6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DFCM won't stop draining

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:42 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
DFCM won't stop draining

I am changing fuel filters for the first time. I started by draining the DFCM into a quart container, but after that filled up 6 times I switched to a bucket. So far I have drained over 2 gallons and it shows no signs of stopping. Initially the truck was on a slight incline. That's the way I have always done fuel filters, with the tank lower than the filter. After the first gallon came out, I rolled the truck down to level ground. Any ideas?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to unscrew the bowl about three turns BEFORE you start draining it. Apparently unscrewing it will shut a valve that prevents gravity flow from the tank to the filter.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2... Bowl has to be unscrewed ...I havent done mine yet but Ive read this in previous posts as well.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. That would be good information for them to include in the owners manual.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:14 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elee3
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. That would be good information for them to include in the owners manual.
The manual (diesel supplement) does mention this:

Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TRENT310

Yours might, but mine doesn't. I have read through it at least five times. I started this last night and continued this morning. Through frustration, I have gone back to the diesel supplement page 41 many times.

Step 1 Drain the DFCM
Step 2 Remove the lower portion of the DFCM by turning it counterclockwise using a 32mm socket.

I am a very mechanically adept person (have to be for my job) so I am bad about not reading instructions closely (usually don't have to). Because I know this about myself, I was really looking in the supplement for something that I was missing.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Originally Posted by TRENT310

You beat me to finding it. I knew it was in the manual somewhere about loosening it before draining.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
You beat me to finding it. I knew it was in the manual somewhere about loosening it before draining.
What page are y'all finding that note on? I believe you, but I can't find it. It's probably right in front of my face.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:48 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
My Diesel Supplement (2012 Diesel (67I) Supplement, 2nd Printing USA) doesn't mention loosening the bowl either:

EDIT - Section sited below is actually how to drain the DFCM which is what is referenced in the filter replacement steps. No mention anywhere in this release of the document about loosening the bowl.

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
It's good that they were sure to tell you that it may be hazardous to drain it while the vehicle is moving. Sort of like putting a warning on a coffee cup that the contents may be hot. Sort of expect the coffee to be hot.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well... always download the latest manual from the manufacturer website I guess. (I mean we're already using a computing device of some sort if we're asking on a forum.) Same goes with any other equipment I deal with, not just vehicles, they update documentation all the time. I've never seen a manual that was written perfectly the first time, especially if it's one of those thick multi-volume ones that describe maintennace and alignment procedures and stuff. The old practice was to mail out addendums that you would staple onto the book.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:08 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Checked on the Ford site. Under the 2012 model year, there is a link to the 3rd printing of the Diesel Supplement but the section regarding filter replacement is identical to what I have in the 2nd printing. Here is a link:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../1260l6d3e.pdf

Once you check for a newer model year (in this case, the 2013) the manual DOES in fact include the steps to loosen the bowl:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../1360l6d1e.pdf

Since the site is set up to search for your model year, it's unlikely someone would go to a different year expecting more complete data. Ford may want to at least update the online version for 2012.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
I had to pause this project and go play a round of golf. It was 70 degrees out (21C) and sunny, but too windy to fish. I have to take advantage of the weather before it gets hot. Anyway, after I got home I tried the three turns before draining trick and it worked like a charm. I got a little less than a quart of diesel out before it stopped. This is a much easier filter change than the 6.0 was. I also like that you can really clean out the housing and the WIF sensors. On the 6.0 I had to spray carb cleaner through the drain hole to flush out what I could.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Smokeispower
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem for me changing the filters, had a 6.0 before and the 6.7 is easier. Just let it drain for a while and then slowly apply torque to the big nut to ease the whole thing out. This change was at 21,000 km and it looks like it was about the right time.
I cut both filters apart. Lots of little bits of all kinds of stuff caught in the paper, as well as the overall sooty sort of color, but even under high magnification it does not look to be clogged. I think next time I'll change them a bit sooner, maybe 15,000 km and see how they look. Can't seem to post pics or I would.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Just changed mine this morning for the first time. Opened the drain valve per the most current instructions available on the Ford Owners site. Drained about 1.5 gallons, stopped, looked up why it wasn't stopping on here, tried the 3 turns of the bowl, then drained about a pint until it stopped. Lesson learned: always check on here for the REAL procedure before doing maintenance. Ford should put out a dedicated supplement for this filter replacement.

Quick Reply: DFCM won't stop draining