1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Smokey Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
RoughinIt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokey Build Thread

Well here it is Bill. Sorry it is a little late. We (Bill and I) have a long run ahead of us, but we will be trying to assemble "Smokey"(the basketcase) this week. He has already noticed a few setbacks, but main point is we need to get it running(or see if it will run...). I believe he has a few pictures, hopefully he will see this and post them up soon. We will try to keep everyone posted throughout the process. Wish us luck! I guess I got knowledge on my side just not so much luck(Bill is not known for that)!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Bill is just having a small string of bad luck, makes him tough! LOL You have the best helping you, treat him good. LOL

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Its gonna be just peachey.you might even be driving it before this stupid weather decides to be spring.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the truck as we got it. It is a '96 F250 XLT 4x4 automatic with 160k + miles on it supposedly. We'll know for sure when we get power on the odometer. Our goal is to get it put together far enough to start it and see if it will move, before he has to spend any more money on it. What parts that it is gonna need to run I should have, so the only initial cost of getting it started will be fluids. All the parts for the truck were supposed to be in the bed, which there was a pile of stuff in there, and just looking without actually pulling it out when we went and looked at the truck, we thought it was all there. Well, after I got it in the shop and started dragging all the parts out, there was only one front fender buried under there, and it has a big hole cut in it. Also, there was no torque converter which I specifically asked the guy about, and he said it was down in the bed under the pile of parts. That's no big deal though, we got an extra E4OD with it that has one in it, and I also have one from one of my parts trucks.
Here it is, and it is definitely a basket case, so anybody that wants to come by my shop in the evenings and work on it feel free to stop on by! LOL!! Our goal is to have it started and running, or at least see if it will run by the weekend.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Good luck with your project guys!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a great learning opportunity! Good luck with the build. I wish I was closer, I'd be there to help.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I'd be there in a minute if I lived closer....my claim to fame it seems these days Watching!!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
It's gonna be fun for sure. I just hope it runs good and doesn't have transmission problems.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Bill you might just start drinking again with this one lol

Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
I just love those sexy wheels lol!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 PM
martin72
Elder User
Nice looking project Bill hope you all have fun putting it back together.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just happen to have a "slightly used" E4OD and TQ sitting around. It'll only cost a day of HVAC work. Lol!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribing. Best of luck guys! Keep us posted.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordpride
Bill you might just start drinking again with this one lol
Let's hope not.....it would never get put together then! And if it did....it wouldn't stay together long! LOL!

Originally Posted by fordman67
I just love those sexy wheels lol!
Aren't those just the cat's meow......

Originally Posted by martin72
Nice looking project Bill hope you all have fun putting it back together.
Thanks buddy! We got started on it this evening, and I am enjoying doing this with my son.

Originally Posted by tshrager
I just happen to have a "slightly used" E4OD and TQ sitting around. It'll only cost a day of HVAC work. Lol!
Apparently you don't know what a day of HVAC work costs! LOL!!!

Originally Posted by madMatador78
Subscribing. Best of luck guys! Keep us posted.
Thanks Thomas. I snapped a couple pics this evening, but I left my camera in the shop and I'm not going back out to get it tonight. I'll post some up tomorrow. We got the water pump and turbo on the engine, got the brake booster and master cylinder on and sorted through some parts and the two coffee cans of bolts that were in the bed. I think it's gonna come together pretty good. Tyler may come up this weekend and help. I hope to start it up this weekend.

I'm gonna let Jason have is thread back now

Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 PM
RoughinIt
Freshman User
oh Bill you were doing fine... You said it better than me... I was just going to tell them that we got the one thing bolted on and I took the other thing off the one engine to put on the other and the rusted thing had to be manipulated but finally got that bolted on too... Yea I think that about covers it!

But I really am learning a lot already and hope to learn a lot more, that way I won't be like Tyler and come running and crying to Bill every time I need to work on something.... (oh wait I have no tools, garage, or knowledge...okay so I guess I will be crawling back if something happens too)

I guess first thing is first though and we have to get it running to see if its going to be worth the time and money.... Time will tell

Did anyone else notice that Bill just happen to forget the camera in the garage for my build, does he ever pull that with his truck? I don't think so....

Quick Reply: Smokey Build Thread