1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my F-250, am I crazy?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
One option but it take time and the willingness to do the work.
Find one that is damaged with the options you are looking for.
Because your going to have it apart you will be able to do a good
paint job and get into the nooks and crannies.The key will be finding
what you want for a price that does not blow the budget.

Sean
I think if I were to paint it it would have to be completely stripped. I think it would get to me when you roll under the truck and it's two different colors along with the engine bay being a different color, etc. Most guys want a decent amount of money to do jambs as well, and I know without a doubt that not having the jambs match the outside would bug the **** out of me. The hard part about getting a crashed one and repainting it is trying to stay in a budget as you're no longer just doing a repaint, you're doing a full rebuild. Also, the only way to get ahold of a crash vehicle that bad would be to go to a salvage auction, of which I don't have a license.

Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
Never said it was cheap I know. I work within the industry. I have seen the super high end work and the low end garage work. One of the guys that I deal with regularly has a nice F150 that is flat black wrapped. The truck looks so tight the way he did. The next time i see him, I should try to get a picture of it.
Oh, I know it can look nice if done correctly. The problem is that most places will not wrap jambs. Most of the places I've talked to were talking 4000 to do a full wrap with jambs. At that point I'd rather just get it painted as I have a friend that would do a full repaint for that money and I know I'd be happier with paint instead of vinyl. I'm just not sure if it's worth the kind of money, especially if you're already spending 25,000+ dollars on a vehicle. I could see doing that if you got a screaming deal on something, but that 4000+ goes a long ways towards other things. Haha

Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Depending on the car trailer you buy, it could also serve double duty as an occasional scrap/utility trailer. That way you could sell your truck and get that SUV or ... keep the truck and keep modding it. ~ bugjr ~
The trailer I would get would have low sides and not be enclosed. Enclosed trailers are way more than I want to pay for something that won't get a ton of use. If I could make consistent use out of it then I'd be cool with it, but we're talking maybe once a month. Even at that point it's hard to decide if it's worth buying a trailer at all when I could probably just borrow one. I haven't actually needed a car trailer in some time. I know if I had one I could probably use it more, but at this point it would take a long time to pay for itself when renting one is fairly inexpensive these days. I'm sure in the long run it's best just to keep a truck instead of the SUV as the truck can pull more and the bed is every day useful whereas a trailer isn't. Not like I want to have to drag a trailer to work just to get scrap. lol

Old 05-24-2014, 02:42 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
So Cody what did you do ?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

Sean

Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Haha, thanks for bumping this thread Sean!

At this point I'll probably just keep it for a while. I know I don't want to go to a Chevy truck for sure due to their use of independent front suspension, crappy interior, and bodies that seem to rust out far sooner than the Ford trucks. I've considered the possible move to a Dodge truck, but again, crappy interior and body that seems to rust easily and I just can't get over their mirrors. lol At this point it'll be another Ford truck if I do replace it.

I know for sure I'll be sticking with a truck. I use the bed almost every day to throw stuff in and I'd rather have a truck than get an SUV and have to get a trailer to haul scrap and used tires. The truck is easier to put things in the bed as well and wouldn't facilitate having to get a trailer to go pick up a few sheets of plywood. For instance, I'm making a trip this weekend with a car trailer to pick up a car but I'm also going to be hauling 2 sets of tires, a set of wheels, and another pair of tires. I'll have Heather and the two kids with all our gear for Sunday and Monday as well. I would never be able to fit all that stuff in the SUV unless the seats were folded and I don't want to have to strap it to the trailer. A trailer is just another expense as well and I would only use it about once a month otherwise it would sit in the way. My friend has a car trailer I can borrow pretty much whenever I want. I would hate having to ask him if I can borrow his trailer to pick up stuff all the time that I could easily just put in the bed of the truck. It seems like either way you look at it it will be a brighter idea to just keep what I have.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
After getting some real use out of the truck this weekend it makes me want to keep it around even more. Was able to haul all 4 of us, our gear for a weekend, 2 sets of tires and wheels plus another pair of tires, car trailer with car on it (no trailer brakes either), and still be comfortable and feel like I wasn't working the truck at all. Threw on the SRL Extreme tune when unloaded and once the car was loaded used the 13K Studded Tow tune. Only time I knew the trailer was back there was when I had to brake simply because I was stopping the car and trailer with the truck and even then it wasn't an issue (I have upgraded brakes on the truck). I think at this point I just need to finish the truck up with the last few things I have in mind and get a good detail on it and I'll be happier. For the price I paid for it, how good it looks, and how well it performs I really wouldn't be much happier with another truck unless I spend a lot more money.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
It's a keeper !!

Sean

Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Yahiko
It's a keeper !!

Sean
Yea, I'm thinking I will. Yellow is a big kicker. Whatever truck I get will have to be yellow and this being an Amarillo is a huge bonus since it's special edition as well.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Snowdog60
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm thinking of selling mine too

I currently have :
2000 Ford F-250 7.3 liter Turbo Diesel.
Lariat pkg- leather seats, cruise control, power windows, locks, etc.
2nd Owner of this well maintained truck. Low miles(90K)- engine just getting 'broken in'.
Outfitted for truck camper: Tie downs & air bags ($1200+. additions), E rated Tires.
2 new batteries
Currently has canopy (A.R.E) because we sold the camper. (have tailgate too)
Just had $1300. worth of brake work done: Calipers, rotors, Front pads.
Also flushed steering fluid and bled brake lines. 3 Fuel injectors replaced too ( $1000)
lube, oil & filter changes. Courtesy inspection. Have receipts.

I no longer need this much truck because we sold the camper. I would like to get as much as possible for this desirable & somewhat rare 7.3 liter diesel. Any guidance or advice for selling?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
When did a 7.3 become rare?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
When did a 7.3 become rare?
They are rare when Ford sold 2 million of them..: didn't ya know that?

Josh

Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snowdog60
I currently have : 2000 Ford F-250 7.3 liter Turbo Diesel. Lariat pkg- leather seats, cruise control, power windows, locks, etc. 2nd Owner of this well maintained truck. Low miles(90K)- engine just getting 'broken in'. Outfitted for truck camper: Tie downs & air bags ($1200+. additions), E rated Tires. 2 new batteries Currently has canopy (A.R.E) because we sold the camper. (have tailgate too) Just had $1300. worth of brake work done: Calipers, rotors, Front pads. Also flushed steering fluid and bled brake lines. 3 Fuel injectors replaced too ( $1000) lube, oil & filter changes. Courtesy inspection. Have receipts. I no longer need this much truck because we sold the camper. I would like to get as much as possible for this desirable & somewhat rare 7.3 liter diesel. Any guidance or advice for selling?
Trucks like yours are fetching stupid money right now. There's a recent thread I will try to find where one similar to yours sold for 20% over KBB in THREE DAYS.

Contrary to what same old broken record one sentence posting naysayers claim clean low mileage 7.3's are rare and do in fact fetch a premium. The current market has me considering cashing out on this market selling my 120k mile 6speed 7.3 for a massive profit over what I paid and turning it into a v10 truck and pocketing a fistful of $100 bills on the process. All I use it for is towing my pontoon boat now so the poor fuel economy of a gasser won't be an issue sitting in the driveway. 99% of the time.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Krochus
Trucks like yours are fetching stupid money right now. There's a recent thread I will try to find where one similar to yours sold for 20% over KBB in THREE DAYS.

Contrary to what same old broken record one sentence posting naysayers claim clean low mileage 7.3's are rare and do in fact fetch a premium. The current market has me considering cashing out on this market selling my 120k mile 6speed 7.3 for a massive profit over what I paid and turning it into a v10 truck and pocketing a fistful of $100 bills on the process. All I use it for is towing my pontoon boat now so the poor fuel economy of a gasser won't be an issue sitting in the driveway. 99% of the time.
7.3 diesels aren't rare. Finding one for sale cheap is what is classified as uncommon.

Plenty are for sale and way more than plenty of them are still on the road.

At least here in Colorado the market as become more normal with 7.3 Excursions going for cheaper than a 6.0 equipped Excursion. That wasn't the case even a year ago.

Josh

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
At least here in Colorado the market as become more normal with 7.3 Excursions going for cheaper than a 6.0 equipped Excursion. That wasn't the case even a year ago. Josh
Pics or it never happened

Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Krochus
Pics or it never happened
fort collins all for sale / wanted classifieds "excursion" - craigslist

Josh

Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Actual sales or completed auctions. Asking for on Craigslist is a far far cry from SELLING FOR. You do remember the thread I linked to above where that poster sold a low mileage 7.3 truck for 20% OVER kbb in three days right? You should as you participated in it, why again was it you stopped posting? Seen any 6.0 trucks selling that fast for that much over book recently?

Nice try though. I give you props for trying instead of the usual drive by not quite a sentence retort that is some posters style here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my F-250, am I crazy?