Sponsored by: Moser

I am seeing spots ( not a happy post )

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM
smblokford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am seeing spots ( not a happy post )

Hello all, my 2013 F 150 ecoboost showed spots of surface rust only 3 weeks and 1000 miles after I brought it home. The worst places are on the right side of rear bumper ( that is the pic ) also surface rust pits / spots on left side of rear bumper. a few scattered tiny rust spots on both step bars and a few minimal rust spots on front bumper AND all 4 wheels have corrosion, dullness on them ( no rust on paint, just chrome and wheels).... I took it to the dealer and they told me it is just "surface" rust and not that serious as it wipes clean again with the metal polish, which I purchased from them to use. However, should I really have to be cleaning rust off of this VERY new vehicle ? I don't think so... I am going to contact the dealer again, and FORD if necessary. I think the rear bumper must have a defective chrome finish. Yes, I do live in Wi, but have never had ANY vehicle rust this new. I had a '95 F150 that retained its perfect chrome bumper for the 12 years I owned it. and the 2012 F-150 supercab I traded in for this supercrew did not have any rust either. So I was just curious does anyone else have this rusting issue with their bumpers? Yesterday afternoon, after I washed it thoroughly, I spent close to an hour using the Motorcraft metal polish to clean it all up again. BTW, it does work well, but just didn't expect to need it at this poiint. I have 3200 miles on it since I purchased it in the end of Dec. I love driving the truck and everything else about it. I guess I can always say, rusty but trusty ??? comments welcome

Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
smblokford
Freshman User
quick note, after I looked at the pic I posted I think THIS photo is of the left side, forgot which side which photo was from, ha

Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smblokford
quick note, after I looked at the pic I posted I think THIS photo is of the left side, forgot which side which photo was from, ha
Is it just on the outside edges of the bumper, and not on the rear portions? You also said the Chrome step bars and rims had issues? Reckon it was something you drove thru? I agree it shouldn't rust this early, but seems like a "splash pattern" being on both sides of the bumper / step bars / rims. Anywhere else a problem on the truck? I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe you ran thru something a little more caustic than regular salt on the roads, I can't speak from experience on that because we never have that issue. Either way, not something you want to see, especially on a brand new vehicle.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Christin
Freshman User
worst chrome ever

So far I've had two new front bumpers and four rims replaced under warranty on my 2011 eco because the chrome is such poor quality. My three year warranty just ended on Feb. 22nd and I'm now stuck with this problem. In my eyes its absolutely unacceptable and I think a class action lawsuit is in order. After the second time I asked for painted bumpers instead but they refuse because policy states they must replace with same part. I am actually thinking about sandblasting all my chrome and applying line-x this summer

Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Christin
So far I've had two new front bumpers and four rims replaced under warranty on my 2011 eco because the chrome is such poor quality. My three year warranty just ended on Feb. 22nd and I'm now stuck with this problem. In my eyes its absolutely unacceptable and I think a class action lawsuit is in order. After the second time I asked for painted bumpers instead but they refuse because policy states they must replace with same part. I am actually thinking about sandblasting all my chrome and applying line-x this summer
Glad i have body colored bumpers now, that's ridiculous. So far I haven't had any rust or corrosion issues on mine at all.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, it should not have spots like that. Try a different dealer.

Christin, replacement parts carry warranty for two years regardless of when your bumper to bumper warranty expires.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it probably rail dust. How was the vehicle shipped, by rail or truck?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM
smblokford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BlueOval5.0
Is it probably rail dust. How was the vehicle shipped, by rail or truck?
nope, not "rail dust" dealer first tried to tell me it was likely that, but since it has been thoroughly washed dozens of times etc. plus using the chrome polish if there were any "rail dust" it would have been removed

Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM
smblokford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Christin
WOW thats awful, I knew I couldn't have the only truck with rust issues

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
smblokford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Is it just on the outside edges of the bumper, and not on the rear portions? You also said the Chrome step bars and rims had issues? Reckon it was something you drove thru? I agree it shouldn't rust this early, but seems like a "splash pattern" being on both sides of the bumper / step bars / rims. Anywhere else a problem on the truck? I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe you ran thru something a little more caustic than regular salt on the roads, I can't speak from experience on that because we never have that issue. Either way, not something you want to see, especially on a brand new vehicle.
not just outside edges, rear part of bumper has small spots too .... just chrome and wheels have issues truck body paint seems good

Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
not just outside edges, rear part of bumper has small spots too .... just chrome and wheels have issues truck body paint seems good
Hope you can figrue it out and get it resolved. Like I said, I've never seen such on a new vehicle.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello all, my 2013 F 150 ecoboost showed spots of surface rust only 3 weeks and 1000 miles after I brought it home. The worst places are on the right side of rear bumper...
Hi smblokford,

I want to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can help. For me to do so, I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Rail dust was my first guess looking at those pics as well. Might be worth taking a clay bar to the area, even to a small part of it. washing wouldn't remove it. Although I'm surprised your dealer didn't offer to do this.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM
smblokford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi smblokford,

I want to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can help. For me to do so, I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal
thanks, will be in touch just contacted my dealer today and forwarded them the photos, and they are going to get back to me soon . I am going to give them a chance to make things right and then will contact you if I can't get the results I need. Thanks again

Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
demand a new bumper and accept nothing less, else take it up the ladder with Ford. Ridiculous to be expected to put up with this on a new vehicle.

& tell your dealer what he can shine with the chrome polish. ;-)

Quick Reply: I am seeing spots ( not a happy post )