Sponsored by: Moser

2010 downshift problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:22 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Worththewait
I am also new to this Forum. I have a 2010 F150 with a 5.4 and the six speed trans. I always wanted to have one and saw this truck on line and it was "my truck". I bought it and love it. However, I have to admit that it does feel wierd from time to time. I have driven Fords since the early 80's beginning with a 74 Country Squire and most recently traded in a 2005 Explorer to get my F150. This truck feels like it is slipping from first to second under throttle and vibrates a little at highway speed, it also shutters when it is coming to a stop. All very unfamiliar feelings when compared to other Fords I have driven. I brought it back to the dealer once and there was a bulkhead leak and it was low on trans fluid. It is going back in on Wednesday for them to check it. I can not explain it, but it feels like the trans is an issue.

When I bought the truck it had a dead battery and had to be jumped. I did not like the way it shifted but assumed that due to the dead battery it would have to re-learn its shift points and I also assumed it would improve. I do not think any of the issues are terribly bad, but I do not drive the truck every day and when I do drive it, I drive long distances. These little issues give me a nagging feeling that the trans is going to fail when I am the furthest point from home. This is one of those cases where ingnorance would be bliss, because if you did not know anything about drivetrains, you would ignore it and just love your truck, but those of us that do know something about it fret over the little things, because they almost always lead to bigger problems.

She was built in Sept 09, and I am not sure how or what to explain to the dealer is this a shift point issue or a torque converter issue? Is this a two piece drive shaft issue or "dry splines"? Should they be looking at TSB 09-11-5 or 9-22-12 or 10-25-13 or 9-25-5? Or more importantly is this just common side effects of a complicated sealed transmission that has an old school mechanic over concerned? Any comments would be greatly appriciated.
You said you are bringing it in Wednesday? As you stated, it's hard to explain, even more so to diagnose the issue without riding/driving the truck. I know there alot of guys on here that probably have a better than average "educated guess" as to the issue but with that being said, it could be something really simple, it could be more than just the tranny...... my personal advice would get the service manager or mechanic if possible to ride with you so that you can pinpoint the exact behaviour that is causing the concern. Hopefully it's nothing complicated or a major repair, and you get the issue resolved. I would discuss everything you stated above with the dealership...... good luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Worththewait
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will definately have them ride with me, hopefully something simple. I really love this truck and I am driving it from New Jersey to North Carolina in the end of April. Would really like to have a care free, no worry ride. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Lake Guy
New User
Downshifting problem going downhill

I have a similar problem to Steve's and I have not heard him say his problem was solved. So I will state my problem and some background.
I have a 2005 F150 that I have had for about 7 years with no problems up until now. What happens is as I am coasting to a stop, usually going down an incline, I can feel something building up and then almost a forced downshift when I am rolling to a stop. It happens more often if I am going down a hill. It's like pressure builds up more the steeper the grade. It doesn't seem to happen on flat ground when coming to a stop. I came down a really steep grade and I could sense it really building up and then at the bottom of the grade when coming to a stop, it made a very loud noise while, I guess, the transmission forced itself into low gear. I was afraid to drive it after that for fear of doing serious damage. So I took it to a transmission shop and the mechanic was able to reproduce the problem but he is scratching his head. He doens't see anything wrong with it so he is going to try replacing a seal/gasket and see if there is any change. His garage has been in business since 1960 so I feel he knows his way around transmissions. If this doesn't fix it I thing the next step might be the dealership.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Worththewait
New User
Were you in Tow/Haul Mode? Mine does that going down hill if in that mode and with a full bed. It almost feels like a retarder or jake brake.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Worththewait
New User
Following up on my earlier post about the trans shuttering when coming to a stop. I took it to the dealer and they reprogramed my TCM and ECM. TSB 11-8-12 is on the work order. It worked. Feels like a new truck, launches without slipping, and no more shutter. It was covered under drive train for me but it would definately be worth spending the money on. Hope this helps someone.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Worththewait
Following up on my earlier post about the trans shuttering when coming to a stop. I took it to the dealer and they reprogramed my TCM and ECM. TSB 11-8-12 is on the work order. It worked. Feels like a new truck, launches without slipping, and no more shutter. It was covered under drive train for me but it would definately be worth spending the money on. Hope this helps someone.
Good deal, glad it worked out and wasn't too serious. Thanks for the info also, good stuff to know.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Mississippi girl
New User
I do not think I have the same problem but I need help. When slowing down from freeway to feeder truck makes a noise as if I had ran over built in noise spikes on highway to keep you from running off of road and vibrates a little. Took to dealership and after a 600.00 bill nothing has changed. Thanks for any help!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mississippi girl
I do not think I have the same problem but I need help. When slowing down from freeway to feeder truck makes a noise as if I had ran over built in noise spikes on highway to keep you from running off of road and vibrates a little. Took to dealership and after a 600.00 bill nothing has changed. Thanks for any help!
What year model truck? Does it do this for an extended period of time, or just briefly while bleeding off speed? Do you feel a noticeable vibration in the controls, or just a noise?