Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Senior User

fordf5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford F5

New to the sight and wanted to say HELLO.
My current project is a 1951 Ford F5. While I have built many fun rides I have been away a loooong time,,, marriage, family, other interests and little funds.
Currently,,, married 21 years (happily), Ohio University Freshman Daughter majoring in commercial photography (deans list), 15 year old son that will be sharing this project with me, football player (varsity lettered this year as a freshman) very very proud of em.
Now the F5 was supposed to be running when I traded a hit-miss cement mixer for it (yea I feel a little guilty but he really wanted the mixer) and only needed brake work. Well, that was not the case,,, the power-plant was locked up solid and is currently extracted and hopefully will be rebuilt and running.
Here are a few pictures before I brought her home.
.....Roger
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf5 View Post
New to the sight and wanted to say HELLO.
My current project is a 1951 Ford F5. While I have built many fun rides I have been away a loooong time,,, marriage, family, other interests and little funds.
Currently,,, married 21 years (happily), Ohio University Freshman Daughter majoring in commercial photography (deans list), 15 year old son that will be sharing this project with me, football player (varsity lettered this year as a freshman) very very proud of em.
Now the F5 was supposed to be running when I traded a hit-miss cement mixer for it (yea I feel a little guilty but he really wanted the mixer) and only needed brake work. Well, that was not the case,,, the power-plant was locked up solid and is currently extracted and hopefully will be rebuilt and running.
Here are a few pictures before I brought her home.
.....Roger
Welcome to FTE, nice looking truck. Those look like widowmaker wheels, but could tell better with a pic of the outside rear dual. Fixed the pictures for you.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

truckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to behold
Add my welcome. Nice truck, but as with all of them it has WMs. One of your first research assignments will be to Google the terms "widow maker" and "Firestone RH-5°". Then I'd suggest you get to know Joe Dunn (harleymsn) who has a set of wheels listed in the classifieds, and is near to you. Unless the 22.5s interest you and we can go into all that discussion. Stu

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...8-pattern.html
'51 F-3; '51 F-3; '52 R32-4, '53 6M254 -parts/donors
'97 F-250 4WD/460/ZF5 - trailer duty
'03 E-450 Fun Mover; '07 E-350 parts hauler; '13 E-350 Lab taxi
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the welcome and the fixin of the pictures.
I have and will continue to research them pesky rims,,toooo many people have mentioned those rims for me to not take the threat seriously.
It's been real cold and I am down to just the crank in the block.
After it's all apart, I will get a better idea of what needs to be done. Me and cold weather don't get along anymore.....danged diabetes crap and gettin older.
........Roger
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE!

That's a nice looking truck.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Postmaster

abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE! Nice looking truck. I noticed your turn signals. Take care of them, some guys would give their left arm for them. Are they in good shape? A buddy of mine has an old Dodge pickup and he paid $350 for a pair of NOS signals like that!

Keep us updated with more pictures.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking project. Some of us do like the larger trucks. And that looks like it may be the corner of a Ford script bed in the second picture.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the replies,,,
Turn signals are really nice,,,lil bit-o surface rust but overall nice shape.
The bed does say Ford on the back.
I must say It's a breath of fresh air being here
Thanks for all the positives!!!!!!!
.......Roger
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
So, fordf5, excuse me, Roger, will we see that truck in June at Shawnee Lodge FTE get to gether? Certainly not far from you.

Edit: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...hlight=Shawnee
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and the fixin of the pictures.
I have and will continue to research them pesky rims,,toooo many people have mentioned those rims for me to not take the threat seriously.
It's been real cold and I am down to just the crank in the block.
After it's all apart, I will get a better idea of what needs to be done. Me and cold weather don't get along anymore.....danged diabetes crap and gettin older.
........Roger
Roger, thankfully I don't have diabetes, but I can surely relate to the gettin older and not getting along with the cold weather anymore. It sounds like you are already in the process of rebuilding the engine. Hopefully the block checks out OK, because that is the one part that seems the hardest to find.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior User

Raytasch,
Shawnee sounds great,,,Circled June 6,7,8 on the calendar. Is this a push pull or drag event?. I would love to drive the old truck but finances will be the biggest holdback,,, If the F5 aint ready could I drive the 2000 F150 Lariat???.

Harleymsn,
I was hoping to get bye without packin the block to a shop,,, but magnaflux could be money well spent. To the naked eye the block looks great,,,but,,, I had 3 head bolts break off and worry about those particular places..
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Old guy with old toys

This is an event where folks who are enthusiastic about these old trucks gather. We look at trucks, discuss trucks, sometimes fix trucks and have been known to offer advice on world problems. It is a huge plus when folks bring their truck or trucks. Drive, push, drag or trailer, it doesn't matter how you get it there, but most folks bring an old truck. I don't think anyone has been turned away for not bring an old Ford truck. Just so much nicer when you come to show and tell if you have something to show. Come on down, truck or no.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Senior User

O I would love to bring it this year,,,,,won't say no but,,, realistically can't say yea either,,,time will tell...
...Roger
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
O I would love to bring it this year,,,,,won't say no but,,, realistically can't say yea either,,,time will tell...
...Roger
If you can't bring the truck, bring lots of pictures and questions.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymsn View Post
If you can't bring the truck, bring lots of pictures and questions.
I can definitely bring pictures and questions....
I appreciate the invite as it has lit a spark and fire to get there.
You guys treat newbies very well...Thank-You!!!

I got sooo many questions that my brain is hurting.
but one at a time.
I seemed to have difficulty posting pictures and required help getting them on here. The current pictures are on photobucket and not on my computer, I couldnt build an album because it required me to browse my computer and they aren't there. Used that picture icon in my first post and copied in the location and that didn't work....HELP!

AND a more technical question.
upon disassembling the rod bearings I was hoping to find an indication of what was in there currently like "STD" for standard but this is what I found.
2 65
FM
FORD (in script)
0BA62110

I searched the web for the numbers but didn't find anything that said whether they were standard, oversize, undersize i will probably just have to run the mic when it gets warmer.
............Thanks Roger
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM