Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:56 PM
georgiaborn73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake

I've read that some people help their air intakes by:
1. removing the snorkel (seems it would deprive cold air)
2. cut the bottom of the air box out or tap holes in the btm (seems you again deprive the engine cooler air)
3. cut and make their own intakes for conical filters (unsure if they're better than just a K&N)

I'd love the give my little truck a little help. I'm unsure if adding hot air into the intake is the wisest choice. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on these and any other ideas.

I've got a 92 XLT Ranger supercab 4x2 with a 182 cui 3.0L V6.
I havent made any mods to it aside from a K&N, and regular tune ups. FYI I found out the state I live in allows "heavy vehicle" tags for 12-15 bucks more thus eliminating emissions tests in my county. The truck runs great and shocks some riceburners.
Thanks!

Old 07-02-2003, 07:15 AM
agelder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake

Originally posted by georgiaborn73
I've read that some people help their air intakes by:
1. removing the snorkel (seems it would deprive cold air)
2. cut the bottom of the air box out or tap holes in the btm (seems you again deprive the engine cooler air)
3. cut and make their own intakes for conical filters (unsure if they're better than just a K&N)

I'd love the give my little truck a little help. I'm unsure if adding hot air into the intake is the wisest choice. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on these and any other ideas.

I've got a 92 XLT Ranger supercab 4x2 with a 182 cui 3.0L V6.
I havent made any mods to it aside from a K&N, and regular tune ups. FYI I found out the state I live in allows "heavy vehicle" tags for 12-15 bucks more thus eliminating emissions tests in my county. The truck runs great and shocks some riceburners.
Thanks!
These intake performance enhancements seem to be pretty standard across the board regardless of the vehicle you have.

In terms of removing the snorkel, I assume you mean slapping a cone on the TB or MAF sensor and leaving it like that. You are correct in that more warm air isn't necessarily better than cold air. If you suck in engine bay heat, you could lose power and may increase the likelihood of pinging (since the air is nice and hot when it's compressed).

As for gutting the airbox, I haven't done it to my Aero yet (wife won't let me touch her car), although it probably has a pretty similar setup to your Ranger. Taking a look at the setup, it can be beneficial, but only if you enlarge or create openings in the parts of the box that can pull in air from outside of the engine (bottom, fenderwell side) and you may need a higher flow air filter to take advantage of it. This provides the benefits of more colder air, and keeps the engine compartment air out.

If you make your own intake for a cone, this can theoretically gain you the most HP, but the cone has to be separated/insulated from the engine bay heat. If you were to build a box that pulled air from behind the headlight or from the fenderwell, you may gain some more. We aren't talking about a huge amount of power, but every little bit helps.