1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Upgraded headlights

I put a brightsource hid kit in my wifes jk wrangler. It was a great upgrade to this rigs crappy lights. I figured I would put the same kit into my 2012 superduty. Great upgrade in lightin up the road but I started getting highbeamed. So, I lowered them down a bit. Still getting high beamed so I lowered them so they are pointin at the road right in front of the truck. Still getting highbeamed! In my wifes rig they are not too bright to oncoming traffic. Its lifted runnin on big rubber. I don't know what to do now about my superduty. I hate to take them out but I cant be pissin off oncoming traffic either. The beams seem well pointed but it does disperse a lot of light 'all over". What upgraded light are you guys usin? I see plenty of "blue tinged" lights on other superdutys that don't blind me.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 AM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eberlestock
I put a brightsource hid kit in my wifes jk wrangler. It was a great upgrade to this rigs crappy lights. I figured I would put the same kit into my 2012 superduty. Great upgrade in lightin up the road but I started getting highbeamed. So, I lowered them down a bit. Still getting high beamed so I lowered them so they are pointin at the road right in front of the truck. Still getting highbeamed! In my wifes rig they are not too bright to oncoming traffic. Its lifted runnin on big rubber. I don't know what to do now about my superduty. I hate to take them out but I cant be pissin off oncoming traffic either. The beams seem well pointed but it does disperse a lot of light 'all over". What upgraded light are you guys usin? I see plenty of "blue tinged" lights on other superdutys that don't blind me.
HIDs in the stock halogen housing is illegal and will blind oncoming drivers 9/10 times. In order to make halogen housing not blind oncoming drivers with HIDs you have to align the HID bulb so that it matches PERFECTLY to where the halogen bulb did and even then it may blind oncoming traffic. If you want HIDs retrofit projectors. You can get the diy kits from theretrofitsource.com or you can have the work done by companies like black flame customs, lightwerkz, or buy complete drop in housings from blackbird customs.

If I had to hazard a guess the reason your wife's jeep doesn't get flashed is because the natural cutoff is better and its lower to the ground.

I had 05-07 headlights retrofitted and now I have no issues driving at night. 20 feet on either side of the road, more light down road then I can use with the high beams on. And I have a perfect cutoff line so I don't blind oncoming traffic

Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 02TB250
HIDs in the stock halogen housing is illegal and will blind oncoming drivers 9/10 times. In order to make halogen housing not blind oncoming drivers with HIDs you have to align the HID bulb so that it matches PERFECTLY to where the halogen bulb did and even then it may blind oncoming traffic. If you want HIDs retrofit projectors. You can get the diy kits from theretrofitsource.com or you can have the work done by companies like black flame customs, lightwerkz, or buy complete drop in housings from blackbird customs.

If I had to hazard a guess the reason your wife's jeep doesn't get flashed is because the natural cutoff is better and its lower to the ground.

I had 05-07 headlights retrofitted and now I have no issues driving at night. 20 feet on either side of the road, more light down road then I can use with the high beams on. And I have a perfect cutoff line so I don't blind oncoming traffic
x2

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks guys. I am up in bc ,Canada. I went to all my local shops and didn't get much help. I figured a new housing would fix me up but the shops offered little help other than selling me new housings with a new hid kit, to match these housings. I will look into some of the shops you guys mentioned. I see led replacement bulbs are being offered by sylania now. I wonder if these will give a reasonable upgrade without the cost of buying new housings which run about $800 up here.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 AM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eberlestock
Thanks guys. I am up in bc ,Canada. I went to all my local shops and didn't get much help. I figured a new housing would fix me up but the shops offered little help other than selling me new housings with a new hid kit, to match these housings. I will look into some of the shops you guys mentioned. I see led replacement bulbs are being offered by sylania now. I wonder if these will give a reasonable upgrade without the cost of buying new housings which run about $800 up here.
As of right now I have not seen or heard of an LED that can safely be used as a headlight. there is on thread on here that showed potential, but I don't know how effective it will be or the longevity.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
cuda66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackbird Lighting Solutions....incredible service and quality of craftsmanship ....just got a set for my F450....now if it was so damn cold outside I'd put them in!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I only have upgraded silver stars in my stock 04 headlights and I get flicked high beams from oncoming cars all the time.... But I got the same thing with stock bulbs so I just flick my highs back and keep trucking lol

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
I only have upgraded silver stars in my stock 04 headlights and I get flicked high beams from oncoming cars all the time.... But I got the same thing with stock bulbs so I just flick my highs back and keep trucking lol

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
sounds like your lights are aimed to high. i have projectors which are twice as bright as silver stars and have yet to get flicked.