Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Freshman User

ontarioford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loose steering - complete front end rebuild

2005 F350 6.0 – 212,000 km

>>

Hey Guys, I took my wife’s F350 in today. I noticed thesteering seems to be getting worse over the last few months and yesterday shetold me she felt a rubbing when she turns. The truck also has had a funny pulsewhen turning. If you sit in the driveway and move the steering left and rightan inch or so it feels like it is moving over center. Hard to describe but itkind of feels like the power steering is pulsing. Also, the steering box isleaking.

Took the truck in today and ford tells me that I need

A new steering box,

New ball joints

New pitman arm

Alignment

There were a few other items as well but I cannot remember exactly.

They tell me the bill is going to be around 3500. I am mechanical and normally do my own workbut I don’t have the tools or time for this type of job.

Does this seem reasonable? Does this amount of wear seem consistentwith the mileage or do you think they are just going to replace everything to ensurethey fix the issue?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Freshman User

Rocketgs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most of what is listed seems realistic to me for replacement timing. The price is probably realistic by dealer standards. In my area I would expect to pay a good non-dealer shop around $2500 based on work I had done just under 2 years ago.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 AM
Senior User

bodywerks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering gear and pitman arm together is max, $500. You can borrow a pitman arm puller for free from autozone. The steering box is held in by three easily accessed bolts and a couple hoses basically. It can be done by the shadetree pretty easily.
A dealer will use OEM ball joints, that's like $80 total, plus lets say another $100-120 in seals. So basically they want about $2700 in labor for ball joints and a steering box???
Yeah, ball joints are a little more involved, but still straight forward and I say they, too can be done by the shadetree. But just to give you an idea, a reputably tire/alignment shop quoted me $730 for Moog balljoints installed and alignment. I think that included seals in the hub as well.
My advice - if you don't want to do it yourself then shop around. IMO, parts and labor for a quality job like that shouldn't be more than $2,000-2300.
Or
Do the steering gear yourself, limp it to a reputable tire/alignment shop that you get a quote from, and have them do the ball joints. All in all you'd be out no more than $1300-1400.
Or, give it a go yourself for about $750 in parts and the cost of an alignment job.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Posting Guru

exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.
It surprises me that they didn't mention the sway bar end links.
I don't know if the quote is unreasonable, but it sounds a lot more than I would be willing to give. Moog ball joints and seals, moog end links, moog pitman arm, and a good ball joint press will run $700.
I couldn't pay $2500 for the labor personally.

Its better the world thinks your an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Senior User

DerbyPowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ball joints are not as hard as it sounds. You can also borrow the press kit and with an impact gun it makes popping them out pretty easy. You can do it with a wrench but it's just a little more elbow grease. To me, it sounds like a lot of coin, if I could do it myself I would.
Traded: 2006 F250 FX4 6.0L Powerstroke, (Rebuilt engine at 112,000 miles 2/2014), Banks Six Gun Tuner with PDA controller and cat back exhaust. Fisher 8.5' Extreme V snow plow. EGR delete, ARP studs, shortened pushrods, upgraded OEM oil cooler.
2007 F350 6.0L (SOLD)
1994 300zx Twin Turbo (stupid fast)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Postmaster

mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
For 3500 bucks you could buy a bunch of tools and if you are mechanically inclined its not that bad of a job. The local ford shop wanted 600 bucks to install an idler arm and pitman on my 03 F-150 4X4 ( that included the parts ) and even that bill was enough to motivate me to do it myself.
Brett, 06 F-350 Crewcab shortbed, 4" Banks turbo back exhaust with EGT probe, Edge insight CTS with EAS fuel pressure gauge, SCT tuner using canned SCT tunes, rebuilt FICM with atlas 40 from Ed at FICMrepair.com, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, blue spring upgrade, archoil AR9100, Magnefine P/S filter, Russell speed bleeders, FTE junkie
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Posting Guru

mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.
The OP is in Canada and those prices are more like what i have experienced. Ball joints, hub seals, alignment cost me $1250 several years ago. Labour rates are also much higher in Canada. Upside, great mens and women's hockey teams. GO CANADA! For what its worth, thats not a terrible price, but you could do parts of it yourself amd have them do the ball joints, to save you some labour.
27 ' Jayco Jayflight TT
(old Truck, sold at 132,000 Km, 2000 F350 S/C 5.4/4 sp Auto XLT 4.10s )
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Junior User

Carolina Rig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoefer View Post
Upside, great mens and women's hockey teams.
I've always heard that if the opportunity presents itself, a trip to the Canadian Ballet is fun and entertaining.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Senior User

Dlinzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
From Experience... the Pitman Am Puller from anywhere other than Caterpillar Dealer wont fit over the Super Duty version. I had to cut mine off with a cutoff 90 degree grinder and 3.5" wheels.

d
05 FX4 SD CC Full MBRP, Kitty Del. Wildman Tunes J-Pipe EGR Delete Sinister Coolant Filter Amsoil External Oil Filter ICON 6.5" Lift - MT's Baja ATZ P3 37's on Method 20's - MTW MadMax ELC Blue Spring Hawk Pads F/R 140K Scangauge II 373 CCV - ZooDad Warren's 175/75 Sin Y-Pipe

The difference in F150 & F-250... Bigger Boobies.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlinzy View Post
From Experience... the Pitman Am Puller from anywhere other than Caterpillar Dealer wont fit over the Super Duty version. I had to cut mine off with a cutoff 90 degree grinder and 3.5" wheels.

d
I got a puller from harbor freight, had to work to get it on but it did the job for my Excursion. I used a 4' breaker bar to get enough force and then a gentle tap with a hammer it popped off with a loud 'pow'

I would consider upgrading to a redhead steering box - IF you plan to keep it. Light years better than stock - but $$$ too.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Freshman User

ontarioford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wanted to provide an update: Since I have owned this truck I have experienced an odd pulse going around corners. It is kind of hard to explain but it felt like the wheel would not sit at top dead center and that the wheel would rock back and forth over the top while going around long bends in the road. My father said it felt like it was stuck in four wheel drive. It was unnerving when hauling my 15,000 plus pound boat and I swore this year it had gotten to the point that I did not think I would haul it at all.
Turned out to be the steering box, I guess it was bleeding back and forth causing the pulsing. They changed the box last week and the truck feels like the 911. What a difference it is amazing. I bought the truck with about 90k on it and it has been doing that since we owned it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 AM