Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Throwing Codes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still Throwing Codes...

Well, the 91 F-150 XLT Lariat 5.8, E4OD is still throwing a pair of codes: I disconnected the battery for 30 sec. yesterday to clear them, but it was not enough: So tonight I disconnected the battery for around 20 minutes...

Anyway, the TPS code is gone- a new TPS took care of that. The truck is running & driving well(knock wood) But- she is still throwing a 94 code, and in the saved memory showing a 15 code...

Any ideas?

Scott

Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
<table width="566" border="1"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="28">

</td> <td align="center" width="63">
</td> <td align="center" width="453">
AIR system inoperative – Air Injection
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table width="566" border="1"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="28">

</td> <td align="center" width="63">
(O)

</td> <td align="center" width="453">
No Keep Alive Memory power to PCM pin 1 or bad PCM (Memory Test Failure)
</td></tr></tbody></table>
15 code is a key on engine off test code.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:28 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Code 94: Is the AIR injection system still attached and functioning?

Code 15 is a CM only code according to my Ford book. Could be wrong....but the definition is "EEC battery powered Keep Alive Memory (KAM) test failed." This is typically triggered by removing the battery cable to clear the codes.The proper way to clear the codes, and avoid triggering this code, is to remove the test jumper during the code display.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
If the TAD/TAB solenoids are still electronically connected but NO vacuum attached, code 94 will appear in the KOER test. You can just ignore it.

But if you have not disabled/disconnected the TAD/TAB solenoids, their corresponding vacuum lines to the reservoirs, or disabled/removed the smog pump, you need to VERIFY that they do indeed have no broken, brittle, melted nylon lines.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:52 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
If the TAD/TAB solenoids are still electronically connected but NO vacuum attached, code 94 will appear in the KOER test. You can just ignore it.

But if you have not disabled/disconnected the TAD/TAB solenoids, their corresponding vacuum lines to the reservoirs, or disabled/removed the smog pump, you need to VERIFY that they do indeed have no broken, brittle, melted nylon lines.
The emissions manual for the truck states the code 94 is the CCC solenoid in the transmission... And it is appearing in the KOEO test: I need to get rid of the code so the MIL goes out, so i can take it for inspection in NJ...

And yes- all the air pump stuff, etc. is present & operable...
Scott

Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
I just read that code 94 is the CCC for the E4OD and cars, its is the Air Injection.

This sounds like the MLPS may be giving you problems or false information. I'm ONLY guessing. Best bet is to start Googling for an answer. I haven't dealt with E4OD transmission's.

Maybe another poster can jump on the bandwagon.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
I just read that code 94 is the CCC for the E4OD and cars, its is the Air Injection.

This sounds like the MLPS may be giving you problems or false information. I'm ONLY guessing. Best bet is to start Googling for an answer. I haven't dealt with E4OD transmission's.

Maybe another poster can jump on the bandwagon.
Thanks- I hadn't looked at the car side of the manual(It has two separate sections) so that may well be... "MLPS"? The code is a correct one- I just have to get under the truck again, and run an ohmmeter check through the CCC solenoid connection... If it comes out 20-30 ohms, I'm good there, and have to check the harness for a bad lead. Since I have a new harness repair section coming, I'll pull the whole harness, trace it, repair it, and still have a section with a non-latching connector to use for a test lead adapter! If the solenoid is the problem, it is a simple, but costly & time consuming fix: I have to dump the tranny fluid(on my list anyway, due to age), drop the pan & replace the solenoid package.

I'm hoping it is something simple. I wonder if the trans fluid itself could be the problem- Its been sitting for seven or eight years... ??

Scott

Old 04-15-2015, 02:50 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ng19delta
Thanks- I hadn't looked at the car side of the manual(It has two separate sections) so that may well be... "MLPS"? The code is a correct one- I just have to get under the truck again, and run an ohmmeter check through the CCC solenoid connection... If it comes out 20-30 ohms, I'm good there, and have to check the harness for a bad lead. Since I have a new harness repair section coming, I'll pull the whole harness, trace it, repair it, and still have a section with a non-latching connector to use for a test lead adapter! If the solenoid is the problem, it is a simple, but costly & time consuming fix: I have to dump the tranny fluid(on my list anyway, due to age), drop the pan & replace the solenoid package.

I'm hoping it is something simple. I wonder if the trans fluid itself could be the problem- Its been sitting for seven or eight years... ??

Scott
If the fluid has been sitting for that long, I would highly suggest draining it and the torque converter. Check the solenoid when you drain and do whatever repairs are needed. That fluid is degraded due to age and any friction properties it had are long gone. The simple fix may just be 12-14 quarts of fresh fluid. Don't hold that to me as gospel, but you may only need to do it to rule that "Variable" out of the equation.

Quiet simply, if I work in an unknown truck that needs an oil change, fuel filter change and intake cleaned, I start with fuel filter, then, run some Techron, Seafoam, MMO, B12 Chemtool through the fuel system, and then through the intake, and then I start with a fresh oil change. Usually about 500-1000 miles and another oil change. Its all in an order with process of elimination. Just to give you an idea.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
I'll be damned.....another Fordism...completely different Code definitions for trucks versus cars. I apologize.....

Digging deeper into the TRUCK definition of Code 94 that indicates the PCM did not sense a change in the CCC solenoid when commanded. Could be as simple as a bad connection on the solenoid block. I highly doubt it's an issue caused by the Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS). The Solenoid block connector is located on the passenger side of the transmission behind a small heat shield. There is a reason why Ford changed the connector design in 1995..it's susceptible to water, grease, oil intrusion.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Thanks RLA for pinpointing the CCC. I'm E4OD dumb and as of right now, didn't know that.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Thanks RLA for pinpointing the CCC. I'm E4OD dumb and as of right now, didn't know that.

Thanks again for the help.
mehhhh. you know more than i do.
all i know about the E40D is i don't own any.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:26 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Originally Posted by rla2005
I'll be damned.....another Fordism...completely different Code definitions for trucks versus cars. I apologize.....

Digging deeper into the TRUCK definition of Code 94 that indicates the PCM did not sense a change in the CCC solenoid when commanded. Could be as simple as a bad connection on the solenoid block. I highly doubt it's an issue caused by the Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS). The Solenoid block connector is located on the passenger side of the transmission behind a small heat shield. There is a reason why Ford changed the connector design in 1995..it's susceptible to water, grease, oil intrusion.
The reason I'm replacing the lever position sensor connector is because a DPO had broken the tabs off of it, as well! I am going to give the ohmmeter another shot tonight:L it is not raining, and I also want to replace the crud encapsulated fuel filter... So, while I'm under there... lol...

If the fluid has been sitting for that long, I would highly suggest draining it and the torque converter. Check the solenoid when you drain and do whatever repairs are needed. That fluid is degraded due to age and any friction properties it had are long gone. The simple fix may just be 12-14 quarts of fresh fluid. Don't hold that to me as gospel, but you may only need to do it to rule that "Variable" out of the equation.

Quiet simply, if I work in an unknown truck that needs an oil change, fuel filter change and intake cleaned, I start with fuel filter, then, run some Techron, Seafoam, MMO, B12 Chemtool through the fuel system, and then through the intake, and then I start with a fresh oil change. Usually about 500-1000 miles and another oil change. Its all in an order with process of elimination. Just to give you an idea.
I'm working through those changes of fluids- personal economy is having a bit of a go at them... But- I already have the new filter & gasket for it on the shelf: I'll probably build the filter clip if there is not one there already. And I agree about the fluids: I am hoping an ohmmeter reading will reveal the solenoid to be OK, and then I'll swap fluids, change the connector, and hope for the best!

Thanks!
Scott

Old 04-15-2015, 09:11 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Checked tonight, and went to clear the codes: the 94 is still there, but the 15 has converted, and is a 11 (normal- no report) now! Yay... Just need to get this CCC issue worked out, and we're golden...

Thanks!
Scott