1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Road Trip Towing the RV-More Data for Ruby

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Good going Byron, feels good doesn't it? One question, did you actually change that thermostat on the side of the road? If you did, I'm impressed. Your fingers burned up, LOL? Now its time to mod, mod and mod.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
He did end up changing the t stat at a rest stop Glenn.

Glad I could help Byron. Pics look great! Have a great trip.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:16 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Awesome byron!glad that helped. Man,that truck sure looks good doing work!
Did the fuel leak get any worse? I love planes...I was working on a dr friends 28nash a while back at his hager. It was time to be done so I was going home. Well,long story short he took me flying in his ww2 era steerman biplane :-) great day for me
Aaron, that is a pretty cool story on the biplane! The fuel leak has not gotten worse yet. It doesn't even run down the back of the block. It occasionally drips, but nothing major yet. I am just waiting for it to bust loose! LOL Hopefully not on this trip and I will get to change it in the comfort and convenience of the shop back home.

Originally Posted by ReBilld
Good deal Byron! Glad Ruby is doing good for you! You guys be safe on the road
Thanks Bill! Been a great trip so far. Photos will follow this post!

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Congrats Byron, good work, good trip, good rig, good pics. Congrats. Looking at this post I want bad use my TT and my PSD.
Be safe, take care.

Hearing you about the thermostat, maybe Im going to change it too, because IIRC the last trip I did, the EOT was also high, and I live in a warmer wheater here in my country and in our beaches.

Thanks man! What did your EOTs get up to?

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Good going Byron, feels good doesn't it? One question, did you actually change that thermostat on the side of the road? If you did, I'm impressed. Your fingers burned up, LOL? Now its time to mod, mod and mod.
haha, yeah Glenn, what Todd said! I had another good climb ahead of me in 85* temps and didn't want to risk it. I figured it was an easy enough change and I just happened to keep and have it with me. It was HOT!! I have some really good mechanics gloves and I let it cool for about 30 minutes. We weren't in any hurry. And yes, it is time to mod, mod, mod! In this order.... TS Chip, E fuel, and then start saving for a transmission swap or build. BTW, what are good tranny temps with our transmissions? Mine never got above 160*, even on the big climbs. I thought it would get hotter. Hopefully that is a good thing?

Originally Posted by tshrager
He did end up changing the t stat at a rest stop Glenn.

Glad I could help Byron. Pics look great! Have a great trip.
Thanks Todd! Now for some boring pics of planes and such. Thanks again! Oh, the cupholder is getting great use holding my daughter's water cup and sunglasses!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I guess it's time for plane ****? haha....hope you guys like...more data tomorrow from the trip home. Oh, on a side note, got 160 miles on 16 gallons towing. Not too bad. I figured for 9, but got 10.

The F-4 Phantom, F-16 and the C-130 are my all time favorite planes. Didn't see F-4s. My dad flew those back in the day.

Japs! JK, but one thing they did say that I thought was cool was that we have 2 enemy planes that fly with the P-51 during the victory flight. It is to show that we have their planes (**** and Japanese) on our soil and that we fly them on our soil. Thought that was pretty cool.

Nothing like a toddler on your shoulders (ahem, Todd, get ready!!)

Yo from the Baumanns! El Centro Air Show 2014

Uh YUP!!

This plane was called the "Executive Sweet". It was WWII bomber. Not sure of the model. Thomas? You'd probably know. Thanks again for viewing the looooong post. tomorrow will be back to truck stuff!! Sorry for the rabbit trail!!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh me like very much! That plane in your last pic I'm about 95% sure is a b25. They had twin tails, I was trying to tell if it had them but it's hard to do from my phone. Looks like you got a zero and a hellcat there too. And a You got a b29 and c-47 as well. And the P-51!!!!Very very cool indeed!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Oh me like very much! That plane in your last pic I'm about 95% sure is a b25. They had twin tails, I was trying to tell if it had them but it's hard to do from my phone. Looks like you got a zero and a hellcat there too. And a You got a b29 and c-47 as well. And the P-51!!!!Very very cool indeed!
Thomas, I think your spot on. It did have twin tails and now that I think of it, I remember this plane at Miramar 2 years back and am pretty sure the placard said B25. Wish you could have seen the dogfight sim they did with the P-51 and the Jap plane. Was that the zero? I need to read up on my fighter plane stuff. They did all of the machine gun fire and then the big wall of fire with two plane passes. Its amazing to me how agile and fast the P-51 is even to this day. You wouldn't think it just looking at it, but is pretty agile.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Thomas, I think your spot on. It did have twin tails and now that I think of it, I remember this plane at Miramar 2 years back and am pretty sure the placard said B25. Wish you could have seen the dogfight sim they did with the P-51 and the Jap plane. Was that the zero? I need to read up on my fighter plane stuff. They did all of the machine gun fire and then the big wall of fire with two plane passes. Its amazing to me how agile and fast the P-51 is even to this day. You wouldn't think it just looking at it, but is pretty agile.
Those zeros are really rare. Like only a couple left in the world. When we went to the air show here they did the big bombing blast and it was epic. Glad you're having a great time!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tshrager
Those zeros are really rare. Like only a couple left in the world. When we went to the air show here they did the big bombing blast and it was epic. Glad you're having a great time!
Wow, I did not know that about the zeros. I really need to get educated again. All of my knowledge, what little there is, lies with the jets just due to my dad and his career. It's amazing how well they did on the restoration and upkeep of each of the older planes. They look brand new, and not the "patched together" brand new either. They seriously look like they just came off the factory floor. They seem to fly like it too!

We head out here this morning at some point. We aren't in any hurry. Weather is epic and the surf back home is not very good! LOL But for real, I still thought about changing my oil back to 15w-40, but I'll just wait until I get back home. This change only has about 1k miles on it. I hate to waste it. I think I have the EOTs under control with the thermostat swap, so I'll just rock it until next week.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I would have loved to see that. And that P-51 has a sound like no other. What a plane.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

If you were running the lighter weight oil, that's not good for towing. The HPOP is smashing the heck out of the oil that is already thin.

Good luck with the EOT. The mule in my signature ALWAYS had high oil temps no matter what I did except for the external oil cooler I installed. I had it up over 240° a few times and Joey said in my thread about running out of oil that the PCM will start defueling with high oil temps. I even bought a new oil cooler instead of cleaning my old one in hopes of it helping keep my oil cooler. It did a little but not much. Its funny though, the mare I don't have any problems so far with high EOT and I think you saw what I pull. Two same trucks that act different, weird!!

Those are awesome pictures Byron, I've been to a few air shows but mostly the modern stuff. Isn't it true in WWII that our fighters could turn faster but the japs could go faster? Interesting stuff.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
I'll be honest..I have always run 15w40...I worked at a ford dealer for 8years and that's what we used..I never tried anything else. My truck when my buddy owned it tried different weights.he always could tell it was either not running right or poor mileage..

Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If you were running the lighter weight oil, that's not good for towing. The HPOP is smashing the heck out of the oil that is already thin. Good luck with the EOT. The mule in my signature ALWAYS had high oil temps no matter what I did except for the external oil cooler I installed. I had it up over 240° a few times and Joey said in my thread about running out of oil that the PCM will start defueling with high oil temps. I even bought a new oil cooler instead of cleaning my old one in hopes of it helping keep my oil cooler. It did a little but not much. Its funny though, the mare I don't have any problems so far with high EOT and I think you saw what I pull. Two same trucks that act different, weird!! Those are awesome pictures Byron, I've been to a few air shows but mostly the modern stuff. Isn't it true in WWII that our fighters could turn faster but the japs could go faster? Interesting stuff.
Very good info Glenn. I have been wondering if the temps were an anomaly. I am also glad to hear you did all of that stuff and it didn't really do anything. Keeps me from buying a new cooler, blah blah blah. I was already spinning things in my head about what I was going to do, but this helps a great deal. It did help quite a bit after the thermostat change. I am also going to drop this Rotella 10w-30 tomorrow. It isn't bad oil, just not good for the 7.3 IMO. I found this out with real world usage, not just theories. You are right on the WWII planes. You could see in the fight sims how the Zero couldn't catch the Mustang, but when it was reversed, the P-51 was right on his tail in the fly-bys. Pretty cool!
Originally Posted by fordman67
I'll be honest..I have always run 15w40...I worked at a ford dealer for 8years and that's what we used..I never tried anything else. My truck when my buddy owned it tried different weights.he always could tell it was either not running right or poor mileage..
I think you are right Aaron. I also feel like I have real experience to further back it up. There are all kinds of theories out there and it isn't bad oil, just not for our trucks. It was 90* coming home today and it only got to 220*, but I still think it's too thin for heavy towing, etc... For the record, coming back: EOT 220* highest, 208* on cruising Trans 165 highest, 148 cruising MPG 9-10 Boost 15 highest 6-12 cruising (still not stoked on this) It definitely need a some more grunt and some mods I talked about before, but all in all, I accomplished the testing phase and know what I need to do! Thanks for reading!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Awesome Byron! Glad she ran good for you! Now you will have er all ready for the next time. Very cool trip. It was cool to check in on your progress.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Awesome Byron! Glad she ran good for you! Now you will have er all ready for the next time. Very cool trip. It was cool to check in on your progress.
Thanks Thomas! Was fun to keep you guys updated. I love my girls but they don't wanna hear about trucks all day! LOL my wife is an aviation nerd though. We go to 3 or 4 shows a year. She is pretty cool about that stuff.

Now to get a TS Chip and the fuel system done!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

You have one cute little girl there Byron!

Quick Reply: Road Trip Towing the RV-More Data for Ruby