Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

RAM 1500 is a huge hit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
True but the other half of the argument here is the capability of the Ram ecodiesel truck. It's literally a grocery getter with a pickup box.

The big three with diesel options are all highly capable and well proven work horses that people are willing to plunk their hard earned $$$ down for.

I stated in another thread that NIssan is marketing the 5.0L Cummins a stump puller, Ram is marketing theirs as a fuel sipper. Where's the middle ground? Will Ford be the smarter player here and market an oil burner that will achieve respectable MPG's and yet pull like an ecoboost?

Ford has a chance to be the hero here. And in my humble and fairly uneducated opinion, I think the unsuspecting Ram ecodiesel buyers are going to be pissed when they figure out what Ram has done.
Possibly. I agree that the hauling figures for the truck are really poor - but I don't think many of the buyers will care, they will be drawn to the showrooms by the promise of 30mpg and the fact that "its a diesel".

I also think it will be interesting to watch and see how many it does sell, perhaps all the marketing promos over the years of "my truck hauls more than your truck" is just BS, and at the end of the day most non-fleet half ton buyers care about having a comfortable truck that gets better MPG's.
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
How long does it take to do EPA testing on diesels? Ford has the "Lion" turbo diesels out in the European countries both in twin turbo and single turbo setups. If they brought them here how long would it take them to meet EPA standards? They'll do everything an Italian diesel can do in a Dodge.

I'd pay to see someone take a wrecked Egodiesel engine and drop it into a newer F150...doesn't matter if it was in the Jeep or the Dodge same engine and tranny. If someone did this and then did a side by side test with an EcoBoost we could see what the results would be like.
The Lion diesels should meet EPA standards. EU emissions requirements are so close to North American requirements from this year that any diesel that meets the Euro 6 standards (all vehicles sold in Europe from Jan 1 2014 had to meet it), will meet the US requirements. That was why the Ram was able to be engineered so quick.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Possibly. I agree that the hauling figures for the truck are really poor - but I don't think many of the buyers will care, they will be drawn to the showrooms by the promise of 30mpg and the fact that "its a diesel".

I also think it will be interesting to watch and see how many it does sell, perhaps all the marketing promos over the years of "my truck hauls more than your truck" is just BS, and at the end of the day most non-fleet half ton buyers care about having a comfortable truck that gets better MPG's.
The Lion diesels should meet EPA standards. EU emissions requirements are so close to North American requirements from this year that any diesel that meets the Euro 6 standards (all vehicles sold in Europe from Jan 1 2014 had to meet it), will meet the US requirements. That was why the Ram was able to be engineered so quick.

Right. I think that most non-fleet buyers would be afraid to tow or carry the maximum load possible in their trucks. And the off-road capability? They would rather let the tv ads attest to their capability. They are not going to take their $50K investment and throw it around between the boulders! Even on the highway most of them freak if they approach a .5G side load. They have too much cash at stake to risk any kind of little scrape or accident.... I mean what if my load shifts? I could get a scratch inside the bed!! I could chafe a tie-down!

Dodge is smart. I think that they realize how important that 30 mpg number
is to the typical buyer. If Ford could make a similar claim I think they would kick the Dodge right off the chart.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Anyone seen any commercials at all for the Ecodiesel Ram? I might have seen one for the Jeep but that was maybe last year. I heard somewhere if someone has a diesel in an SUV and they want to drop the same diesel in a truck, they would have to go through different tests? Something along those lines.

It was regarding Ford using the 3.2L diesel from the Vans and putting it into the F150s that they would need to go through more EPA standards because even though its offered in one and they want to put it into another, different class needs to meet different standards?

EPA BS gives me a migraine trying to figure it all out.

Personal preference goes along way.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
You are correct, each engine has to meet emissions for each type of vehicle, and different vehicles have different standards.
I don't think they would fit the 3.2 to the F150, it only has 200hp and 350lb ft.

The engine I would expect to see in it, is the Ford 4.4l V8 that is fitted to the Range Rover overseas (its also made alongside the 6.7 at the engine plant in Mexico). 335hp and 516lb ft in the Range Rover. It might be detuned slightly when fitted to the F150.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:42 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdox
Right. I think that most non-fleet buyers would be afraid to tow or carry the maximum load possible in their trucks. And the off-road capability? They would rather let the tv ads attest to their capability. They are not going to take their $50K investment and throw it around between the boulders! Even on the highway most of them freak if they approach a .5G side load. They have too much cash at stake to risk any kind of little scrape or accident.... I mean what if my load shifts? I could get a scratch inside the bed!! I could chafe a tie-down!

is to the typical buyer. If Ford could make a similar claim I think they would kick the Dodge right off the chart.

You got that right brotha!!

You are correct, each engine has to meet emissions for each type of vehicle, and different vehicles have different standards.
I don't think they would fit the 3.2 to the F150, it only has 200hp and 350lb ft.

The engine I would expect to see in it, is the Ford 4.4l V8 that is fitted to the Range Rover overseas (its also made alongside the 6.7 at the engine plant in Mexico). 335hp and 516lb ft in the Range Rover. It might be detuned slightly when fitted to the F150.
This could be the middle of the road that I'm talking about.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:11 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
I'd be crazy enough to do it if I had the funds. HP is torque x RPM/5252...it means nothing. Caroll Shelby put it best "Horse power sells, torque wins races." Torque tells me something, horsepower does not. That's why you don't see small gas engines rated in HP anymore...its inconsistent with others in the same class. Same with displacement as well...it varies from where its measured from. 5.7L in GM was 350 cubes, for Dodge its 345 cubes, Ford was 351 cubes.
You have a lot to learn about both horsepower, torque, their corresponding curves and their applications. They need eachother.

This could be the middle of the road that I'm talking about.
With Fords recent past I don't think they will put out the small displacement diesel like RAM, yet anyway. Probably with with numbers close to competition upper range. Ford has had a pretty good run of making truck powertrains that tow well and overall perform well as a truck I feel they will not deviate from that too much if they choose an F-150 diesel option.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:59 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

DETUNED! how about twin turboed? The could put that in a bunch of F series trucks!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
In the Range Rover it is already twin turbo'd. That is the bit I would expect to change if it was in the F150, 1 larger turbo instead of 2 small ones to save on cost.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGiron
Sells 8000 in 3 days

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesels Roll Out of Warren Truck Assembly Plant - Truck Trend

Hope that the F-150 is coming soon....
Does anyone have an idea when the '15MY will be on dealership lots?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Question

Even with the Diesel's 30 MPG, how long would you have to drive the truck to even realize a savings. The Laramie with the Eco-Diesel is what, $3 to 5K more than the same truck with a Hemi that gets 22 or better on the highway, plus diesel is more expensive not to mention maint. costs, etc. On top of all of that, you have a truck that you can't pull a whole lot with. I just don't see the point personally. They'll sell several, then the "novelty" will wear off and reality will set in. I feel if Ford decides to follow suit, they need to market / build the vehicle based more on performance than anything else, in other words, the diesel half ton(IMHO) should have a higher towing capacity than it's gas powered siblings. As far as the 30 MPG, I haven't seen any real world numbers on that, I've watched a few tests of the truck and they were able to achieve 26 to 27 MPG, no towing or anything though. Anyway, that's alot of extra money just to say you drive a diesel.

Last edited by RigTrash601; 03-08-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

You are right about all that Mitch. But I go back to the bulk of the buyers who are spending $50k on an advertising built image.

I'm betting none or damned few of those Dodge buyers ever see 30 mpg, the the fact that it has been aired... And I bet you those Dodge buyers spend more on waxes and armorall than they do on tires. Dodge is selling image and that is what most of them are buying. But it's a nice enough image.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:14 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
You are right about all that Mitch. But I go back to the bulk of the buyers who are spending $50k on an advertising built image.

I'm betting none or damned few of those Dodge buyers ever see 30 mpg, the the fact that it has been aired... And I bet you those Dodge buyers spend more on waxes and armorall than they do on tires. Dodge is selling image and that is what most of them are buying. But it's a nice enough image.
Yes, you're right. My son is die hard Mopar (must get it from his mama ) He just traded a '12 Ram 1500 R / T for a '14 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport 4X4, nice enough truck, I guess. I gets really good mileage for a 390 HP crew cab truck, he probably averages 19 to 20 all around mileage on a tank. The other day he asked if I thought he should've waited on the diesel, like I stated earlier, he'd have to have the truck forever to compensate for the added cost. The test I refered to was conducted in Colorado, on a ranch. Nothing was loaded into the bed, never was the truck at real highway speeds for very long and nothing was towed and they were bragging that they were getting 26 to 27 MPG (saw 28 on the monitor one time). How can you base anything on that. My F150 with the 6.2 will get 25+ MPG idling on dirt roads according to the monitor! I usually average 13.9 on a tank combined MPG. Sorry for rambling....but as stated earlier, I think the "trend setters" that go out and buy these trucks will regret it soon enough, that is the folks that actually use a truck as a truck.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:37 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Besides the 3500 dually the "new" Ram brand has proven to be a joke. They talk about all the innovations they are making meanwhile they are still building junk. I havey father in laws 2013 2500 to go off of and the truck is a pile of crap. I could go in for an hour about how bad the truck is.

Ram is no longer a truck. It is a truck body with no capacity. The cc short bed 2500 has a 2200lb payload. What a joke. The weight I use on my bed in the winter is more then his total capacity lol

Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nojoke327
Besides the 3500 dually the "new" Ram brand has proven to be a joke. They talk about all the innovations they are making meanwhile they are still building junk. I havey father in laws 2013 2500 to go off of and the truck is a pile of crap. I could go in for an hour about how bad the truck is.

Ram is no longer a truck. It is a truck body with no capacity. The cc short bed 2500 has a 2200lb payload. What a joke. The weight I use on my bed in the winter is more then his total capacity lol
We can expect nothing more, they are owned by FIAT nowadays. My son's truck is more "carlike" because it's more........"carlike".

Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
We can expect nothing more, they are owned by FIAT nowadays. My son's truck is more "carlike" because it's more........"carlike".
Exactly. Even on the 2500 there is nothing that says truck. The truck does have good power with the 6 speed, 4.10 and 30.5" tires. It is rated to tow 13500 but the payload is horrible and the brakes leave a lot to be desired compared to my truck. Power aside ill take my 5.4 powered superduty any day over that Fiat I mean ram.

I've been saying for 2 years now since ram went on its own, you know it must be junk if even dodge doesn't want its name on it

Quick Reply: RAM 1500 is a huge hit