Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could build any engine for your truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
A mild 466. Ported and polished heads with larger valves, mild cam, all forged internals and a MAF swap. Then to top it off a built E4OD behind it.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
A mild 466. Ported and polished heads with larger valves, mild cam, all forged internals and a MAF swap. Then to top it off a built E4OD behind it.
I have also looked at that path but I worry that I'll only get 5-6 mpg and that won't be fun on a 35 mile drive to the lake.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Crazed over at FSB put a mild 466 in a Bronco and averages between 10-12 mpg. I am doing that with a stock 351 so a mild 466 sounds great to me...

Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarryd
Hearing that its a slug makes a vote against. I'm trying to get this thing moving.
Keep in mind, mine is NA, the IP + injectors just turned 298k miles old today, and it's never been timed. It's due for some parts, but I'm a cheapskate and right now, it's running good so why mess with a good thing? These IP's are normally dead long before 150k but mine is still going, I don't want to break the spell.

The IDI's are (almost) never fast, but they will always get you there. I don't think even the 300-6 can touch a decently maintained IDI in reliability.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:08 AM
boonslick
Elder User
Easy Choice.

Top of the morning dedicated Forum Brothers and Sisters.

For my engine I would use the McLaren P1's 3.8L, 727-HP, 720-lb-ft twin turbocharged V8 hybrid 903 hp, 900 lb-ft net system output; RWD, seven-speed dual-clutch sequential manual trans.

I would mate it to a Aluminum Ford 2015 changing the suspension to a F1 type double-wishbone F/R with an abundant amount of carbon fibre.

You said money was no object.

Boon

Postscript: Supercars is a longtime passion of mine.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be the realist here, and I mean no offense.

From reading different threads about what you want to do with your truck, it's pretty apparent that the truck you have is not the truck you want and/or need. Trying to make it into that can get spendy in a hurry, and also frustrating if things aren't happening fast enough.

My suggestion would be to sell or trade your current truck for something that fits your needs/wants better, and is easier to modify into what you want.

An F350 IDI seems like a good platform to start with. Solid axles, heavier duty frame and suspension for 35s, decent fuel economy, and easily modified to make acceptable power.

Of course, a Powerstroke OBS would be ideal, but purchase price becomes a factor. At least in my neck of the woods. Rotted out poorly maintained Powerstrokes seem to have asking prices upwards of $7k, because OMGDIESEL.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
You're actually right on all that, my ideal truck is an obs with a 7.3 powerstroke. It basically has all the things I want, it's just not economical to buy one right now.

I like turning wrenches though. My truck currently does everything I "need" it to do. I just like projects. I think a gasser engine swap wouldn't be a big deal and I can do a build over a few months and swap it in over a long weekend.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like turning wrenches though. My truck currently does everything I "need" it to do. I just like projects. I think a gasser engine swap wouldn't be a big deal and I can do a build over a few months and swap it in over a long weekend.
I hear ya man. Mine does everything I need it to do also, but I keep coming up with ideas... lol.

In that case, with fuel economy and performance in mind with a gas engine, I'd go with a basic 351 build. Since it'll be done over time, skip the GT40 head route and go for something aftermarket that'll perform better. Decent cam, MAF swap, ZF trans, and I think you'll have a fun truck. If your plan is still to run 35s, I'd go with a solid axle front swap, 6" lift, and 4.56 gears. Simple and reliable setup.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
I hear ya man. Mine does everything I need it to do also, but I keep coming up with ideas... lol.

In that case, with fuel economy and performance in mind with a gas engine, I'd go with a basic 351 build. Since it'll be done over time, skip the GT40 head route and go for something aftermarket that'll perform better. Decent cam, MAF swap, ZF trans, and I think you'll have a fun truck. If your plan is still to run 35s, I'd go with a solid axle front swap, 6" lift, and 4.56 gears. Simple and reliable setup.
That's actually exactly what I had in mind. If I go d60 instead of 44 though, I'll run a 37" tire.

That sounds like a good base, I only get about 13-14 mpg as it is so a small block would probably do better unless I boost it.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
That 466 sounds nice too. I was thinking if I went bbf I'd go to 514 cubes. I think in the end I'll be happy with either and I just need to go with whichever one I can get the best deal on at the time.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 AM
One Sock
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How hard is that swap into a half ton? If I were to actually go diesel, how hard is that swap to do compared to a gasser?
Putting a diesel in a half ton might not be such a good idea. The frame won't stand up to the torque very well. At least that's what I've heard.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powerstroker100
If I had endless funds and time, it would be either a 6bt 12v or a common rail cummins with a nv4500 or maybe nv5600 behind it

why? just like the engines and know how to wrench on them
^^^What he said^^^

Old 03-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais

Of course, a Powerstroke OBS would be ideal, but purchase price becomes a factor. At least in my neck of the woods. Rotted out poorly maintained Powerstrokes seem to have asking prices upwards of $7k, because OMGDIESEL.
There is a '97 F250 HD Power Stroke sitting at the Ford dealership in town here. Its an XL, bare bones, Ok shape but nothing spectacular. They want $13,000. Didn't even bother to ask how many miles were on it

I picked up my Fully loaded 97 F250 HD 460 XLT Lariat in better shape for $5500... The extra cost of the Diesel just ain't worth it to me. I'm happy with my 460. She doesn't get great mileage, but diesel is 15-20 cents a liter more here, and I don't have the added maintenance costs.

That being said, if anything happens to the engine in my truck, another 460 will be going in, no question about it. Has all the power I need and then some, and is one of the most reliable engines produced IMHO.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
W16. I mean why not?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Island'r
There is a '97 F250 HD Power Stroke sitting at the Ford dealership in town here. Its an XL, bare bones, Ok shape but nothing spectacular. They want $13,000. Didn't even bother to ask how many miles were on it

I picked up my Fully loaded 97 F250 HD 460 XLT Lariat in better shape for $5500... The extra cost of the Diesel just ain't worth it to me. I'm happy with my 460. She doesn't get great mileage, but diesel is 15-20 cents a liter more here, and I don't have the added maintenance costs.

That being said, if anything happens to the engine in my truck, another 460 will be going in, no question about it. Has all the power I need and then some, and is one of the most reliable engines produced IMHO.
Exactly, around here private party they'll want 9 to 12K for F2/350 with power stroke in it. Minimum of 250k and all rotted to the gills nothing left but the motor, well what is left of it too. Ask a sky high premium just because it has a diesel under the hood for a truck wouldn't be worth 100 bucks if had a gas engine under the hood.

Diesel here averages .80 cents to as much a buck a gallon more than gasoline.

Not enough difference 460 / PS to offset the added expense for the truck itself buying in or the fuel it'd require that point forward.

Quick Reply: If you could build any engine for your truck