, the chemistry is kinda' vague to end users.

Here's a web page from 2004 that might lend some insight:
Shell Introduces New Coolant Conversion Kits - TopNews - Aftermarket - TopNews - TruckingInfo.com

After some digging and looking around this afternoon, I suspect I'll never convert to ELC in this manner.

I need to re-think my little part of "saving the environment", and just dump it (responsibly, though)!

Pop

Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That's very interesting Pop.

I'm rocking 50% Shell ELC and 50% DELO ELC. I live dangerously.

I intend on using an extender at 750k miles we'll see if I make it lol.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/87058/7/elcfaq.pdf

Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/87058/7/elcfaq.pdf
Most excellent.

A lot of this has been covered in the coolant thread I put together, but dang if this PDF isn't put together really well.

Gonna add this PDF link to the coolant thread!

Stewart

Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DND58
No easy access to anything(CAT, Delo,Rotella,Mobile Delvac,...) except the Peak from the Irish. Their description mentions extender use vs. Peaks FAQ attached in first post. I'll never hit any of the milage, but would like the peace of mind for the 6-8 years many of these ELC's state.
I have had the FINAL CHARGE coolant in my LATE '99 for several years now, I believe its good coolant.

We are just now getting the Irish parts stores here in town, I usually have to drive to a truck stop over 35 miles away to get it otherwise.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

I'm not worrying about the extender.
That's What She SAID!!!!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
NAPA has an ELC.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:01 PM
budvoss
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys i have a question about coolant and i will admit im lost with all the picks. I bought a 01 7.3 in a van. A ambulance that was retired at 200K. How in the heck would i know what coolant they used, All i know is green lol. Any ideas how to test it for additives and or what to use to change it. thanks again

Quick Reply: ELC coolant/entenders