Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4R100 rebuild parts list

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
4R100 rebuild parts list

Hey all. As some of you read in a previous thread my transmission went on vacation. Actually it sounds like the clutches in 1st & 2nd are burnt up. I can't afford for a shop to rebuild it ($3,800 + torque converter) so I'm rebuilding it myself. While I'm in there I want to fix whatever weak points I can. I've put together a parts list for my rebuild. Any thoughts, comments or cuss words are greatly appreciated.

-ATSG manual
-Master rebuild/overhaul kit from OPT (borge warner clutches) ORE-E4OD-RB $256
-Cryo'd intermediate shaft from John Wood $55 w/core
-Cryo'd stock input shaft from John Wood $55 w/core
-E4OD fully splined foreward drum (stock not billet)
-John Wood valve body (maybe) $245
-Tugger shift kit from Transgo
-Roadrunner tripple disc billet torque converter $435+25 shipping
-and of course a new auxilery cooler & radiator to replace the contaminated oil to water cooler

Here's a link for the master rebuild kit if anyone is interested
Oregon Performance Transmission - Rebuild Parts for 700R4 4L60E 4L80E E4OD 4R100 47RE 48RE & More Ford Lincoln E4OD 4R100 Automatic Transmission Master Rebuild Overhaul Kit E40D
And here's another link to the Roadrunner TC. Scroll to the bottom, E40d/4r100 tripple clutch. Anyone with experience on this converter please chime in good or bad.
Ford Torque Converters Phoenix by Roadrunner Converters Arizona 602-437-2301

Obviously there are many TC's on the market, the Roadrunner fits my budget and driving style which is daily driver & occasional towing 10,000 lbs or less. The Cryo'd parts and E4OD are what I have learned are a few of the weak points in the 4R100. I'm an average joe mechanic with a work history of helicopter turbine engine rebuilding and refinery maintenance, I feel I'm up to the task but a little nervous as this is my first transmission rebuild. If I missed anything please chime in.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you going to use for the specialty tools?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:08 AM
mototrig
Tuned
I'll order what specialty tools I need probably from OPT or maybe borrow from a local shop that a friend of mine works at.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
This may help.

4r100-special-tools

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM
clux
Post Fiend
If you order anything for Oregon Performance Transmission allow plenty of lead time, I've not bought anything but filters and pan gaskets from them but my experience with them is they are slow.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
mototrig
Tuned
Thanks for the video link Dan. I glanced at it just now, I'll be sure to watch it in great detail.

And thanks for the heads up on the slow shipping for OPT. I'm not set on them but so far they have the easiest web sight for me. I'm looking for a master rebuild kit with Borg Warner & Raybestos (spelling) clutches & pressure plates. I've found a few other sights with the kit I'm looking for, I'll compare prices and shipping speeds. Fortunately a have a spare hoopty to get me to work so I'm in no rush and plan to take my sweet time on this build. This gives me enough time to read through an ATSG manual several times before I start.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
mototrig
Tuned
Now about Roadrunner TC's. I spoke to a rep from RR yesterday and of course he recommended their TC's. The most I'll be towing is my friends toy hauler 10klb loaded maybe once a year to Glamis. Mostly daily driving and occasionally towing a 5klb boat or flat bed with quads, no big loads.

I've done a web search on RR TC's and the feedback so far is everyone who owns one is happy. Both gasser's & diesel's, one of which has a F250 7.3. One man raved about the customer service at RR. This man somehow crushed the TC into the trans pump destroying both. RR overnited a brand new TC for free (shipping on the buyer) and only requested the damaged TC in return. That's pretty cool. Still, I'm a bit concerned on the price at $400, supposedly they are built in house which drives down the price. They offer a 2 year warranty as well so that is a plus and worth a try. I guess I'm just thinking out loud right now so I apologize for running on. Bottom line is my budget is keeping me from buying a bigger name.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I believe another member of FTE got burned by Oregon when something in a "kit" was completely missing. If I remember his posts correctly, Oregon was of no help whatsoever.

Pop

Old 03-14-2014, 01:52 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I believe another member of FTE got burned by Oregon when something in a "kit" was completely missing. If I remember his posts correctly, Oregon was of no help whatsoever.

Pop
I know OPT has had spotty customer service.
Some people have had some real issues with Transgo as well.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Thank you for the heads up. Alright so that's 2 negative hits for OPT. That's enough for me to find another vendor. Does anyone recommend another supplier?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
P/M Roland Mueck, [mueckster].

He's gonna' be my "go-to guy" if / when my own time comes for this.

Pop

Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mototrig
Thank you for the heads up. Alright so that's 2 negative hits for OPT. That's enough for me to find another vendor. Does anyone recommend another supplier?
Have you talked to J Woods? He will sell you everything you need.

Transmission parts USA Automatic transmission parts

www.racerxusa.com

I have used both for odds and ends.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
mototrig
Tuned
I sent John Wood an email a few days ago requesting a quote for one of his tow master torque converters but have not heard back from him. I guess I'll call him. I learned a lot about the weak points in the 4R100 from a few write ups about J. Wood, he seems to know his stuff.

Thank you for the advice Pop, I'll PM your guy this evening.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The better tranny guys will respond to a phone call.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by trackspeeder
The better tranny guys will respond to a phone call.
I have responded to numerous inquiries about the 4R100 and have provided my phone number, once contact was made by PM, if further assistance was needed. I am always happy to help when I can.

Private Message response returned.

Quick Reply: 4R100 rebuild parts list