Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Today was a sad day!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Today was a sad day!

Yes, today was a sad day. It hit me as I stood there and watched my beloved ’00 F-350 go out the driveway, and disappear over the hill. Another guy besides me now held the title in his hand, and I now held his stack of $100 bills in my hand as I stood there and watched my companion of over 10 years go out of sight in a cloud of sweet-smelling diesel smoke. Suddenly a stream of good memories flooded my mind. Like the camping trips with my family and the many times we spent towing the equipment trailer for the local high school marching band. It almost brought a tear to my eye. Even the worst of those days are now very pleasant memories, especially when compared to the long days at work that seem to never end. Even the bad experiences I had with that truck, the bad CPS, bad bearing assemblies, a blown transmission, and even that overheating issue that took me the best part of a year to figure out, all those now don’t seem quite as bad as they should. One of the main reasons those things don’t seem so bad is because I was able to diagnose and work through all those issues with a LOT of great help and advice from the folks on these forums. There is no possible way to put a dollar value on what I have taken away from here. I would be remiss if I did not stop and again say “Thank You!” I appreciate the help, and even more I appreciate the willingness to help someone you’d never met. My truck and I would never have made it without you! Alas, those days are now over and my truck is in a different driveway tonight. I’ve got to somehow try and get over this feeling that I have betrayed a friend….

Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
One way to do that would be to buy another 7.3....I'm just saying.

I can't tell you how many times I have been gassing up my 5.0 Notch Mustang and some guy wonders over with a grin on his face and starts telling me a story about how he wishes he never got rid of that Mustang he had, or I had one just like that, or I always wanted one of those, my buddy used have one of those and I wanted one too...

I always say, they are still out there, go get you one. Same thing with these trucks. They are still available. If you get to missing it too much, get another one. Your old one would want you to be happy...

Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedTauraus: I do know how you feel. It has been 2 years 1 month 6 days 6 hours and 27 minutes +/- a little since I watched BigRed head down the road without me driving. I still look at pictures and video's of it on occasion. I have pics of me on top and underneath working and shinning on Bigred But as most on here that know me, I was ready for a change so I moved on and am glad I have a new project. Still will never forget a great truck that I had so much fun with. It was also a work horse if needed.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad day indeed. So what's gonna take her place in the driveway?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure. I'd love to be able to say, "another diesel truck," but at this point in my life, it just ain't happening. I remember back when the Ford diesel truck first caught my eye. I'd say it was about 1998 or so. Fuel was cheaper, MPGs were good, it was easy to "justify" having one. Then came the camper and the years we spent working with the high school band. Even more reasons to have it. Then all of that changed. We sold the camper and our involvement with the band waned after our son graduated a couple years ago. Those are explainable life changes, but the cost of diesel fuel nowadays is probably the main reason I'll have to go with something else. I wish someone would explain to me while fuel costs are so high. I think I know the truth, but if there really is some legitimate reason, I'd like to hear it. It's been a while since I drove something besides a 4x4 truck, but I am open to almost anything. We'll just have to see what comes along....

Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I feel you . I usually don't get too attached to vehicles, but my truck has become part of the family.
Sometimes I think when the camper goes I will have no need for such a big truck & I'll sell her on, but I don't think I could do that and not feel bad about it.
I Just couldn't do it....

Besides, I still have items on my "mods" list left to buy from Clay

Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
I feel you . I usually don't get too attached to vehicles, but my truck has become part of the family.
Sometimes I think when the camper goes I will have no need for such a big truck & I'll sell her on, but I don't think I could do that and not feel bad about it.
I Just couldn't do it....

Besides, I still have items on my "mods" list left to buy from Clay
When you finish your list I can give you mine

Old 03-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Frank I sold mine almost a year ago and I miss it every day

Old 03-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
When you finish your list I can give you mine
Hahaha,
I don't know if & when I'll ever finish my list. I'm also making a list of goodies for my motorcycle restoration. If I could just get my wallet to keep up with my "dreaming" I would be set.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
Frank I sold mine almost a year ago and I miss it every day
WHAT!!!!
Say it isn't so...camper too?

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Originally Posted by Franko72
WHAT!!!!
Say it isn't so...camper too?
Yes I got a motorhome 37' Fleetwood Southwind. I love it, but i still miss the truck.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I know how you feel. When I bought my truck I traded my 75 F150 in. When I got home that night I was missing it real bad so the next day I went back and bought my old truck back from them. They had to redo the contract and I had to pay taxes on the truck. I was was mad about that but it was worth it in the long run.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 PM
jbravata2
Junior User
It easy to get rid of a vehicle you think you don't need but you always regret it! I built a Mustang convertible while I lived in GA and then I had kids, moved to MI, and it sat in the garage all the time. I sold it and not a day goes by I don't miss that car. I think I'll keep my truck even when I have nothing to tow and diesel cost about $8 a gallon!!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I had that sick feeling when I sold my last truck (lifted Toyota 4X4), but not my last car. Stinky filled the void of the truck quite nicely, so the sting of selling the truck was short-lived. As far as expense and hassle, I might have more cause to get rid of my diesel than just about anybody here... but it would feel like getting rid of a war buddy at this point. My wife and I have discussed Stinky's future, I get plenty of ribbing from family and friends, and this latest PCM/chip issue has my folks wondering why the truck is still in my driveway. My wife and I have an answer:

Because we enjoy the truck more than any vehicle either one of us has ever owned, and Stinky always gets us where we're going. Stick a dollar value on that.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I spent the better part of my life in the rust belt of Ohio, so after a few winters It's not too difficult to get rid of a vehicle after the salt and rust have taken their toll.
My current truck has spent it's whole life in Fl and looks almost new underneath & I just couldn't conscientiously let it go.

Quick Reply: Today was a sad day!