1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

super duty side mirror defrost

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 AM
bironacad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super duty side mirror defrost

Got the new truck on Monday and I am trying to figure it all out lol

The mirror defrost comes on with the rear window defrost, my question here is does the defrost image on the mirror light up when on?

thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The icon on the glass? If so then no unless it changed in 2011+ models the heated mirror image on the glass is just etched there. If your curious if it works just touch the glass after you turn it on for a few min, it should feel warm.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:28 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
My 11' doesn't

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Big Vic
Senior User
No...it is just etched on

Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 PM
bironacad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Big Vic
No...it is just etched on
I spoke to people at the dealership where I bought the truck and got I don't know to ya. So I looked for a dealership that had lots of Super Duties and called and they said the same as you guys, I should say the lady I spoke to said, " no it is just a symbol that says that the mirror is a heat mirror."

It would be nice if the people selling the stuff knew what they are selling, go figure.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Sales people never seem to know much lol

Old 03-13-2014, 02:09 PM
bironacad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Sales people never seem to know much lol
I was talking to the service manager and a diesel mechanic, it was a female salesperson in a rural area that had the right answer, go figure. lol

Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
My '07 heated mirrors are always on when the key is on. Glad to hear they changed that.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
My '07 heated mirrors are always on when the key is on. Glad to hear they changed that.
I Re-Wired my Heated Mirror's to work off my #4 Up-Fitter because I hated the fact that they were always on
Stupid idea Ford

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Lol usually sales where I work is always saying our products do things they just plain don't.

I'm going to run my mirror heat to a carling switch because I only use it half of the year at a time lol. Plus it stops those annoying water spots after washing it.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
SD Dually
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems like when I got my new dually I new more about it than the sales person.

I will be installing the heated mirrors on my truck soon, I'm going to run them off of a switch so that I can turn them on and off as needed.

SD Dually

Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
Just read the manual. I thought I could use a plastic scraper to make the defrost work a bit faster on some heavy ice. No aggressive scraping, just flipping the wet ice off. But when it dried, I had scratches all over both mirrors. Cost me $230 plus some twitchy dismantling to replace the two pieces of glass with new unmarked ones. Ford does say in the owners manual not to touch the glass surfaces because they are very fragile. They aren't kidding.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 AM
bironacad
Freshman User
I will tell momma
I did read the manual but the they are not kidding I just passed along lol

Thanks really

Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Yeah, for some reason American car manufacturers think they need to advertise every little feature. The heated symbol on the mirror glass (My old Explorer Limited actually had the word "Heated" etched into the glass, lol), the word "ABS" on the back of certain GM vehicles, the word "Traction Control" on the back of early Ford Windstars, "Direct Injection" on the back of the CTS, "Stow 'N Go" on the sides of Chrysler vans, on and on. Are we stupid? European cars rarely do this.

As for the heated mirrors, there are a variety of means in which they are actuated. The tradition method is to combine mirror heating with the rear defroster. On some cars, the mirrors shut off on a shorter timer than the rear window. Another method is a dedicated switch, some with a timer, some without. Early 2000's VWs had a switch you set to 'heat' but it would not turn off unless you manually did...easy to forget. Later VWs corrected this by installing a timer...if you left the switch on heat, it would heat for like 10 minutes every time you shut the car off and then turn off. The '11+ Super Duty's have either a dedicated switch (for models without the heated rear glass) or a combined rear defrost / mirror heat switch. Either way, it is on a timer and shuts off...I like this. Other cars turn the heaters on each time the car is started...it sounds like the earlier SD's were like this? My '97 Range Rover was like this...but it was on a timer and would shut off after a short period. Maybe the best setup is the one at least Mercedes uses...car starts up, computer checks outside temp, and if below 54 degrees, it operates the mirror heaters for about 10 minutes, then turns off. Benz has been using this system since the '80s...newer versions also vary the timer length by actual outside temp and vehicle speed.

Anyway, I'm very pleased Ford heats the small spotter mirrors as well as the main glass...GM doesn't.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:28 PM
bironacad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by troverman
Yeah, for some reason American car manufacturers think they need to advertise every little feature. The heated symbol on the mirror glass (My old Explorer Limited actually had the word "Heated" etched into the glass, lol), the word "ABS" on the back of certain GM vehicles, the word "Traction Control" on the back of early Ford Windstars, "Direct Injection" on the back of the CTS, "Stow 'N Go" on the sides of Chrysler vans, on and on. Are we stupid? European cars rarely do this.

As for the heated mirrors, there are a variety of means in which they are actuated. The tradition method is to combine mirror heating with the rear defroster. On some cars, the mirrors shut off on a shorter timer than the rear window. Another method is a dedicated switch, some with a timer, some without. Early 2000's VWs had a switch you set to 'heat' but it would not turn off unless you manually did...easy to forget. Later VWs corrected this by installing a timer...if you left the switch on heat, it would heat for like 10 minutes every time you shut the car off and then turn off. The '11+ Super Duty's have either a dedicated switch (for models without the heated rear glass) or a combined rear defrost / mirror heat switch. Either way, it is on a timer and shuts off...I like this. Other cars turn the heaters on each time the car is started...it sounds like the earlier SD's were like this? My '97 Range Rover was like this...but it was on a timer and would shut off after a short period. Maybe the best setup is the one at least Mercedes uses...car starts up, computer checks outside temp, and if below 54 degrees, it operates the mirror heaters for about 10 minutes, then turns off. Benz has been using this system since the '80s...newer versions also vary the timer length by actual outside temp and vehicle speed.

Anyway, I'm very pleased Ford heats the small spotter mirrors as well as the main glass...GM doesn't.
Me too lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: super duty side mirror defrost