Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Diesel Tank Cleaning What To Use.

Today I was out and about and got my hands on an aluminum diesel fuel
tank. Not too bad but it does need to have the inside cleaned.
I can post the dimensions later. I did peek in it and it does have
baffles and what looks like dirt along with some diesel.

What would be the best thing to use to get all the crap cleaned out?

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 AM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
Take it to a radiator shop and have it hot tanked.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Josh your up later or is it early?
The tank is from a Mac or a Kenworth. So it's BIG but not so big that it won't fit
side to side in the bed. The thing is can I ever afford to fill it. I think it about 150 Gal.
So lets say I do fill it at $3.809 X 150 = $571.35 Holy Sheep dip!
AND 150 X 7.15 Lb = 1072.5 Lb for a full tank. That will drop the MPGs a bit.
So just a guess at lets say 19 MPGs empty. I see about 21.5 unloaded so
150 +38 X 19 = 3572 mile range.

Do you know if there is a rule/law on how much extra fuel you can carry?

Sean
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Senior User

diggintrenches is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Josh your up later or is it early?
The tank is from a Mac or a Kenworth. So it's BIG but not so big that it won't fit
side to side in the bed. The thing is can I ever afford to fill it. I think it about 150 Gal.
So lets say I do fill it at $3.809 X 150 = $571.35 Holy Sheep dip!
AND 150 X 7.15 Lb = 1072.5 Lb for a full tank. That will drop the MPGs a bit.
So just a guess at lets say 19 MPGs empty. I see about 21.5 unloaded so
150 +38 X 19 = 3572 mile range.

Do you know if there is a rule/law on how much extra fuel you can carry?

Sean
you can legally carry that amount. Some over the road trucks will have two 150 gallon tanks. You don't need a tanker or hazmat endorsement for that amount of fuel. I "think" that you are good for up to 500 gallons before needing a hazmat, and up to 999 gallons of fluid before needing a tanker endorsement. This all pertains to having a CDL, but I would assume that all cases are subject to the same laws. you certainly would fall well below the minimum guidelines for commercial carriers. However, when you have a visible bulk tank in the back of your private truck, you are subject to get pulled at random by a Motor Carrier Safety Patrol officer(D.O.T State Trooper) to get the fuel in your on board tank inspected for Off Road Diesel.

Because my man card had a spot that said "Diesel truck"........

Scott
Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
Depends on GVW of the truck, over 10k and under 10k.

The rule of thumb is no more than 150 gallons of total fuel of all tanks.

Hence why you see so many new transfer tanks for 109 gallons, just in case.

And no way would one get 19mpg with 1100 pounds in the bed. My 2005 weighed 9900+ pounds and on a good day get 17.

Josh
Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Junior User

mattdoc88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggintrenches View Post
However, when you have a visible bulk tank in the back of your private truck, you are subject to get pulled at random by a Motor Carrier Safety Patrol officer(D.O.T State Trooper) to get the fuel in your on board tank inspected for Off Road Diesel.
Just fabricate a box-like cover for it with some unpainted sheetmetal that will rust and look like crap! People will think you're just on the way to the scrap yard.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt390 View Post

Hence why you see so many new transfer tanks for 109 gallons, just in case.

And no way would one get 19mpg with 1100 pounds in the bed. My 2005 weighed 9900+ pounds and on a good day get 17.

Josh
Yep, The 19 was just a stab at a number. Still even 17 MPG. Also that
MPG would go up as the tank empties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdoc88 View Post
Just fabricate a box-like cover for it with some unpainted sheetmetal that will rust and look like crap! People will think you're just on the way to the scrap yard.
That is a good idea. Or even a wood box that makes it look like a crate your
taking home.

Thanks for all the good ideas,

Sean
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Senior User

Crete is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggintrenches View Post
you can legally carry that amount. Some over the road trucks will have two 150 gallon tanks. You don't need a tanker or hazmat endorsement for that amount of fuel. I "think" that you are good for up to 500 gallons before needing a hazmat, and up to 999 gallons of fluid before needing a tanker endorsement. This all pertains to having a CDL, but I would assume that all cases are subject to the same laws. you certainly would fall well below the minimum guidelines for commercial carriers. However, when you have a visible bulk tank in the back of your private truck, you are subject to get pulled at random by a Motor Carrier Safety Patrol officer(D.O.T State Trooper) to get the fuel in your on board tank inspected for Off Road Diesel.
You are dangerous.

Hazmat endorsement (and then CDL) is needed if your slip tank is over 119 gallons for diesel fuel.

The truck's tanks don't play into that.

If you need a hazmat you need a tankers endorsement and a CDL.

You need a CDL before you can need a tanker endorsement otherwise.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Senior User

Crete is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt390 View Post
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Ummmm. No it isn't.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Senior User

diggintrenches is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete View Post
You are dangerous.

Hazmat endorsement (and then CDL) is needed if your slip tank is over 119 gallons for diesel fuel.

The truck's tanks don't play into that.

If you need a hazmat you need a tankers endorsement and a CDL.

You need a CDL before you can need a tanker endorsement otherwise.
Dangerous?! probably not. If you read closely, I used the word "think" which means that it is subject to further input and research. I have had my Class A CDL since 1990, however....I have stayed away from tanker and hazmat endorsements for personal reasons and have not brought myself up to date on the laws of hazmat and/or tanker. I do know that when I first got my CDL, I was allowed to drive a water tanker that carried less than 1000g legally without a tanker endorsement.

However, thanks for clearing that up.

Because my man card had a spot that said "Diesel truck"........

Scott
Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM

joshjones.thewelder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete View Post
No it doesn't.

Ummmm. No it isn't.
GVW of the vehicle most certainly applies to extra fuel tanks:

(4) Exception. The following previously exempted vehicles are not required to carry the certification and marking specified in paragraphs (f)(1) through (3) of this section:

(i) Ford vehicles with GVWR over 10,000 pounds identified as follows: The vehicle identification numbers (VINs) contain A, K, L, M, N, W, or X in the fourth position.

(ii) GM G-Vans (Chevrolet Express and GMC Savanna) and full-sized C/K trucks (Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) with GVWR over 10,000 pounds identified as follows: The VINs contain either a “J” or a “K” in the fourth position. In addition, the seventh position of the VINs on the G-Van will contain a “1.”

Fuel Tank Regulations - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 AM
Senior User

AlaskanF350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AlaskanF350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
what about inbed tank to self-haul heating oil?

DMV (Alaska) told me can use up to a 200 gallon tank, as long it wasn't plumbed into the vehicles fuel system, without a CDL or plaque'ding

Chris
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Post Fiend

Well my intended use was to SoCal and back along with the trip
to the big meet this spring. So I have to see about the rules on
the way there and back. I would not have it linked to the truck
system. I would use a pump and a nozzle to move it.

Sean
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Senior User

AlaskanF350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AlaskanF350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just had DOT site up and F350's are exempt from placarding and driver certification.. for "inbed external fuel tank"

thought I was smart and re-open this thread--

now can't find the address for the DOT

I never claimed to be literate >>>

Chris
Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 AM
Senior User

I believe that is what Bullitt was telling us..

Chris
Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 AM