1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shackles vs. spring packs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:21 PM
benfishn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NTENSE
Will spring packs effect the ride or handling? Another question I've had since researching this topic is in regards to lift blocks. If the main concern is them getting spit out, why would a bolt through the center like the spring packs not work?
DO NOT use lift blocks! It is the last thing to use and probably the last thing you would use, after you wreck. That's what they did back in the day when it was all they had, and didn't know any better.
Spring packs are not all created the same. Some are built for flex (usually gives a softer ride, but has more body roll). Some are built to carry more weight(usually harder ride).

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
In order to get the full 2" did you shackle both ends of the spring? Seems to me if you lift one end of the spring 2", by the time you go halfway back, where the axle is, you'd loose half the lift.
The shackle manufactures know this and when they build and market a 2" lift shackle it is engineered to give that amount of lift, so yes the actual shackle is more than 2" longer than the stock one.

Will spring packs effect the ride or handling?
Yes, the spring pack is what determines the ride and handling, they can be made to almost any desired specs, hard of soft, stock height or taller......
Another question I've had since researching this topic is in regards to lift blocks. If the main concern is them getting spit out, why would a bolt through the center like the spring packs not work?
Maybe a little confusion here, lift blocks, like you typically see on rear suspensions are a major no-no on front suspensions, they are illegal in my home state. Mini packs (a set of leaf sections comprised of 3,4 or 5 leaves arranged in a tapered stack) do in fact get through bolted along with the factory spring pack and are acceptable by my state's inspection stations. In my opion they are the cheapest way to lift the front but they are also the least desireable method. They do nothing for additional travel or load handling. Shackles at least increase your suspension travel to the bumpstops and new packs can give both increased travel and increased load handling (or a softer ride if thats what you want).

Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM
benfishn
New User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

Maybe a little confusion here, lift blocks, like you typically see on rear suspensions are a major no-no on front suspensions, they are illegal in my home state. Mini packs (a set of leaf sections comprised of 3,4 or 5 leaves arranged in a tapered stack) do in fact get through bolted along with the factory spring pack and are acceptable by my state's inspection stations. In my opion they are the cheapest way to lift the front but they are also the least desireable method. They do nothing for additional travel or load handling. Shackles at least increase your suspension travel to the bumpstops and new packs can give both increased travel and increased load handling (or a softer ride if thats what you want).
How much axle wrap come with the mini packs? I don't have any experience with them.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 AM
NTENSE
Junior User
Okay, there is a difference between spring packs and mini spring packs. The spring packs are the leaf spring assemblies and the mini spring packs are the sections with a through bolt in them. Do the mini packs change the ride at all? As for the shackles, are they looked upon as being a safe way to lift a truck? I want clearance but I'm on a budget, I just had my trans rebuilt last week and that $2300 is sorely missed!!!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:13 AM
NTENSE
Junior User
Some other things I was thinking about, with an added spring for leveling, how much more lift can I get away with without having to add longer brake lines? Also, which method will most likely not end up having to get another alignment? And lastly, if using the shackle, will the wheel look obviously off center to the fender?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by benfishn
How much axle wrap come with the mini packs? I don't have any experience with them.
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here....... Axle wrap isn't a common problem with front suspensions except in pretty extreme situations like sled pulling and such as far as I know. I have no personal experience with mini packs either, just going on feedback from others that run them.

Okay, there is a difference between spring packs and mini spring packs. The spring packs are the leaf spring assemblies and the mini spring packs are the sections with a through bolt in them. Do the mini packs change the ride at all? No, not at all, you still have the same front spring pack providing the same spring rate and travel length. The mini packs don't change anything except the ride height. As for the shackles, are they looked upon as being a safe way to lift a truck? Yes, more so on trucks with front track bars like ours than on leaf sprung trucks without track bars where the spring assemblies (including the shackles) do all of the work to keep the axle centered under the truck. I want clearance but I'm on a budget, I just had my trans rebuilt last week and that $2300 is sorely missed!!!
My advice would be to wait until your finances improve and get upgraded spring packs that will give you the lift you want and provide whatever type of ride and handling you desire. In my opinion, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right! My second choice if working on a budget would be to get the size shackles that would give you the lift you want, this will maintain the same ride that you currently have.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Some other things I was thinking about, with an added spring for leveling, how much more lift can I get away with without having to add longer brake lines? I can't speak for your rig but I lifted my EX's front 3 7/8" and the brake lines have been fine for over 25k miles. Also, which method will most likely not end up having to get another alignment? I know a few of the guys over in the EX forum (including AlaskanEx and EXv10) have added shackles and have not had any alignment issues as a result. And lastly, if using the shackle, will the wheel look obviously off center to the fender? Not from what I've seen on several rigs pictured here on these forums that have shackles.
Check out Russ's posts (AlaskanEx), he is always posting pics of his nice EX with the 2.5" shackles on it, looks good to me.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:08 AM
NTENSE
Junior User
Thank you all for the answers to my questions. Sounds like the shackles will be my best option for the time being. I will do it "right" when finances provide the means, but until then I want to prevent further wear on my fenders and flares along with my tires.

That being said, any suggestions on what the minimum lift I might need is and how to maintain the level stance on my truck. Right now I'm bone stock in the rear and have only added one leaf to the front. I'm running 35's on 20 inch wheels. I'm thinking 2 inches will suffice going by the 1 inch wear pattern on my flares. Is there a solid rear block that will add the right lift or do I need to stack them (I'd rather not stack)? Also, if I go up 2" up front am I correct in thinking I need 2" in the rear, or is there some geometrical magic that requires more or less than what seems logical?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
benfishn
New User
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here....... Axle wrap isn't a common problem with front suspensions except in pretty extreme situations like sled pulling and such as far as I know. I have no personal experience with mini packs either, just going on feedback from others that run them.
Yes, it is not common problem because lift block are not commonly used in the front with good reason. The lift block moves the axle away from the leaf springs and creates more leverage which causes the axle to wrap and "spits" the block out when the brake or power is applied.
The mini pack lowers the axle away from the original leaf pack, almost the same way a LB does. The the mini packs can have advantages over the LB since it can be longer in length to provide more support to the main pack, it is bolted to the main pack, and most are not as tall as LBs.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
benfishn
New User
Thank you all for the answers to my questions. Sounds like the shackles will be my best option for the time being. I will do it "right" when finances provide the means, but until then I want to prevent further wear on my fenders and flares along with my tires.

That being said, any suggestions on what the minimum lift I might need is and how to maintain the level stance on my truck. Right now I'm bone stock in the rear and have only added one leaf to the front. I'm running 35's on 20 inch wheels. I'm thinking 2 inches will suffice going by the 1 inch wear pattern on my flares. Is there a solid rear block that will add the right lift or do I need to stack them (I'd rather not stack)? Also, if I go up 2" up front am I correct in thinking I need 2" in the rear, or is there some geometrical magic that requires more or less than what seems logical?
Adding a leaf spring to the rear would be the only thing I would feel safe doing. It is going to ride like a tractor.
Adding a taller single lift block make's it feel like your rear axle is bolted to swing set. You give it throttle and wait until it "swings back" before the truck goes.
Stacking blocks is asking for trouble. A new set of lift springs will seem cheap after you spit a block and cause a wreck, or best case scenario only have to replace a drive shaft, brake lines, and pay a tow bill.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 PM
benfishn
New User
My advice would be to wait until your finances improve and get upgraded spring packs that will give you the lift you want and provide whatever type of ride and handling you desire. In my opinion, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!
This is the best advice you can receive.
I have been down that "rig it till you can fix right" road. It is filled with WHY didn't I just do right the first time!!!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 AM
NTENSE
Junior User
I've decided to go with 2" lift shackles and 2" add a block, blocks. Reasoning is, with only two inches up front I don't feel like theres much difference between the mini packs and the shackles and the shackles appear to be easier and keep the stability of having the axle close to the spring. As for the blocks, I've read several articles in magazines where modest 2"-4" lifts were put on trucks and they added blocks to the existing ones. I don't abuse my truck off road and don't pull anything over 10k lbs.

Does anyone know where I can find one place to buy shackles and blocks as opposed to buying one from one and the other from some one else?

Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 AM
NTENSE
Junior User
Another question too, I believe I have a 156" wheelbase (crew cab/short bed), would I need to stack tapered blocks or straight blocks with my existing ones?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just put a Zone 2.5" leveling kit in my 2004 6.0 F-350. Couldnt be happier with it. Rides 10x better than before. I did get all new BDS shocks too. Installation was pretty stright forward but i would not recommend it unless you have air tools. other than that I would recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've decided to go with 2" lift shackles and 2" add a block, blocks. Reasoning is, with only two inches up front I don't feel like theres much difference between the mini packs and the shackles and the shackles appear to be easier and keep the stability of having the axle close to the spring. As for the blocks, I've read several articles in magazines where modest 2"-4" lifts were put on trucks and they added blocks to the existing ones. I don't abuse my truck off road and don't pull anything over 10k lbs.

Does anyone know where I can find one place to buy shackles and blocks as opposed to buying one from one and the other from some one else?
Blocks in the front? By mini-packs do you mean the little short spring pieces?

Quick Reply: shackles vs. spring packs