General Automotive Discussion

Anyone own a Hyundai?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Anyone own a Hyundai?

my sister just bought a 2014 Elantra on my most strenuous recommendations. She was prepared to get the 2014 Focus, drove both, priced both and it came down to warranty.

Hyundai offers the most comprehensive new car warranty available for the same money as other vehicles in it's class. All car builders could do this.

I will have a hard time saying Yes to Ford when I purchase my sedan. The quality is there, my relationship is there and my trust is there but the warranty is not. To match Hyundai's warranty, I would have to purchase an ESP or a dealer provided warranty.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Focus to replace a 2009 Hyundai Accent. The fit and finish, power, quality, and overall everything of the Ford is a significant improvement over the Hyundai. Now, I did have a lower end model, but with just over 80k on the clock it was already having transmission issues, was almost through it's third set of tires, and was burning about a quart (out of 3.5qt) every 5k despite only running full synthetic with a 5k change interval since brand new(factory spec was 7.5k). Alignment was also a ******* on it, it went in to Firestone every 5k when the tires were rotated and balanced at Discount, and every time something had moved. To the point I went under it and started checking things, it didn't appear that Firestone was screwing up too bad. I think the alignment was why it ran through tires so fast, other than it had 14" rims so there wasn't much there to begin with. It had three failed factory radios before I gave up taking it back to the dealer, two failed brake pedal switches (common on my year apparently, but easy enough to R&R), and fuel economy that I feel was just as misleading as the 2011-2013 models that went through a lawsuit over misstated numbers.

I never got to try the warranty on the trans, the car was totaled in January when the adjuster reported about $3500 worth of damage to it, that exceeded whatever threshold the insurance company had on a 2009 with 80k on it that stickered at over $16k. Minus 1 point for apparently having less residual value than my 1998 Triumph motorcycle. I didn't cut or crack the rear bumper cover on the car I slid into (note: slid, because the Hyundai didn't have ABS and the brakes locked up), and the car behind me could probably have gotten away with wiping my paint off their bumper. I'm lucky that I replaced the second failed brake pedal switch and that it didn't fail a third time before the accident, or the guy behind me wouldn't have had brake lights to see.

I don't miss the Hyundai at all. It was an underpowered 4 speed auto turd that didn't get better than 27 commuting to work and barely broke 30mpg on the highway with a 1.6L I4. The Focus with the 2.0L (non-EB) is getting 40 on my commute, and broke 45mpg on a straight highway trip to San Antonio. Not by the computer numbers either. I put 520 miles on a car with at most a 12.5 gallon tank that's been consistently taking 11.5 gallons to fill. I'd rather buy the ESP than deal with all the negatives of the Hyundai. It was a good car for what it was: a dirt cheap beater that had a powertrain warranty that outlasts the rest of the car. It sucked for what it was supposed to be good at, which was good fuel economy.

And a disclaimer, I have exactly zero loyalty to Ford when it comes to passenger cars. I looked at Mazda, Hyundai, Honda, and VW to replace the Hyundai, and so far the Focus was a good choice. I couldn't afford a new TDI Jetta, and was pretty torn up over potential HPFP issues on a used one. That would have been my #1 choice if the numbers had worked out.

I don't want to seem like I'm needlessly bashing on Hyundai, but my ownership experience was not overall very positive. And there was nothing that a longer warranty could have made better about it.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I've heard plenty of negatives about the Hyundai and Kia, essentially the same car. But I've heard plenty of good stories as well. I hope I didn't send my sister on a new car experience.

As a disclaimer, my 2010 Focus has about 40K on it now. It has reached as much as 40 MPG's, the car is solid, runs fantastic and the only issue that I've had to date is a rear trunk lid strut broke. I bought this car for my daughter because of it's list of standard safety features. I had to replace the OE tires at 38K miles. Not bad.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Read the maintenance on the Hyundai carefully. They used to (maybe still do) call for a timing belt change at 60k miles. If you go over that and the belt breaks, it often takes the head out with it. They won't cover that under warranty because the maintenance plan wasn't followed. If you take it somewhere to have the belt done it's around $700. A new belt and rebuilding the head cost a friend of mine $2800.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I have seen good and Extremely bad out of Hyundai /Kia . I have seen quality issues from electronics ,auto tranny's , and structural rusting ( not even in the salt belt ! ) . I also see many with just normal upkeep with over 300K . I see it as a coin toss with them . I do own a Kia , 98 model , with just over 150k . I bought it with 60K . Only issues other than normal upkeep , 3 fuel pumps ! last 2 under warranty , and a broken driver seat back , I only weigh 160lbs . I still get 38mpg out of the little 1.8 ltr 5 speed . But Parts are EXPENSIVE . My 78 is cheaper to repair by far !

Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I have a friend who is a service adviser at Southern Kia / GMC in Virginia Beach, Va. Last weekend while at my daughter's softball game we were talking cars. She was complaining like a sailor because she had to work the Kia side of the house for a few weeks. She explained that when she works the GMC side of the house she makes really good money because as she puts it, "these POS always break down". She stated that the Kia's have become very reliable and she earns less money as a Kia service adviser.

To listen to her was very disheartening for me because I was hoping to hear something totally different. It's not that I want GM to succeed because I hate GM more than any other company in business right now but it pisses me off that the Koreans are willing to build a decent quality car and actually back it with a great warranty. Ford could do this and not really get hurt.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Read the maintenance on the Hyundai carefully. They used to (maybe still do) call for a timing belt change at 60k miles. If you go over that and the belt breaks, it often takes the head out with it. They won't cover that under warranty because the maintenance plan wasn't followed. If you take it somewhere to have the belt done it's around $700. A new belt and rebuilding the head cost a friend of mine $2800.
Since 2011 the Hyundai has used a timing chain.
You can not compare the older 2010 down with the 2011 up.
Since their completely different cars. They did a complete upgrade in 2011.
I have rented two Hyundai Elantra on two different occasions & I loved the car. My brother rents cars all the time & like the newer Ford Focus, as he likes the newer Hyundai Elantra. Both good cars. The big difference is not only the warranty but the fuel mileage of the Hyundai is also better. The two I rented one got 38 mpg combined highway/city the second one I got 41 mpg combined. Freeway driving was 80 mph. My brother said about 34-36 on the Focus.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 AM
ep3_lol
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know several people that have day to day experience with Hyundais and I've also heard plenty of mixed reviews. I personally wouldn't touch one. The Genesis coupe is by all accounts complete garbage, and while not everyone is looking for a sports car, if they build the worst car in its class in that case, what does that say about the rest of the lineup?

I also find most of them ugly.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
I also find most of them ugly.

I guess you must think the Ford Focus is also ugly?

It is so funny how since Hyundai's complete change in 2011 to the Elantra. (I guess I'm assuming that is the model we are talking about?)
that so many have taken on the lines & shape of the Hyundai Elantra the new 2013-14 Ford Focus for one.

AGAIN, in COMPARING THE ELANTRA remember they are not at all the same car since 2011.
As for the higher end cars, I have no idea, but I'm sure the Genesis is thousands less than it next closest class car.

I'm not defending Hyundai but I would buy a new Elantra myself. The prices also. I have seen new 14 Elantra's on sale for $15,995 here.

As I said I rented two of them & drove the heck out of both of them & really liked them. One negative is road noise. But I'm old & deaf & could hear the XM radio just great on a lower volume.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 PM
ep3_lol
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Focus hatch somehow pulls all the crazy lines together right and looks OK. Sedan, not so much. I just don't find this attractive:

Perhaps if there were a hatchback version it would be ok.

The Genesis coupe starts at over $26k. That's smack in the middle of the class.