1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electrical connection suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Electrical connection suggestions

Since I'm using a one piece fiberglass front end on my build, I'm looking for suggestions for quick disconnect at the front of my frame where the wires for hi/lo headlight, signal and parking lights head out to their new home. I want to be able to unplug the light harness and take the front end off easily. My particular wiring kit has four wires going to the left headlight location and four separate wires going to the right headlight location. I've done some looking for a quick disconnect that will accommodate 8 wires but so far.........nothing.

Headlight hi/lo wires-14 gauge, park, signal-16 gauge.

The last flip front end that I did was on a Henry J and I used individual connectors for each wire. Worked ok, but didn't look great and was a pain when I removed the front end.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I think that is an excellent idea, especially if you have a one-piece front end. Would this work?

Earmark, Inc. :: MARINE :: Accessories :: Connectors, Terminals & Wiring Accessories :: 8-Pin Flat Quick-Disconnect Connector Set

Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Doc
I think that is an excellent idea, especially if you have a one-piece front end. Would this work?

Earmark, Inc.*::*MARINE*::*Accessories*::*Connectors, Terminals & Wiring Accessories*::*8-Pin Flat Quick-Disconnect Connector Set
Thanks......I had looked at that but was concerned about the conductor size for the headlight portion. Maybe some of our electrical gurus can shed some light on what would be proper. I may be making more out of this than it has to be.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Drew,
I'm facing the same issue on my truck. I just pulled the front clip and cut my harness with plans of wiring in some weatherproof connectors.
I like the Packard style weatherproof connectors like whats found under the hood of GM cars. You can get the connectors kits that accommodate from 1 to 6 wires. Similar to this;
Amazon.com: Delphi Packard Weatherpack 3 Pin Terminal Kit 12 AWG: Automotive Amazon.com: Delphi Packard Weatherpack 3 Pin Terminal Kit 12 AWG: Automotive

Somewhere recently through Amazon I found a company selling kits of three connectors in either the 3 wire, 4 wire or 6 wire configurations.

My harness exits my cab near the passenger side footboard. That's where I'll put my connectors.

Bobby

Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Drew,
I'm facing the same issue on my truck. I just pulled the front clip and cut my harness with plans of wiring in some weatherproof connectors.
I like the Packard style weatherproof connectors like whats found under the hood of GM cars. You can get the connectors kits that accommodate from 1 to 6 wires. Similar to this;
Amazon.com: Delphi Packard Weatherpack 3 Pin Terminal Kit 12 AWG: Automotive

Somewhere recently through Amazon I found a company selling kits of three connectors in either the 3 wire, 4 wire or 6 wire configurations.

My harness exits my cab near the passenger side footboard. That's where I'll put my connectors.

Bobby

Bobby, that looks promising. Being weatherproof is an added plus since my connection would be right at the front of the frame. Guess I need to educate myself about how these are assembled.

Thanks, you've thrown some very helpful suggestions my way since I've been on this site. Much appreciated.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the weather proofing is a great idea, that connector is easy to build, i would recommend soldering the wires in addition to crimping them. and then get a can of liquid electrical tape and seal the area where the wires enter the back of the connector. I could point you to a bunch of techie sites that have connectors but sad to say amazon would be the easiest and its a good price.

Source: I'm a nerd

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM
delawarebill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connectors

when i built my last Tbucket i used the 4 pin trailer connectors just in case i ever needed to pull the body. i never had a problem. and they were located under the car in clear view of road problems.. dirt, water...

Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Drew,
Those Packard type weatherproof connectors do take a special crimper (its not very expensive) the terminal ends have 3 separate areas that take crimping; the first section crimps onto the bare wire, the 2nd section crimps onto the insulation, and the final section crimps onto the silicone weatherproof gasket doohickey. When the terminals are inserted into the connector they lock into place (special tools to release them from the connector...also inexpensive)

Ford (well, all manfactureres) use some form of weatherproof connectors for their EFI wiring under the hoods. I'm just he most familiar with the GM style and like them best. It seems like the GM connectors are easy to disconnect and reconnect while the Ford style seems to break the locking tabs when you disconnect them.

Bobby

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Check out marine electrical suppliers. "Doraville" on here wanted some HD weatherproof stuff and found some absolutely first-rate stuff made for marine use. As good or better than OEM car mfr. stuff, with silicone rubber seals.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Drew,
Those Packard type weatherproof connectors do take a special crimper (its not very expensive) the terminal ends have 3 separate areas that take crimping; the first section crimps onto the bare wire, the 2nd section crimps onto the insulation, and the final section crimps onto the silicone weatherproof gasket doohickey. When the terminals are inserted into the connector they lock into place (special tools to release them from the connector...also inexpensive)

Ford (well, all manfactureres) use some form of weatherproof connectors for their EFI wiring under the hoods. I'm just he most familiar with the GM style and like them best. It seems like the GM connectors are easy to disconnect and reconnect while the Ford style seems to break the locking tabs when you disconnect them.

Bobby
Bobby, do you have a link or a brand on the crimper? I seem to find nothing but the expensive ones. Don't really want to pay half what I paid for my harness just to crimp some connectors.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Check out marine electrical suppliers. "Doraville" on here wanted some HD weatherproof stuff and found some absolutely first-rate stuff made for marine use. As good or better than OEM car mfr. stuff, with silicone rubber seals.
I found a lot to look at but came up short on what I wanted. I'll continue looking at the marine products to see what else I find. I never could find Doraville's information about connectors.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
Bobby, do you have a link or a brand on the crimper? I seem to find nothing but the expensive ones. Don't really want to pay half what I paid for my harness just to crimp some connectors.
Drew,

Dang, I didn't realize they wanted so much for those crimpers.....anywhere from $80 t0 $100....sheesh.

I have a set of crimpers. I'd gladly let you borrow them if you like. I can't imaging shipping would be too horrible between NM and TN.
I wonder if one of the local parts houses has a set to borrow. Or, do you have a buddy at a GM dealership that you could borrow them from? If not, let me know, we can work out some kind of borrow thing.

Bobby

Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 AM
tomrflorida
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical disconnects

I am wiring my dash and wanted to be able to unplug it easily I bought weatherpak connectors from Sherco Auto & Marine in Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I bought 1 each 4-5-& 6 plug connectors both male & female the cost was around $2.00 each and the terminal were around $2.75 a bag of 10
Their website is
https://www.sherco-auto.com/
They are close to my house and I use them a lot got my wire looms, & steel brake lines in 25' rolls there

Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Drew,

Dang, I didn't realize they wanted so much for those crimpers.....anywhere from $80 t0 $100....sheesh.

I have a set of crimpers. I'd gladly let you borrow them if you like. I can't imaging shipping would be too horrible between NM and TN.
I wonder if one of the local parts houses has a set to borrow. Or, do you have a buddy at a GM dealership that you could borrow them from? If not, let me know, we can work out some kind of borrow thing.

Bobby
Bobby, I really appreciate the offer. If you lived a few miles up the road, I would certainly take you up. I'm going to ask around to see if one of my local hot rodding friends might have one.

I'm tempted to visit my local salvage yard and nose around under the hood of some GM vehicles to see what kind of plugs have been used.

Originally Posted by tomrflorida
I am wiring my dash and wanted to be able to unplug it easily I bought weatherpak connectors from Sherco Auto & Marine in Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I bought 1 each 4-5-& 6 plug connectors both male & female the cost was around $2.00 each and the terminal were around $2.75 a bag of 10
Their website is
https://www.sherco-auto.com/
They are close to my house and I use them a lot got my wire looms, & steel brake lines in 25' rolls there
Thanks for the link. I guess I'm going to have to investigate my local suppliers to see what might be available. I like the idea of using the plugs for some of the under dash connections.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
Bobby, I really appreciate the offer. If you lived a few miles up the road, I would certainly take you up. I'm going to ask around to see if one of my local hot rodding friends might have one.

Cool,
Let me know. If need be we can ship it back and forth. It wouldn't take much to slip it in a padded envelop.

Bobby