Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Senior User

fordf5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Finally got them pesky lugs off. Still waiting on some brake parts. Master cylinder is rebuilt and back in place. Have been busy with removal and painting of all things brake related. Started running new brake lines.
.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
I also dismantled and repainted the heater. It had been a mouse house.
.been busy with many tasks and finally begining to see some progress.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Senior User

I am in need of a passenger side front wheel cylinder 1 1/4".
Any sources would be greatly appreciated.
.....Thanks Roger
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Chuck's trucks. Be sure to save the fitting from the old hose at the wheel cylinder end.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Chuck's trucks. Be sure to save the fitting from the old hose at the wheel cylinder end.
Ray did you get them from NAPA or elsewhere? I'm pretty sure I got the number from you, a W4571, I just looked it up and I got mine from Amazon. I paid $75 for the pair including shipping.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymsn View Post
Ray did you get them from NAPA or elsewhere? I'm pretty sure I got the number from you, a W4571, I just looked it up and I got mine from Amazon. I paid $75 for the pair including shipping.
Joe, you are correct. The number is as you show. I did get mine through Amazon, as well. I remember our conversation about the number. I replied this morning while on my first cup of coffee.
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Postmaster

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
This has been a really fun and interesting build. Funny, I am running a paralell thread on a '47 2 ton on the '47 and older page. Same teardown and re-using a good used 8ba etc, etc. Does your truck have a remote brake booster? I would be interested in seeing how best to deal with it. I removed mine for now because I don't want to spend the $ to have it rebuilt, so been taking some test drives without it. I was looking for an '51 or '52 f4 or f5 but found the '47 instead. I really like your truck and what you are doing with it. You seem as obsessed as me. None of this complete disassembly and waiting 5 years to slowly put it back together with all new parts. Nothing wrong with that if you want to end up with a perfectly restored and beautiful truck. That is what the vehicle hobby is primarily about. Just sayin' it's good to see another guy building on a wing, a prayer and a shoestring. Or is it a piece of baling wire? Can't wait to see the video. Your son can do that for you. Thanks for sharing your truck with us, and enjoy your kids in sports. I have many fond memories of my four kids and following the teams. Believe me there is PLENTY of truck time after they move out.....
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Postmaster

abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice build! Is your radiator support magically floating in mid-air? Must make painting easier!

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
This has been a really fun and interesting build. Funny, I am running a paralell thread on a '47 2 ton on the '47 and older page. Same teardown and re-using a good used 8ba etc, etc. Does your truck have a remote brake booster? I would be interested in seeing how best to deal with it. I removed mine for now because I don't want to spend the $ to have it rebuilt, so been taking some test drives without it. I was looking for an '51 or '52 f4 or f5 but found the '47 instead. I really like your truck and what you are doing with it. You seem as obsessed as me. None of this complete disassembly and waiting 5 years to slowly put it back together with all new parts. Nothing wrong with that if you want to end up with a perfectly restored and beautiful truck. That is what the vehicle hobby is primarily about. Just sayin' it's good to see another guy building on a wing, a prayer and a shoestring. Or is it a piece of baling wire? Can't wait to see the video. Your son can do that for you. Thanks for sharing your truck with us, and enjoy your kids in sports. I have many fond memories of my four kids and following the teams. Believe me there is PLENTY of truck time after they move out.....

Thanks for the replies I appreciate all the information that I can get.

Gary mine does not have a booster but it definitely is a wing, prayer, and baling wire...Got about a grand in it now and that includes about 475 in new rubber that is sitting in boxes in our living room just waiting for the reassemble process after paint.....
O yea I will have my son video the maiden voyage and try to post it here.......... and by the way the maiden voyage is going to happen this weekend........with or without brakes.....I hope
....Roger
Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Nice build! Is your radiator support magically floating in mid-air? Must make painting easier!
It looks that way but ifn you look by the old lawnmower you will see the support wire it blends in quite well with all the other junk or um i mean treasures/supplies.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Senior User

I still haven't been able to locate a 1 1/4" front wheel cylinder.
The Bleeder was already screwed and broke off,,,I drilled it out and in the process went about 1/8" tooo far and I don't think that it will seal.
HELP!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
fordf5 -have you tried Chuck at Chuck's Trucks? If he doesn't have the part he probably knows were to find one. 203-288-2769
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
I got all four of my wheel cylinders for my F4 from Chuck's Trucks.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf5 View Post
I still haven't been able to locate a 1 1/4" front wheel cylinder.
The Bleeder was already screwed and broke off,,,I drilled it out and in the process went about 1/8" tooo far and I don't think that it will seal.
HELP!!!
Amazon.com: Dorman W4571 Wheel Cylinder: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman W4571 Wheel Cylinder: Automotive

This is a 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4 but it is the correct replacement.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Old guy with old toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymsn View Post
Amazon.com: Dorman W4571 Wheel Cylinder: Automotive

This is a 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4 but it is the correct replacement.
I looked at that link, Joe and I bought two of them Feb, 2013

If there is any chance of the size not matching, I would certainly replace both so as equal force on each wheel.

Edit: I don't remember what size cylinder I had vs what size I now have but I've driven the truck at road speed and it has good braking power, no power assist.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Postmaster

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
If Chuck doesn't have one, try Bob Selzam in Tom's River NJ. He has tons of parts for our vehicles. His business is called Half Ton Fun and he just sells parts for all sizes of ford trucks before '57 primarily. Sorry, I don't have his number handy, but been buying from him for 20 years. He includes a hand written paper invoice in the box and then you send him a check.
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM