Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Got a CEL tonight

Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a CEL tonight

Plugged in my SCT when I got home, P1450 code. "Unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum" I did a search here but nothing in the 09-up section. Google search provided this from another forum

P1450 Error Code Excessive Fuel tank Vacuum - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I'm still googling but it seems I need to start by cleaning out the lines and evap which I'm not sure where its located. I'm going to get on a creeper tomorrow morning and have a peek but just wanted to see if any of my brothers ( or sisters ) here have had this issue. I just turned 35K miles, and I also just made my last payment, wtf right? TIA for replies

Old 03-14-2014, 09:17 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
I'm also wondering would this be considered part of the emissions system and would it be covered outside the 3/36 warranty

Old 03-16-2014, 06:48 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
OK so here is what I found so far. Nothing appeared to be kinked or broken, however there was one screw that looked to be missing on the side facing the rear, bottom right corner. 3 blue screws( #s 9, 10, 14) the bottom right one on the cover "appeared" to be missing (#6 on the diagram). There was a hole there with no screw in it so I found one in my spare screw bin and put it in the hole and cleared the DTC. Drove it this morning and so far no CEL so fingers crossed that it was something this simple. Thanks for all the replies

Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues brother! It would be great if just a simple screw would solve the problem. After reading about this code there are a lot of things it could be..but mostly people have talked about a vent restriction. It sure also seems this is a complex test the truck runs before it throws the code.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:43 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks buddy. It's due for inspection next month if it persists I'll let my mechanic deal with it. I read some of the tests and issues and I'm hoping it was just a hiccup. The thing is, I was meeting the foreman I've been working with at a park and ride at 5 am then we continue to Maryland to the job we've been on for the last 6 weeks (almost 2 hrs down and more coming home). Maybe it's just a coincidence but my d-bag ex brother in law lives close to where my truck was parked for almost 12 hrs a day unsupervised. I hate to think like that but he dumped a bunch of water in the gas tank of my sisters Durango in the middle of last winter among a hundred other shady things he has done. I guess time will tell, the light is off as of now

Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That would suck! Hopefully it is not that!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Hopefully not but I wouldn't put it past him. I'm done working in MD, my truck isn't parked there any more so I'll see what happens. Fingers crossed

Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Water or sugar in the tank won't cause your issue. But they will cause other more serious and harmful at least to your truck and wallet issues. The issue you are having is purely evap related. Most common to either a kinked/pinched vacuum line. Or dry rotted rubber evap/ fuel line. Other things that can cause this issue are a faulty gas cap. Faulty vapor valve, or other sensors in either in the tank or fuel/evap system. Most common symptom of this fault is (if your truck has a gas cap) when you take the cap off at the gas station you'll hear a hissing sound as the pressure is released. And if it's real bad you'll feel the pressure release in the form of the vacuum trying to pull the cap back onto the filler neck. To me this is just a PITA code. More often than not it's just one of those things to cost you the owner more money and headaches in the name of being green. It's needed with having a totally vapor leak proof fuel system that vehicles have had to deal with since the late nineties.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:42 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
I know that stuff in my tank won't cause that issue I was just using the example of what he did to my sisters car. He's an engineer so he is no dummy and I trust him as far as I can throw him. Its probably coincidence but I just can't help wondering. No gas cap, no kinked lines that I see. I'll wait to see if the CEL comes back on, I'm not even driving it this week the foreman I'm working with is picking me up at the house- its on his way to the job

Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D8chumley
I know that stuff in my tank won't cause that issue I was just using the example of what he did to my sisters car. He's an engineer so he is no dummy and I trust him as far as I can throw him. Its probably coincidence but I just can't help wondering. No gas cap, no kinked lines that I see. I'll wait to see if the CEL comes back on, I'm not even driving it this week the foreman I'm working with is picking me up at the house- its on his way to the job
Hope you have it fixed.....gotta be great having a Bro Inlaw like that

Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
"Ex " brother in law

Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D8chumley
"Ex " brother in law ��
Sorry, noticed that after I made the post....no offense intended.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Lol no offense taken

Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
My 98 Expy has this issue. I tracked it down to being a faulty sensor that is in the top of the fuel tank. However it's a plastic tank and the sensor is molded into the tank. Now I can buy the sensor. But to replace it I have to break it loose from the tank. Or I can buy a new tank for it. But it's pricy and no one will say for sure if it's included in the tank or not. The recommended repair is to replace just the sensor and epoxy the new one into place. But not sure how quickly the fuel will break down the epoxy and don't want another headache. So I found if I don't tighten the cap til it clicks it won't throw the code. Also their should be a sensor in the charcoal canister that is serviceable. That too goes bad and can cause this issue. Not certain if your truck has that type of set up, but you might want to start there. Keep us updated as to what the problem end us being.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Well, its been a week plus and knock on wood the CEL hasn't come back on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a CEL tonight