Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cab corners/inner cab corners

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 PM
eviljmizfit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cab corners/inner cab corners

Hello I just bought a 1987 Ford F-250 supercab 6.9 ive been reading on these forums since then and have got a lot of help with issues since but as of right now im wondering about the cab corners both side are gone left side is worse I cut it out and the bottom and back part is rusted also and I want to replace it all just don't know how never done body work ive found the cab corners but don't know about the inner and bottom part any help thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 PM
damarble
Elder User
Who has the super cab corners? I thought only reg cab corners where out there, that's good to know. I'm doing the outer skin on one of mine and just cut some good metal from a donor.

The inner bracing is pretty simple and you could just hand bend some pieces, it doesn't have to be pretty. My inner is intact and it's opened up now, I can get you a pic if it helps.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
eviljmizfit
New User
Yeah lmc and ebay have them plus other sites yea pics would be nice ill post what I have tomorrow I have a friend who said I can use his Mig welder I have never welded before so its gonna be new to me

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM
damarble
Elder User
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That looks all too familiar.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14041623

I ended up making my own patch panels from sheetmetal I harvested from the rusty bed that I was replacing at the same time, though places like Bronco Graveyard and LMC carry replacement patch panels. If you've never used a welder before, I'd suggest a fair amount of practice using the same gauge sheetmetal you'll be welding before attempting to weld in your new panels.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM
eviljmizfit
New User
Yeah that's what ive been told I'd like tp replace my bed also its not in the worst shape but it will need some work both rear bottom corners on it were crushed at some point and some of the cargo holes are broke a friend gave a idea of fiberglassing the cab corners since im not looking for a show truck just want something solid

Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Had the same problem, paint bubbled up little rust figured it was the skin until got into it, damaged extended well beyond it.

Looked like this once skin was removed,

copied damaged section, two pieces bent then weld to each other make up the part. (laying on ground "top" side down)

Piece bent as needed recreate the inner wall first (stickers on it in image)

Then bottom channel recreated in second image added in with the inner wall (what would be the center wall, inner wall inside cab) section repaired with new metal cut bent welded in place.

that was all coated with etching primer then plastic roof cement over that before outer repair panel welded in place,

Seam hidden behind body side molding, didn't need to be as its undetectable but appeared to be the appropriate location for it, the repair panel itself was much taller than that though. Repair panel ya get is a fairly large piece up just beyond body line, full wrap around at rear and extends into door jamb.

I started by removing the rear interior of the truck, back seat, trim, carpet etc etc, then sand blasting all rust away before adding new metal.

Have more complete set of pictures but didn't want to overload the board/thread, hope gives you more to go on as sounds like its damage is equal that of yours.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
damarble
Elder User
Nice work danr1. I was going to do mine at the trimline too but I probably won't use any trim so it might not matter. Did you drill any holes through the interior panel to access the back of the weld for rustproofing?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:48 AM
eviljmizfit
New User
Yeah its pretty bad drivers side mainly passenger side is not too bad i still have bed on im guessing im gonna have to remove it to do it right

Old 03-18-2014, 11:12 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by damarble
Nice work danr1. I was going to do mine at the trimline too but I probably won't use any trim so it might not matter. Did you drill any holes through the interior panel to access the back of the weld for rustproofing?
Thanks and would like to add it was my second attempt at body work, I paid a buddy to do the painting I did the metal work. (I've been welding for years though, lots of practice on thick and thin stuff)

As far as access to it after the fact no I really didn't need to, coated everything before closing it up real good including the back side of repair panel itself.

Even though it's no longer driven, hasn't seen a salt covered road in years, I did quite a bit of work on it to prevent rust anyway, no way to get in its all sealed up underneath/everywhere.

Yea best bet remove the box get it out of the way but be sure any metal work done will still line up to it. I took careful measurements from the frame etc after removing the box and before cutting the corner out, did so so I knew where the replacement metal should land and line up to it once it was bolted back on.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eviljmizfit
...a friend gave a idea of fiberglassing the cab corners since im not looking for a show truck just want something solid
If you're taking the time to repair it, you might as well do it right and replace the sheetmetal.

Originally Posted by eviljmizfit
...i still have bed on im guessing im gonna have to remove it to do it right
Yep.