1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tuning - tweaking "timing adder" to lower cold start smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering if the wires for the map sensor is chaffed and the PCM is defaulting all the time...

Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
I'm wondering if the wires for the map sensor is chaffed and the PCM is defaulting all the time...
I'm thinking along those lines as well.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But why would the default psi be at such a high altitude? Edit: if the MAP does affect fuel delivery then I would assume it would be running leaner with a higher altitude reading from the MAP sensor then smoking from a richer fuel air mixture.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
Same advice I gave him.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:36 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Whoa, you guys were busy without me. Today's clutch/flywheel swap ran a little longer than expected - 9 hours - so I'm heading back in tomorrow to take a closer look at the MAP wiring, do the compression test, and check injector bolt torque. Thanks for all the input/suggestions. And thanks Rich for that PDF schematic - I should just print that and frame it for shop reference. I'll let you guys know what I find tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
But why would the default psi be at such a high altitude? Edit: if the MAP does affect fuel delivery then I would assume it would be running leaner with a higher altitude reading from the MAP sensor then smoking from a richer fuel air mixture.
The PCM would estimate the MAP... but you're right about the truck running leaner. The MAP sensor isn't likely to be a cure for smoke... it is a separate issue.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by montanasteve
WhiteBuffalo Rich just got me thinking (coffee is starting to kick in) - on the new version of AE that I have, there isn't a MAP voltage PID available, only the PID where it's converted to psi. What if they scaled it incorrectly? I know older versions had fuel injector pulse width off by a factor of 10. On my AE version, it's off by a factor of 7! Maybe the MAP is just fine, but AE is showing it as being off. Something to keep in mind. I'll pull the reference voltage tomorrow, and I'll see if I can't get some voltage readings at the sensor, KOEO and at idle.
Test your voltage reading at the sensor........but if you like I can send you a copy of the CD from my older version of AE (V6.2.2). It might work with your newer OBDII connector.

That way you can rule out the MAP readings from the newer AE version being off.....

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Well, I'm nowhere near as experienced as Tugly Rich at getting to the inside of the VC's, but I made pretty good time today (for me anyways). In six hours, got everything open, pulled glow plugs, compression tested each cylinder, tested each glow plug with the battery, checked injector torque (only got 1/8 turn or so to get back to 120 in-lbs), and got everything buttoned back up.

DanV's glow plug hole adapted compression tester, complete with remote starting trigger, is a sweet setup. And what made it even better is the fact that every cylinder kicked out 340-350psi!!!! Stoked to finally have confirmation that the compression is solid.

Each glow plug tested well on the battery, though one had a bit of a banana shape to the shaft, so I dropped a new one in that cylinder. And I've already metered the entire glow plug circuit, so I can rule that out as suspect.

I know you guys are waiting for voltage readings on the MAP sensor, but I'm done for the day - had to work all night til 5am this morning. I'll get the MAP readings tomorrow and get back to you all.

Dan, your tester will be shipped back to you tomorrow, along with a box of elk meat. Thank you!!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Glad to here it Steve. At least you know you have a strong & Healthy motor.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 AM
River19
Elder User
Steve, while a tiring day, it sounds like it was worth it, good job.

Good on Dan for pulling together that setup but also for the quick lending of said setup. Elk meat.......mmmmmmm

Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Steve...glad to help. I think my issue is tuning, but I do wonder about a turbo shaft seal maybe being partly the cause. Cold lets the seal bleed a little oil, and then as the temp comes up the seal quits bleeding and then the smoke quits, or at least calms down some.......make sense?

What's your altitude? Did you apply any correction factor?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Good job on getting in there and getting it done. My first visit under the VCs took much longer than that - it was the injector swap. I didn't get fast at it until many re-dos later.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dan V
......What's your altitude? Did you apply any correction factor?
IIRC he's around 4,500 feet elevation.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
Steve...glad to help. I think my issue is tuning, but I do wonder about a turbo shaft seal maybe being partly the cause. Cold lets the seal bleed a little oil, and then as the temp comes up the seal quits bleeding and then the smoke quits, or at least calms down some.......make sense?

What's your altitude? Did you apply any correction factor?
I'm definitely sending unburnt fuel out the exhaust, so I'm leaning towards tuning. I'm in Bozeman, 4800' elevation. Atmospheric pressure here is 12.3psi.

I just took MAP voltage readings, cold engine after sitting overnight. With a reference input of 5.023V, I get a MAP Signal (middle pin) of 5.006V. AE reads that as 10.7psi.

Tugly - from your post here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-sensor-2.html, I should be seeing about 1.3V for MAP Signal. I see 5.006V, and AE interprets that as 10.7psi.

I fired up the truck - at idle, the input reference voltage rises to 5.036V, and the MAP signal goes to 5.018V.

I switched to position 00 on the Hydra, bypassing it to stock PCM tune - no change. Just to be sure, I checked it with the Hydra unplugged from the PCM, again with no change.

I swapped in a new MAP sensor, which read exactly the same in all tests.

I also checked the wires, and all look good. With the MAP unplugged, KOEO, on the harness I get 5.023V on the input reference signal terminal, and no voltage on the MAP signal terminal or reference return terminal. I jiggled the wires with no change, and the wires all look good with no signs of wear or chafing.

So, in summary, on a cold engine, with KOEO, my MAP signal is 5.006V. At idle, my MAP signal is 5.018V. These values contradict Tugly's post in the other thread, but I duplicate them with a brand new sensor?

For 2000ca250 - your PM inbox is full. My EGT's at idle sit at 280 degrees, once I've warmed up and settled in at 650RPM.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Your reference voltage should read 5V and it is. What reading are you seeing from the sensor?

Quick Reply: Tuning - tweaking "timing adder" to lower cold start smoke?