Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Freshman User

bflora is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pre-Pump Fuel Filter Question

All,

Moving this over from the "bio-fuel" sections. Anyhow, new here, and was hoping for a bit of assistance as it relates to after market fuel filters. I recently had the 'Driven Diesel Performance' hutch kit installed (here Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit), and the BF1212 filter appears to have impacted my fuel pressure due to the low micron rating.

It's my understanding it has sufficient flow rating, but the truck just doesn't have the same power it did before this mod. Unfortunately, I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, so I'm blaming the filter without any real proof it's the culprit.

Maybe I'm guessing wrong, and could circumvent the filter as a test, but thought trying something like BF7759 (aka "strainer" type) would be an easier task. After a some research, I can't use the BF7759, as it's a 1-12 and my filter head is a 1-14.

Note, still have my OEM fuel bowl, with a newly installed Motorcraft filter.

With all that said, is a BF1212 style the best for this set-up, and if not, what fuel strainer/filter is recommend pre-pump (OEM rail) to ensure optimal fuel pressure along with extending the life of my OEM fuel pump? I'd rather not install a Carter "assistance" pump to pull from the tank to the filter, as I first want to determine if simply adjusting the filter is the first step here, and it's just another thing to worry about.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to all
timmyboy76 seadooya
ya, that i think is, way to low of a micron rating being pre-pump and also having the stock fuel filter. I'd install this

Wix 33239 & Napa 3239 Fuel Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

here's a list of 1-14 threaded spin ons

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..208k and counting
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Pre-pump should be much more of a screen than a filter. A simple inline filter would be sufficient.

If you are using alternative fuels, it should be filtered for particulate matter before putting it in your tank to remove the big stuff. The prepump filter is just to protect the pump.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
i never had a problem with the 1212,,did you give time for the air to work out of it?? are you sure you have a nice tight seal from the tank all the way to the heads?? you really need to put a psi gauge on there..
here is the specs for the 1212
Flow Rates:
210 GPH @ 1 PSID
300+ GPH @ 3 PSID

Other Specs:
Capacity in Grams: 32.4
Filtration: 4 micron @ 86% / 20 micron @ 99%
Burst Pressure: 150psi
Collapse Pressure: 100psid

you can also run the baldwin 1252..it is whats recomended for the high flow pumps like the fuelab..here is the specs for the 1252

Flow Rates:
Greater than 210 GPH @ 1 PSID
Greater than 300+ GPH @ 3 PSID

Other Specs:
Capacity in Grams: 59
Filtration: 9 micron @ 86% / 40 micron @ 99%
Burst Pressure: 150psi
Collapse Pressure: 100psid
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,SRP 1.1 for oil,H-11 stud's,"NEW" alliant 315/200 hybrids, all supplied by unlimited diesel..shimmed 910's, DI push rod's, Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401 ..tuned by Gearhead..

1988 F250 7,3 IDI with 112k-bone stock plow truck..
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Posting Guru

dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have 3 filters. The pre-pump filter is high micron (to catch chunks), the other two in the engine compartment are around 10 micron.
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I did what you did, installed a fuel pressure gauge, filled my underwear, then installed a proper pre-pump screen.

Before:

Click the image to open in full size.

After:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
Pre-pump should be much more of a screen than a filter. A simple inline filter would be sufficient.

If you are using alternative fuels, it should be filtered for particulate matter before putting it in your tank to remove the big stuff. The prepump filter is just to protect the pump.
I Agree.. Trying to find what micron level of the filter i used ? . I think it was around 30-50 but can't find it. Been in there since i installed it.. I just noticed it has been a few years and i probably should pick a new one up. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...t-numbers.html

I would think anything less in size than the screen size in the pump is fine as long as you still have your factory filter.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Freshman User

I really appreciate all the replies, and thoughts so far!

I agree that I need a fuel pressure gauge, but not something I can do immediately. My local pats store has the Napa 3239, so I'm going to try it later today or tomorrow.

Anyhow, I left out part of the story - when I had the hutch installed with the BF1212, I didn't make it a mile down the road until my fuel pump went out. It's my understanding the fuel bump was weak from the in-tank OEM pick-up and screens being clogged, and the primary reason I did the mod. Anyhow, after cleaning the OEM screens a few months ago, the truck ran fantastic, but I wanted the screen outside of the tank, so I could change without dropping it. To clarify, I ran the truck for weeks after cleaning the in-tank filters, and then later had the hutch installed.

Why was my filters clogged? I think for many reasons, but primarily due to my fuel neck rusting out, which was the first thing I replaced.

Again, I'm guessing the low micro filter was the last blow & just enough to end the life of the pump

Before the mod, with a "weak pump", I still had some impressive "get-up and go", and note, I didn't actually do the install myself, but sure the shop got all the air out, as it's been on for a few weeks now.

Lastly, the BF1212 seems like a great filter, but when I get over 2000 RPMs (or what I'd call putting it on a "load" test), it just doesn't have the power it did before the mod.

Maybe I don't need a filter, as my tank is clean as a whistle and my fuel neck is brand new?!?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
I did what you did, installed a fuel pressure gauge, filled my underwear, then installed a proper pre-pump screen.
I would have changed my underwear before changing filters, but different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
FWIW, I've been running a Dahl 2 micron pre-pump filter on my OBS for probably 6 years now with ZERO issues. Having a proper filter on the suction side of the pump doesn't hurt anything....

I'm fixing to install the same kit from Strictly Diesel, but I'm also installing the post-pump filter kit, and regulated return w/ bowl delete. I already have the stuff, just need to install.
Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC PSD- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel full fuel system, S365..
1994 F-150 4x4

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Freshman User

@strokin'_tatsch - Are you running an OEM rail-mounted fuel pump?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflora View Post
@strokin'_tatsch - Are you running an OEM rail-mounted fuel pump?
I have run both an OEM SD rail mounted pump and a walbro pump on this setup. It worked fine. Eventually I started to see a pressure drop with the stock SD pump when I'd go WOT, hints the switch to a walbro pump. The SD pump started having trouble holding pressure after I switched to bigger injector nozzles. I believe that if I were to change the design of the regulated return on that truck I wouldn't have had the pressure drop with that pump. We'll see soon enough. Same size injectors are getting thrown at my SD with a better RR design and the stock SD pump.
Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC PSD- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel full fuel system, S365..
1994 F-150 4x4

Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Freshman User

Well, got the Napa 3239 on there, and can't report it officially made a difference - I didn't really get to test, as this ("Shifter Shortage") http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...tch-short.html happened to me during (after fueling, I went to put the truck in Drive, and heard a pop) - SOB!!!! Anyhow, just proof I need to get to reading more content here on the forum to determine what other preventive maintenance if needed - getting towed sucks!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Posting Guru

crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.
I pull 19k gross up hills,with no problems using Strictly diesels Prepump BF1212 filter,factory lift pump has 218k with truck in signature.
01 F350 PSD LARIAT CC SB SRW 4X4 4R100 218K 373 GEARS,265/75R16 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY,HUTCH&HARPOON,PREPUMP FUEL FILTER,4" EXHAUST,AIS, COOLANT FILTER,[ ISSPRO PERFORMAX GAUGES TRANY,BOOST,EGT ] AIRBAGS,STABLE LOADS,SUPER HITCH,RS9000 SHOCKS,ODDESSY BATTERIES,NIPPON G-REDUCTION STARTER,PARTS ON BENCH FRX,HPX.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM