1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Front end question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM
ericconn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end question

I replaced all my tie rods and such and thought I got everything back on properly. I just took the truck for a small drive around the block today and now my front end looks like this:

Do I just need an alignment, or do I need to replace the ball joints and such as well? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
ericconn
Senior User
Also, is this the lower ball joint that will fit this front axle, the other seems to be for lighter weight axles? Thanks. Rare Parts Ball Joint 10517: Get the best Ball Joint - Lower at Advance Auto Parts

Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
Wow that don't look good Looks like you got bad ball joints replace all 4 Camber is way off When you replaced tie rods did you measure grease fitting to grease fitting or count the turns when taking off old ones ? Jack up wheels see if you got play when grabbing wheel or stick big bar under wheel and pry tire up

Old 03-08-2014, 06:10 PM
bill06447
Senior User
That didn't happen from tie rods...what else did you change/mess with? ~Bill

Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM
ericconn
Senior User
I didn't do anything in the front end except tie rods. I towed the truck 50 miles about 8 months ago now to work on it, the truck stood fine while it was being worked on, but this ride around the block did something.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
bill06447
Senior User
Tie rods will affect the toe-the difference in distance between the front of the tires and the back. That negative camber could be from a well-worn king pin bushing or a weak/broken spring. Or something seriously bent. I don't recall any adjustments that can be made on these axles to correct that. ~Bill

Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Did you back it into its parking space? Or jack it up prior to the picture?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
ericconn
Senior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Did you back it into its parking space? Or jack it up prior to the picture?
I backed it into the driveway as you see it. I didn't jack it up or anything though

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM
ctubutis
This is called Negative Camber and all TTB-equipped trucks do this to a certain extent extent after driving in reverse.

This is just my opinion here but what's in that picture looks somewhat excessive to me.

Has this thing been lifted? Do you put plow on the front? A change in ride height causes this.

There are a few other things that could all contribute to this, too, including:

- Worn out and failing front leaf springs
- Worn-out front leaf spring bushings
- TTB axle pivot hushing
- etc.

Tie rods affect only the steering and have no effect on the suspension.

My guess is that your front end is simply worn out and in need of attention. I would take it to an alignment shop that has experience with this TTB front end in trucks and bring it to them for an inspection and possible alignment, they will align it only if the tolerances are within specifications. If they can't align it, they'll show you why and what components need attention and the inspection cost will be reasonable. There are camber bushings available for the upper ball joints that can sometimes correct this to a certain degree, an experienced TTB guy who has inspected everything is gonna be your best source of help.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
The main problem with this truck is.#1 BALL JOINTS PROBALLY SHOT #2 camber is very negative this can be corrected by putting in the right camber cams after replacing ball joints.looking about 4degrees negative you want 0 degrees camber to positive 1/8 degree positive if you get it to 0 great .then set toe at 0 to 1/32in.Yes weak springs could cause this to a certain extent but the main cause would be bad ball joints and the camber cams..

Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
ericconn
Senior User
Great, thanks. It's not only how it looks, but it wasn't driving well either. It never had a plow or anything, but it does ride higher that a lot of trucks, it just might be a stiffer suspension. I will more than likely jack up the front end and see where the play is. I bought the ball joints for both sides, they're coming in early next week, but I will more than likely have to take this to a dealership, because I'm not sure there are many TTB experts in northern Virginia, where the truck is located. Meaning I should ready my wallet. Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM
ericconn
Senior User
Spoke a little too soon. Just jacked up the right front wheel. As soon as enough weight was off for the wheel to change to a more neutral camber, it did. Once it was up high enough to try to move the wheel's camber by hand, it wouldn't really budge. Again, I only redid the tie rods and it didn't show any signs of ball joint issues until my little test drive, so it may just be in bad need of alignment, which I will gladly pay for over doing the entire front end myself. Thanks again for any help, I will update when I get a diagnosis from the alignment shop.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM
ctubutis
Good luck and let us know! I need the same thing.....

Old 03-11-2014, 04:35 AM
bill06447
Senior User
Anyone can point me to a basic tutorial on replacing lower ball joints on a TTB suspension? ~Bill

Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
ericconn
Senior User
Originally Posted by bill06447
Anyone can point me to a basic tutorial on replacing lower ball joints on a TTB suspension? ~Bill
I found a pretty extensive one last night, it's on my home computer. I will post later tonight or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Front end question