1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tuning - tweaking "timing adder" to lower cold start smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Rich......I have plans to cross the river down by Vantage.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Rich...AE's not dropping the MAP.........
I could have worded that much better Dan, - I guess my distrust & aggravation with the newer software versions of AE is showing through ........

I was using versions 5.3 and 6.2.2 last night. Had one hooked up to the Excursion and one to the F-250. Trying to see if there was any inconsistency in the MAP sensor readings between the two versions and trying to get the MAP hz reading in the "live data " window to show a reading. But in each case the AE was showing "0" for the hz reading and the MAP sensor readings (along with Baro & EBP) were the same on each version.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Yeah...For the info gleaned with AE, one would hope that it's correct. It's akin to sliding the safety on the BUCK$ZOOKA from safe to fire.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Rich......I have plans to cross the river down by Vantage.
I-90, eh? You should PM me and we'll see where our schedules land. You'll like Vantage for the spectacular stuff out the window, but you'll hate the Vantage grade. 10 miles up a steep grade through the desert. The wind-powered generators you drive by are fascinating, though.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tugly
I-90, eh? You should PM me and we'll see where our schedules land. You'll like Vantage for the spectacular stuff out the window, but you'll hate the Vantage grade. 10 miles up a steep grade through the desert. The wind-powered generators you drive by are fascinating, though.
Been through there many times....going to be just on the west side of the Wild Horses Wind Farm....up Parke Creek. Now the drive around Moses Lake....not much for eye candy.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Now the drive around Moses Lake....not much for eye candy.
Plenty of crop name signs. The farmers put up Christmas lights in the season... but each display is miles apart. You can always count the irrigation circles, but that's like counting backwards from 100 when you're about to have oral surgery.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here is what I saw last night for MAP readings using Versions 5.3 and 6.2.2. I have 4 tunes on my TS chip in the F-250. Two of them tow tunes, one of the tow tunes drops the MAP psi.

tow tune & daily driver readings:

Tow tune that drops MAP psi:

another thing to check is sensor configuration. It probably is set up correctly, would not have changed unless you changed it previously but worth checking since your readings seem to be the same in all chip settings.

Select the MAP sensor in "Live Data Meter"
then pull the sensor window down again and select "configure active sensor"

Make sure the "scale Value" is set at 1. If it's a different variable it will affect the values shown on AE.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
So, IIRC - there are two issues:

1. the smoky eye burning exhaust at startup.
2. PCM showing a constant 5v MAP sensor reading.

I started both vehicles in the tunes with the lower MAP sensor readings. Still started up the same as I previously posted. No smoke except for the initial puff at startup.

I also started one with the MAP unplugged (have you tried this?) and the reading on AE was 14. Same startup:

So - it really seems like tuning or the PCM for the smokey startup. But it smoked prior to the new sticks & tunes?????

Then there is issue #2, why is the PCM seeing the constant 5v reading from the MAP sensor?

I'll stick a multimeter on my sensor today and see what readings I get.........

Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
deadeye01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing, due to identical symptoms. 2000 F-250, ZF6, with single shots. Starts up immediately, no matter how cold (well, at least down to about 15 below, haven't really started it colder than that in the last couple years), whether it's plugged in or not. BUT. Also smokes like a chimney anytime it starts "cold". And "cold" means up to about 65 degrees. Doesn't really run really all that rough tho. Little bit if its 15 degrees or below, but nothing bad. I've tried many of the same things described here as well. New MAP sensor being one of them. No change yet. Curious how this is going to play out.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Been through there many times....going to be just on the west side of the Wild Horses Wind Farm....up Parke Creek. Now the drive around Moses Lake....not much for eye candy.

Parke Creek, now your talking my neck of the woods.

Cleared out my inbox.

I'm at a loss when it comes to the electrical side of things...I still think that tuning is calling for too much ICP with that small a nozzle.....

Over fueling...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
I'm at a loss when it comes to the electrical side of things...I still think that tuning is calling for too much ICP with that small a nozzle.....

Over fueling...
My thoughts too....for the smoke.

Edit: some data from my smokey cold start

On a cold start for me, EOT 16F, 160/30

60 seconds into start.

PW 1.95, ICP 1300, DC 24%, MFD 13.5, EOT 19.5F, RPM 900

Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
I just took a look at an AE output that WhiteBuffalo Rich sent over (same sticks as me). We're both running about the same ICP (900's), but I'm pushing close to 20mg MFD vs. his at 15mg. Here's the kicker - his FIPW starts at 3ms, and slowly decreases to 2.1ms as EOT rises to 67 degrees. My FIPW starts out at 1.33ms, and comes down to 1ms by the time EOT is at 75 degrees.

Could the fact that I'm pushing 33% more fuel through a pulse window less than half the duration of Rich be causing the issue? And DanV is pushing his through a window that's 2/3 the duration of Rich - could the same thing be affecting him?

The one thing we can't compare is the timing of the shot, so we're not seeing all the variables at play, but maybe we're onto something here.

Dan - your ICP is much higher than what Rich and I are seeing.

Tugly Rich - would you mind throwing your cold start (I don't care if it's 50 degrees, would be relevant here) ICP, ICP DC, FIPW, MFD, EOT, RPM data out for us?

Last edited by montanasteve; 04-16-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Deadeye01, welcome to the club. Perhaps we should all get smoker's jackets.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Well, just got a response from Dave at Swamps, saying that the difference in pulse windows was "Two different ways to achieve the same thing." He sent over a new tune to try. The saga continues...

Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Steve, the high ICP is a signature of DP's tuning I believe. My data is really skewed compared to yours and Rich's with my 30% nozzle.

But this doesn't make sense to me. There must be a difference in RPM's

We're both running about the same ICP (900's), but I'm pushing close to 20mg MFD vs. his at 15mg. Here's the kicker - his FIPW starts at 3ms, and slowly decreases to 2.1ms as EOT rises to 67 degrees. My FIPW starts out at 1.33ms, and comes down to 1ms by the time EOT is at 75 degrees.
You both have the same'ish ICP, yet your PW is shorter than his and you have smoke and he doesn't? If anybody should be overfueling, it would be Rich.

For comparison. When my EOT gets to 70F I have PW 1.62, ICP 663, DC 13.28, MFD 9.88, RPM 720.

Quick Reply: Tuning - tweaking "timing adder" to lower cold start smoke?