Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Posting Guru

hivoltj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Project Bronco '95 XLT 5.8/E4OD

So I've been trolling craigslist lately for a project to fix and flip. I remember seeing this bronco a few months back, but I believe he was asking something along the lines of $2,500 or some other asinine price for it. Started emailing him Friday night, and texted him Sunday to go look at it.

Ad Text :

Quote:
$2000 or OBO. Black Ford Bronco exterior and interior in decent condition. Has had three owners, me being the third. Was given the proper love and care that any college student can give. The two rear tires are from this August they are snow/street tires (have the receipt and service record from Costco). Brand new oil filter and fuel filter. After market stereo deck, but stock speakers in relative good condition. Power windows and power locking system. Have the clicker for the automatic doors, just haven't programmed it. Heater and A/C recently done along with the fine tuning of the engine. Only problem is the front right damage to the vehicle, right headlights are broken, passenger door won't open and hood has slight damaged along with a cracked windshield. Don't have the time to fix it myself, a great fixer upper or can be used for parts. Photos coming soon.

Here are the pics he sent me :

I was interested, but made sure to pointedly ask him if he was pretty flexible on the price, and he admitted he was.

Looked it over and made a mental note of all the damaged pieces. He didn't know much about cars and was pretty floored when I told him what I estimated a body shop would charge to fix it. It's been sitting since November so it was dead. After our -22* day last week I'm fairly certain the battery is junk. It did fire right up with the jumper cables and sounds good and healthy, no smoke etc.
'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Posting Guru

214,000 miles. Trans supposedly rebuilt about 13K ago(E4OD).

I don't think I'll end up flipping it, too much of a soft spot for these, LOL.

I plan to make it a backup vehicle/snow beater/ dog hauler.

The paint is pretty decent but there are scratches in it, almost looks like it was keyed at some point. I plan to fix the dings and paint the whole thing satin black so it matches. Ding guard moldings will be going in the trash.

I'm going to my shop tonight with the snow blower to clear the god damned snow drifts out and get some better pics, may pull the fender off if I get time.

I did measure the front frame horns and such, everything seems fine.

List so far is :

Battery
Hood
PS Fender & inner fender
Core Support
Header panel
PS Door
Front valance
front bumper
PS Headlight bezel

I'll get all new lights for the front through work cheap

I plan to assess any additional damage and check out the mechanicals better before ordering any parts. If it goes south I'll just part it out.

I'll be working outside unless I decide to bring it to the house, shop is full!
'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Posting Guru

I did not make it to the shop by sundown. I spent an hour or so clearing snow so I didnt have much chance to mess with it. The battery voltage was 3.6 and it sounded like a cinder block when I set it on the ground. Yep, frozen. Pretty clean under the hood really. Sounds like a buddy may have a hood and a door for me although the are blue, lol.

Was surprised to see it's speed density and not MAF but I suppose only Cali emissions 5.8s were MAF in '95

Click the image to open in full size.

'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru

Finally got over there before sundown.

'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Posting Guru

This truck has an abs module under the washer tank and behind the core support on the driver's side, just thought it was weird as none of my other trucks did.

With the bumper and valance off I got a better look at the core support. The tweaked top corner sprung back into square after i took the fender off, so maybe if I get this bottom corner straightened out I won't have to swap it.

Top fender bracket needs pushed back in...

I 'll have to straighten the bumper brackets out. No hidden damage, looking like it was a good buy!

Done for now. I'll be back Saturday hopefully with a hood and door.

'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Posting Guru

After a slight delay, Project Bruised Turd is back underway. It's been too cold and snowy to work on it in the shop driveway anymore, so I had it hauled on a rollback from the shop to my house. There was an "oh ****" moment when he winched it up on to the flatbed and it gushed antifreeze from the bottom of the engine, turned out to be the freeze plug behind the Dr. side motor mount had disintegrated.

Now I'm working in my small 2-car garage, so there is not much room for the pics, but my little heater gets it warm enough to work in coveralls. I was able to make some good progress this weekend.

Passenger door on and adjusted, garage is pretty poorly lit also

Hood on and roughly adjusted

Old core support out

I was able to cheat and leave the driver's fender alone, as well has the rad and condenser, just hung them from the hood with bungees and rope.

My fender bracket straightener 5000. Still had to give it another little pull after this pic

You can see the new core support in the bottom corner

Passenger fender hung, but not final adjusted yet.

Hoping to get the rest of the front end hung tonight.
'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Elder User

Bubba Jones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking good! I assume you didn't do all that today despite the posts are dated from today!

Anyways I'm excited to see how it turns out. I've never taken off the hood or fenders. How hard is that to do and adjust? I don't know what's involved with adjusting the panels and it sounds partially intimidating. I've taken off my driver's side door before to do some wiring for my windows and such, and that wasn't too hard, but I didn't have to do any adjusting. I know when I eventually get a diesel to swap under my hood, I'll have to take all of that off.

'96 Bronco XL | 302 | AFR 165 heads | M5OD | Saginaw PS | Bassani Headers and Y-pipe | Hooker Aerochamber muffler | Flex-a-lite 295 fan | MSD Cap/Rotor/Wires | 4" Rancho lift | 33" BFG All Terrains | 3G 130 alt
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Posting Guru

I copy/pasted from my thread elsewhere. Got really close last night, all that's left is to hang the bumper, finish up the inner fender, battery bracket and adjust the headlights.

I was missing the two u-nuts for the top of the headlight door, as well as the rubbers for the bottom of the grille and two headlight clips. Found the headlight clips at Autozone, but trying to track down the rest of it now.

The hood is probably the easiest. If you are just pulling and putting it back on, trace around the hinges with a sharpie and that will get you close. You can wipe it back off with alcohol later.

I plan to plasti-dip the whole thing when it's done, from a paint sprayer, not a rattle can. My wife will use it for daily duty until she is wanting to get something else, then it will be all mine to build a Lightning Bronco out of...
'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 AM
Elder User

Oh okay that makes more sense. What's going to be involved in a lightning Bronco specifically? I don't know the specs of the lighting F-150s, but I assume they had a 5.8 with a better cam and heads. Were they supercharged?

I just upgraded my heads from the E7TEs to AFR 165s and love it, but I only have a 302. I would love to supercharge mine, however I want to save my money for a better project. I think the next thing I'm going to do is drop a 7.3 in there. I'll just need to find a donor 96+ F-250 or F-350. Something that will make an easier front axle swap would be nicer though. I think the D-50 would be a more "bolt in" replacement. I don't think I can fabricate something to drop in a d-60 in the front. I suppose I'll learn more about that when I get to that point though.

I can't wait to see pictures of your bronco done though! Its good to see a bronco saved and put back on the road!

'96 Bronco XL | 302 | AFR 165 heads | M5OD | Saginaw PS | Bassani Headers and Y-pipe | Hooker Aerochamber muffler | Flex-a-lite 295 fan | MSD Cap/Rotor/Wires | 4" Rancho lift | 33" BFG All Terrains | 3G 130 alt
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 AM
I am the NRA and I vote

gatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud of
If you are gonna go to the trouble to change front ends a dana 50 doesnt have much more to offer that a dana 44. Might as well go all out and do the 60. Just my 2 cents worth.
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 358, Edelbrock performer 400 and Holley 600 carb, Erson cam. Ugly, but DAMN FORD TOUGH Speak softly and carry a large caliber. Bring them home NOW! Get out and vote or kwitchyerbitchin.
Allen
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Elder User

Yeah that's what I thought would be better too initially. However, from what I read recently, it seems like a D-50 will be less work to swap than a D-60. If I go D-60, I'll have to get new radius arms and do a lot of work or weld some contraption to get leaf springs to fit on the frame.

From what I understood, if I go D-50, I'll be able to keep my radius arms (from the lift I have) and will just need new coils (for the lift and to handle the weight of the 7.3).

I may be completely off though. I would want to be able to keep the components of the lift I have now if possible, but maybe I don't really understand everything involved.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
I am the NRA and I vote

gatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud of
As far as I know no ford truck came with a dana 50 w/ coil springs so you gonna have to do some modification whichever route you go. And a 50 isnt that much stronger than a 44.
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 358, Edelbrock performer 400 and Holley 600 carb, Erson cam. Ugly, but DAMN FORD TOUGH Speak softly and carry a large caliber. Bring them home NOW! Get out and vote or kwitchyerbitchin.
Allen
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones View Post
Oh okay that makes more sense. What's going to be involved in a lightning Bronco specifically? I don't know the specs of the lighting F-150s, but I assume they had a 5.8 with a better cam and heads. Were they supercharged?

I just upgraded my heads from the E7TEs to AFR 165s and love it, but I only have a 302. I would love to supercharge mine, however I want to save my money for a better project. I think the next thing I'm going to do is drop a 7.3 in there. I'll just need to find a donor 96+ F-250 or F-350. Something that will make an easier front axle swap would be nicer though. I think the D-50 would be a more "bolt in" replacement. I don't think I can fabricate something to drop in a d-60 in the front. I suppose I'll learn more about that when I get to that point though.

I can't wait to see pictures of your bronco done though! Its good to see a bronco saved and put back on the road!

Like I said, it'll be a driver for a few years as-is.

Lightning go time will be - 2WD conversion, lowering, a slick black paint job, some custom interior stuffs, restoration, built motor with aluminum heads and some '03-'04 Lightning wheels.

Gen 1 Lightnings had a different flat tappet cam, GT-40 Heads, GT-40 Tubular intake (mustang style) factory shorty headers, factory dual exhaust, lowered suspension with traction bars and a whole lotta other stuff

Here's my '94 Lightning I sold about 2 years ago :

---------- Post added 07-30-2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Posting Guru

Crashed parts are all replaced on the Bronco. One of the freeze plugs had popped out while it was sitting and I suspect the kid had too weak of an antifreeze mix in there that froze and caused it. Of course it was the one behind the motor mount also.

Got that repair all finished up and started filling it up with antifreeze, only for it to start peeing on me out of the water pump weep hole

Time for a water pump!

Broke one stud on the driver's side, one on the passenger side wanted to break but I was able to coax it out after a few hours with some CRC Freeze-off, a MAPP gas torch and some WD-40. Luckily the snapped stud had loosened up some after soaking for a few days, it turned out with some vice grips easily. Had to beat the hell out of the water pump to get it off though, it was rusted to that stud. Got a stud kit from Dorman to replace the 1 stud, the other two were wrong. I wasn't real keen on re-using the other stud that was froze in there and I was able to get it out. Well my fears were well realized when I was torquing down the bolts and that one snapped off!

So, it's done other than that! Need to get the stub out, hopefully I can drill and ez-out it without pulling the pump off and wrecking the new gaskets. Then I need to find a 4"+ long 5/16" bolt or use a piece of all-thread I suppose.

What's with all the studs anyway? The only one that gets used is the dowel for the PS/AC bracket

I heard a rattle in the water pump when I pulled it off, so I yanked the backing plate off to check it out, impeller was just laying in there. This thing hasn't moved any coolant in a while. That would explain why no coolant was gushing out of the freeze plug hole while it was running.

Fingers crossed that I don't find more damage or leaks

'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Posting Guru

Edit - I should clarify since I didn't have a "middle" update on the situation.

I broke one bolt in the driver's side, and was able to get it out with vice grips and a lot of heat/chilling/lube. One of the long passenger side studs was stuck also. I was able to get it out without breaking it after a lot of work, but upon re-installing the water pump it snapped when torquing it down. Must have stressed it too much getting it out. It snapped flush with the block, tried to drill it through the timing cover hole and failed to get it out, now have the timing cover off as well.

Well I was unable to get the broken off bolt out. Drilling and trying to extract it through the timing cover was a bad idea as I got my hole slightly off center. I did not find this out until I pulled the timing cover. All I could do at that point was drill the remaining bolt/hole through and re-tap with a 5/16 coarse tap. Seems to have done the trick, while slightly crooked the bolt threads in and seems to hold.

This is turning out to be quite the mess, cleaned up the timing cover at work today and found a crack around one of the lower bolt bosses to the oil pan. One of the bolts was a little loose so that makes sense now. There goes another $76 for a new timing cover oh well.

Got it pretty much buttoned up last night, save for some washers needed on my replacement bolt, it's a little long, bottomed out with about 1/4" left to go. The motor looked fairly clean inside for 200K + and timing chain didn't seem excessively worn. IIRC 1/2" of slack is the limit. Those ford double rollers sure do last...

Hopefully will be finished up and running tonight.

I haven't decided if we will keep or sell it yet, but I figured I'd ask.

What would you like to see if you were buying it? I know a full repaint in stock color would be the best, but for the price range I'd be selling that would probably be a money-losing proposition.

I'm thinking John Deere Blitz black on the whole thing. Either that or repainting the replaced parts to match, but that would probably cost more for materials, but be less work.
'95 Bronco XLT 5.8/E4OD
'78 F-150 4x4 - Sold
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM