Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2014, 01:38 AM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Nighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant future
95 PSD bad trans.

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1995 F250 4x4 SCLB with the PSD engine, and auto trans for $1,500. The reason for the low price is that the transmission is shot, and it has 400k. I have never owned a diesel, hence my post here. I have not seen the truck yet (am waiting on pics to be emailed to me) but am told it is an ex-construction truck. Interior is beat up, and the exterior has its fair share of dents, but the engine is still running strong. A fellow FTE'er is selling it.

I was wondering if it would be a good truck to replace my two current trucks. The Bronco gets 12 mpg at best around town, and the F350 8 mpg. If this truck will get better than that, then it seems like it would be worth putting a trans in it, and selling both my trucks. Then I could use it as a daily driver, or to go four wheeling when I get the chance, and save $$$ on fuel when towing a vehicle on the car trailer I have. Would like some thoughts on this. I have heard some people say not to use a diesel as a daily driver, but that seems ludicrous to me as I see them on the road all the time. I realize the cost of diesel is higher than gas (at least around here it is) but the better fuel mileage of the diesel makes up for that I would think. Of course, that all depends on what mileage this truck would get.

I love my Bronco, and my F350, however, if I can get this truck to do what they both do, and get better mileage in the process, then I think it would be worth it to buy it, and put in a rebuilt trans, or just have the one in it rebuilt. Thoughts?

Jim
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Posting Guru

DarkStarMedia is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i would say that you could get 12-16 mpg depending on the configuration.it could certainly replace the f350, might still be cheaper to run the bronco for daily driving if you are getting 12mpg in it. you can run low test in the bronco which seems to be $1-.50 cheaper per gallon.

richard
Old 03-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.
the last truck I bought was a '97 with a bad trans and 300,000 miles. I paid $250.00 for it.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Nighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant future
One truck to do all three tasks would be an ideal situation, and one less truck to insure would also save me some money. The Bronco gets 12 on a good day, most the time it is 10-11, and currently it is just as bad as the F350, as it is running rich. My biggest fear is that I know next to nothing about diesels, and that I am getting in over my head here. Of course, I will know more about it once I see some pics.

Jim
Old 03-15-2014, 09:16 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by helifixer View Post
the last truck I bought was a '97 with a bad trans and 300,000 miles. I paid $250.00 for it.
I would love to find a '97 with a bad trans for $250. I would pick it up tomorrow. LOL

Jim
Old 03-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel