1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chrystler orders destruction on some Vipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Chrystler orders destruction on some Vipers

To be destroyed! Can I have an engine and trans for my truck first? Yahoo!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah that's ridiculous!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts
I saw that earlier today. Some people are just simply too ignorant or business oriented to realize how stupid they are. Apparently Chrysler fits that description. There's no way in hell I'd destroy that car.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Well , there you go ! Government intervention ? Fiat bought them out after the gubberment bailed them out .......

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What a waste. At least they could save the suspension parts, engine, trans, wheels, seats, electrical, etc. etc. They are probably fun to drive and I would love to have one of them but the insurance and the gas might be more than I want to pay...

Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
BTW, Fiat/Chrysler paid the government back all of it. And way before GM did. And a lot of Americans kept their jobs because of it.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by topmoo
BTW, Fiat/Chrysler paid the government back all of it. And way before GM did. And a lot of Americans kept their jobs because of it.
That may be so , but , have you ever owned/worked on a Fiat ? I have worked on a few . FIAT = Fix It Again Tony .... I hope they do not Kill Dodge . Deimler almost did .....

Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF? I fail to see how Chrysler would be liable for any damages for accidents, when they are in their various schools' custody. You'd think the thief would bear any liability for damages if they are stolen.

If they don't want them to "Get Out Into The Public", then they should at LEAST bring them in and put them in a museum. (Preferably one with no sink holes lurking under the showroom floor.) I'm sure the Smithsonian would take a few of them.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I remember seeing that alot of these donation cars dont have vin numbers either. Still though, the parts and complete cars are worth a lot.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I work at a Jeep/Eagle Dealership in '82-84, when they first came out. A group of us got to go to the GM Improvement Grounds and drive it around the test grounds. That was a lot of fun. Most of them didn't have vins. I missed out on a chance to go to Qualcomm Stadium about 5 years ago to test drive the Porsche Boxter, BMW Z4, and Audi TT. A buddy had a blast driving them...

Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 PM
miko6810
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by topmoo
Not sure where you got that idea....

" Though not expensive by GM standards, the $12.5 billion Chrysler bailout will cost American taxpayers $1.3 billion.

And for what? Yes, they kept a U.S. company in business. But now it's an Italian company. This prompted John Berlau, a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute and a former IBD staffer, to ask wryly:

"Wasn't the bailout supposed to be about saving the American auto industry?"

Berlau points out that instead of Fiat saving Chrysler, Chrysler, with help from taxpayers, is bailing out Fiat.

"Much of Chrysler's profits from its overhauled line are going to prop up Fiat's failing, money-losing Italian business, rather than to expanding production and jobs in the U.S.,"

Read More At Investor's Business Daily:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/010214-684920-fiat-finalizes-chrysler-acquisition-taxpayers-lose.htm#ixzz2vEzK9hoE
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
I went to the Ford proving grounds many years ago. Asked what they did with the vehicles when they were done with the. They told me they had an area in the proving ground where they were taken and run over by a bull dozed then buried. They could not sell the cars or any of their parts.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JWC 3
That may be so , but , have you ever owned/worked on a Fiat ? I have worked on a few . FIAT = Fix It Again Tony .... I hope they do not Kill Dodge . Deimler almost did .....
They say FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily too. Doesn't mean much any more, and Fiat isn't planning on getting rid of Dodge because of the trucks. Daimler did almost destroy Chrysler completely - I never did figure out why they even wanted it in the first place.
I am just glad that the big three are still around even if some (GM) have tons of Chinese parts in them now...

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Yep, the destruction of pre-production prototypes, test mules, show cars, etc., has long been the norm. No surprise here, either, if they are donated cars with no vin.

And while it may be difficult to prove Chrysler Group was at any kind of fault in the event one of the educational cars were involved in an accident, they would spend millions defending themselves if it were to happen. Lawyers always go for the deep pockets, and who would have deeper ones; some broke college kid on a joy ride, or a major automaker who's name is on title, so to speak.

The part I disagree with is that they are obsolete and have no educational value. Even vehicles as old as our trucks have educational value. Students need to know a lot more about repairing all kinds of vehicles, and not just plugging in a connector and waiting for the computer to spit out the problem. Not one of these kids could rebuild a carburetor, let alone spell the word.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Well Daimler ripped the good bits out of Chrysler , injected a lot of crap ...left the rest to rot .I was putting tranny's in chrysler's with only 40K at least twice a week years ago , so they did not have much to work with .I am just afraid Fiat will finish them off . GM ... that is another issue !

Quick Reply: Chrystler orders destruction on some Vipers