"Ticking" sound at high RPM's only on highway...hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 PM
vegtoph
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Ticking" sound at high RPM's only on highway...hmmmm

Here is an interesting one...!

I must admit that over the 8 years I've had my truck I have went through 3 sets of injectors.. all bought from Pensacola Diesel. I run Straight Veg Oil (SVO) for 8 years and about 140,000 miles of pure veg oil. As a disclaimer...

In the past when an injector became clogged i can hear a "tick" sound.. Sounding like an injector or cylinder is starved for fuel.

This is the sound I have now.. I had some codes I cleared using the 50 cent mod and new pigtails... but havent done the drivers side yet.. but my truck isnt throwing codes... hmmmm.

If my truck sits at idle, it starts to puff smoke after a few minutes.. but then clears after running higher RPM's. But if I load the truck on the highway this "Tic" sound comes up.. very quiet. but I still have power ( not tones, the truck has 298,000 on it)

Could this be a fuel metering issue?

I tried running Hot Shot for 2-3,000 miles, and just did another oil change... It happened when I changed a fuel filter and I may have starved the injector of fuel, which is how most of my injectors have been clogged in the past... but when an injector cloggs, I usually have less power as well....which is not the case now...

Any thoughts!! ?? Anyone else experience this?? Really appreciate it!!

Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
My first word of advice is stop throwing stuff in the oil. Especially HSS. What I would do is run a few tanks of regular diesel with Diesel Kleen and see if it can clean up the system. SVO is fine if you understand the risks, but cleaning out the system occasionally is definitely a "should do"

Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would bet you have low fuel psi,

Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 PM
vegtoph
Junior User
Interesting.

I do run Lucus an a full tank of diesel once in a while. I actually just did that. I prefer to "clean" my system with biodiesel, but I'm not among any at the moment.

As far as pressure is concerned, I bought a fuel pressure regulator from diesel o rings. At idle my psi is 60-65 and drops to high 50's lower 60's. stock my truck gets 55 psi.

This is a newer issue over the years, that when I load my truck on the highway it will go from 65-60. It never used to do that. I changed all my filters and it still does it. I dropped my diesel tank and veg tank and all the hoses filter housings and pumps about 2 years ago and cleaned them all to mint. Still had the issue even after that.

Lack of flow perhaps?

I suspect that the spring in my fuel selector valves is old (6 years old) and may not be retracting the plunger fully.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas. Please do let me know your thoughts!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
vegtoph
Junior User
Ya I'm done with HsS. For sure. Just put the ol' Rotella back in her.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 AM
jr2000sd
Senior User
I had a bad tic until i put some HSS in my oil and it went away, also added some 2stroke oil to my tank, a lot of 2stroke oil lol

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM
vegtoph
Junior User
Welp. As I suspected its a bad injector. Number 8. After searching New Orleans for a computer to use to diagnose my truck I finally gave up and dropped the $200 on the ford dealer diagnosis.

The guys where cool and I got to hang out with the guy as he diagnosed my truck and talk about all the work I've done to it.

He ran about 5-6 updates on my computer. He said that one of these updates might fix the sound. Being number 8 injector, the noise reduction injector, I suspect that there is a chance that he could be right. It's not loosing power, just a tick sound that drives me insane!

He said to drive it for a few days and if it doesn't clear to replace number 8 only.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For 150 bucks more you could have your own diagnostic system for the future and never pay the stealership again.

Sorry, thats all the info I can give. Never ran bio but am interested.

AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If it's #8, it could be air in fuel. The quick disconnects on the fuel tank introduce air in the fuel. The fuel bowl is designed to prevent that from reaching the fuel rail, put the pump takes the air in fuel and make foam - more difficult to remove. I did a Hutch/harpoon mod to get rid of the quick-disconnects, and I have a Riffraff Diesel Fuel Rail Crossover (FRx) to address the dead-head issue in the fuel rails.

I'm not saying dig in, I'm saying these trucks are notorious for air in fuel (particularly at this age)... so take that into consideration with your plans.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 AM
jr2000sd
Senior User
What did you do on top of the tank to fix the quick disconnect, air problem

Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Hutch mod - it's all over the forum with a search. It comes down to replacing the stock fuel line with hose and clamps, plus removing screens inside the tank and adding an external fuel screen that's serviceable without dropping the tank.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:43 AM
jr2000sd
Senior User
I have hutch mod and napa spin on water sep, before pump, ill have to swap out my line on my tank with rubber line and clamps then, anyone notice a differenc?

Old 03-28-2014, 09:03 AM
jr2000sd
Senior User
What size line did you replace it with

Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jr2000sd
I have hutch mod and napa spin on water sep, before pump, ill have to swap out my line on my tank with rubber line and clamps then, anyone notice a differenc?
I did the spin-on first, but it absolutely killed my fuel pressure when I stepped on the skinny pedal - I have a permanent fuel pressure gauge on the dash. I have bigger sticks, so your results will vary (a little) from mine.

Originally Posted by jr2000sd
What size line did you replace it with
3/8", but you have to really clamp it to the 5/16" fitting on the fuel pump.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 AM
jr2000sd
Senior User
Almost the same but i think i have a 3405. You wanna chat about fuel pressure? About 8 months ago i got a fpr spring off a site called sixtyeight.com or something and installed it and after that i kept blowing the oring outta my fuel filter cap on the moror,maybe 10 times, well last week it did it again so i went tomy buddys and we put a gauge on it and i had a waping 110 psi of fuel pressure!!! So we took that spring out and put in the gold spring he had from the riffraff frx and now im at about 68psi idle and around 60 wot, with that napa filter

Quick Reply: "Ticking" sound at high RPM's only on highway...hmmmm