1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best route for Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Yeah, been trying to source locally, but no one supplies them here, that's why I was wondering whether there was a rod/ fabric option. Ta guys.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
For a '48 you should also check with Classic Haulers.
Search - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts
I purchased the ABS headliner (originally made by Roddoors) I was extremely pleased with the fit. It isn't perfect but considering the complex shape it was great. I made other panels myself and can appreciate the fit.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raytasch had a post here the other day saying Dennis Carpenter had a special on oversize flat rate shipping; also if you go out on fleabay he sells the headliners there and shipping is the same $14.95 for the 48-52 which includes the eight piece kit; kick panels, side panels & below window. 56 headliner only shipping is $9.95. I'm thinking about ordering one this week.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Not meaning to whine, but shipping down under is a killer. Oops, too late, whinge detected...

Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While on the topic of headliners: I have read that installing the hardboard is a pita. I've got a '53 that I intend to put one in later this summer. Does anyone have any tips or tricks about the install process? Is there a forum link that I should go looking for on this subject? Thanks.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Here is what the abs headliner for my 48 looks like. It can be painted or covered. We decided to order up some headliner material and get it covered and hopefully it should be done in a couple of weeks. The headliner came from Classic Haulers.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
That is the headliner that I used and it fit very well. I recommend it. I covered it with headliner material. I did drill the headliner and cab to install blind offset fasteners about every 6 inches over the doors. I did not use the 2 pieces either side of the rear window since I made a panel that goes from the floor (and around the gas tank) to the lower edge of the larger piece in the photo. That panel is covered with the interior fabric that I bought for that area and the upper area of the door panels. I have not done the door panels yet.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
emay
Senior User
I too went the ABS route with the one from mid fifty. Upholstered with black suade and 1/8" padding. I really like the end result, vast change in the feel of the interior.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by emay
I too went the ABS route with the one from mid fifty. Upholstered with black suade and 1/8" padding. I really like the end result, vast change in the feel of the interior.

Boy that looks good. I like the two tone seats especially how the center of the seat carried over to the visors and doors.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by emay

How did the abs mount? Any close pictures of it?

Does it use the same retainer rubber and clips?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay away from the cardboard if you can. They are impossible to install. You need 12 arms.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 AM
GJCAT
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
headliner

In my 56 I used the ABS from Mid Fifty. I picked it up at the F100 Mationals to save shipping. The fit was very good and I only had to trim at the back window(its a big back window). I then painted it with gray SMS paint. Fit is still very good, I even found sheets of ABS panel board and made my own kick panels, One hint make sure you fit them in hot weather, they will shrink in winter and expand in the spring, much like vinyl siding.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM
emay
Senior User
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
How did the abs mount? Any close pictures of it?

Does it use the same retainer rubber and clips?
No rubber is used to install at the front. Up front there are just tabs on the backside that go over the lip of the window rubber channel. There is also a tab above each side window. In the rear the back window rubber over laps it. I did not take any close ups.

It is a very straight forward install and fit is great. It is a tight fit though so it takes some patience to move it into it's home. I did it twice, once to mock it up and trim the dome light holes, then I pulled it out to upholster and re-install. Second time was a breeze.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
lm987
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headliner installation

I also got my headliner at Sac. Vintage Ford in a kit with the other back-of -cab covers. All of it fit quite well. The only issue I had was pushing the headliner in too far above the windshield which left a gap above the back window which I then had to reposition the headliner. I would advise putting in the covers at the back of the cab around the rear window first and then the headliner. Also spraying the back of the pieces that are to be curved with a solution of 80% household ammonia and 20% water will greatly aid in the bending. Just moistened , not soaked.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im987: I am assuming that when you mention the rubber channel at the windshield and the water/ ammonia mix you are referring to the installation of a hardboard liner. I see that on my cab (currently with no headliner) there are two holes in the sheet metal headliner support at the cab ceiling for a couple of screws. Was there any problem locating these screw locations after the headliner was in? You mention it being loose enough in the rubber channel so that it can move back and forth a bit.

Quick Reply: Best route for Headliner