Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Exhaust Thermostat on my 239 Y-Block???

Well,
I got my exhaust manifolds cleaned up and put on and I'm ready to put the crossover pipe back on. I was wondering if I needed to put the exhaust thermostat back on, so I began to look for a replacement.....well, It's not in my parts catalog and Dennis Carpenter has one for 1965.

What's up with that? The engine was rebuilt sometime around 1970. Was this added on at that time? Is it necessary? If I don't put it on, will it mess up the spacing?

Here is the one I have
Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, I was able to get the exhaust studs at Orschlen's. I guess those studs are still used everywhere. (But they didn't have the nuts for the open end, they don't carry much fine thread stuff. Off to Ace Hardware tomorrow.)
Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
If memory serves me right, they're called heat risers. Diverts exhaust through the intake manifold when engine is cold. If you leave it out, the crossover pipe will not fit exactly right. Yours appears to be in decent shape. Free it up and install it. Last time I saw a new one advertised, it was big $$$.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Thanks Ray,
The one from Dennis Carpenter for the 1965 was listed at $50.
I didn't think the crossover would fit right if I didn't have it, thanks for the assurance.

So I have a couple of questions. Where does the lose end of the spring attach?
Also, more academic here, how does it divert the exhaust to the intake?

Parts like these make me wish I had a sand blasting cabinet.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Joe,
I think you're missing a pin that the spring hooks to. I bought a NOS one about a month ago on eBay for 25-30 Bucks. Mine was missing and I couldn't get the cross over pipe to seat without leaking without it. Here's a picture out of my 56 Manual.
Name:  Heat Riser.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  90.1 KB
All works in progress
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
OBTW with the butter fly closed the exhaust gases take the path of least resistance and back up through the intake manifold and into the other exhaust manifold bypassing the valve until it gets warm and opens up.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
All works in progress
Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Do your intake, and yourself, a favor. Unless you live in cold country, tie it open. When these stick shut, the driver's side head cracks between 6&7. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. That's why Albatross now sports a 292 and a new exhaust.
Well, it's because a PO thought that they were fixing the broken spring and tied it shut by mistake. Sad, but true.
They are needed in the exhaust to get the spacing right. You could braze or weld it up open and never miss it if you don't live in cold weather land. Otherwise, buy a good used one. They're out there. I got manifolds, crossover, and a good valve for ~$70 shipped. The guy wrapped them all together with shrink wrap, boxed the mess with extra cardboard for packing, and they arrived in great shape.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Cut the butterfly out and weld up the holes and never look back.
That's my old school story that I am sticking to. It's way better than having it stick
shut and try and trouble shoot it. Ya will think all kinds of things are wrong except
that damn valve being stuck.
So it may be a bit cold blooded in the dead of winter. But ya most likely
will never miss it. But ya need it for the spacer to get the exhaust header
pipe to fit. Think about it, aftermarket headers don't come with that do they?

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
Here's a picture out of my 56 Manual.
Whoa! Read the manual, that's crazy talk. Actually the 54-55 Manual doesn't mention it. I did see it in the complete engine picture. (I didn't think to look at the manual until after I read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Think about it, aftermarket headers don't come with that do they?
That's what I was thinking. I will get that valve either tied open or removed and go from there.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 AM