1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford F5

Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea thanks for the replies but I was already aware of the big L. I got schooled on a 55 ****** M38A1 many years ago... I hit em with PB blaster for a week. Used my underpowered impact on forward and reverse many times still no luck. I will continue to worry them off.....
.....Roger

Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Google torque multiplier. It's what I used to break mine loose for the first time.

Of course, mine was borrowed from the guy I bought my wheels from. That's an expensive tool to buy.

Neiko 3/4-Inch Drive Torque Wrench Multiplier - Rakuten.com Shopping

But I also got one of these, which I now use when I'm changing tires. That bar is about 3 feet long.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 AM
fordf5
Senior User
Thanks JRJ, I had never heard of a torque multiplier.
And I have been looking for one of the lug/stud tire tools,,,,,any sources for one o these??? Thanks!!!
.....Roger

Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Worse case scenario, pull the hubs and take them to a shop that is equipped to remove the wheels. (Only if you have a way to load them onto another truck) Or, a good excuse to buy a set of 3/4" drive sockets and a good impact wrench. The inside rears are another problem, themselves.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 AM
fordf5
Senior User
Nephew said he has a 1" impact that requires a lotta air. Said he ran 2 hoses to feed it,,,,,still tryin to wrap my brain around that hook-up.....
.....Roger

Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf5
Nephew said he has a 1" impact that requires a lotta air. Said he ran 2 hoses to feed it,,,,,still tryin to wrap my brain around that hook-up.....
.....Roger
NAPA carries the BUDD Socket,
The 1" drive http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...826_0006572290

The 3/4" drive http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...826_0006572290

I use a 3/4' breaker bar with a 4' pipe over the handle.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM
fordf5
Senior User
Thanks for the socket info,,,I got one of them,,,don't I also need the square to remove the inside duels? and where can I find that gizmo???
Just to come clean and hopefully prevent someone else from a brain-fart like I had,,,,,,, be careful when installing the head gaskets,,,,,I had it all set up and ready to go however while spraying it with silver high temp paint (as the instructions said to do) and flipping it end for end to ensure complete coverage and getting it installed promptly, I installed it the wrong way and it was leaking on the back side... Lotsa anxious moments trying to figure out what was wrong....New gasket should be here today...Engine sounded GREAT too, nice idle,,,35-40 lbs of oil pressure,,,excitement was short lived though.
lesson learned!!!!!
.....Roger

Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What brand/type of gaskets recommended spraying with paint?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf5
Thanks for the socket info,,,I got one of them,,,don't I also need the square to remove the inside duels? and where can I find that gizmo???
Just to come clean and hopefully prevent someone else from a brain-fart like I had,,,,,,, be careful when installing the head gaskets,,,,,I had it all set up and ready to go however while spraying it with silver high temp paint (as the instructions said to do) and flipping it end for end to ensure complete coverage and getting it installed promptly, I installed it the wrong way and it was leaking on the back side... Lotsa anxious moments trying to figure out what was wrong....New gasket should be here today...Engine sounded GREAT too, nice idle,,,35-40 lbs of oil pressure,,,excitement was short lived though.
lesson learned!!!!!
.....Roger
Roger, if the one you have is the same as those I posted, it has the square 13/16" inside the socket. When you remove the lug nuts, the socket then goes over the 'thimble' and the end of thimble seats in the 13/16' square.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did not have a torque multiplier available when I removed the widow makers from my truck, but I did have a 10' length of heavy wall steel tubing. It worked perfectly on the end of a 3/4" breaker bar to add enough leverage to break loose the wheel nuts, but it hurt like heck each time I was flung to the ground!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Harleymsn,
My bad, I thought it was just a 1 1/2 impact, now I get it, I called napa today it is $35.49 and they don't have one in stock but can get it next day... I will prob. look online and try to get a 3/4" breaker bar too...Thanks for the information, it was very helpful...
Marauder2004, I have a feeling I will end up on the floor too,,,shoulda seen me when the 1/2" ratchet shed it's square drive. Glad there is no video.

installed the new head gasket tonight and started her up. She ran great, one water pump needed a little more tightening, and then I installed the fan to aid in keeping her cool. I started with 10w30 oil and she held 40 psi while cold and 20 when warm, at idle.. I'm getting closer each day to her going to the body shop to get all prettied up....I can't wait to drive it,,,,soon, very soon.
....Roger

Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Muppy1840
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Also if the inner nut spins while you are trying to remove the outer nut you can get a tool called a Budd Nut Wrench. Also called a pork chop. I also put a jack stand under the bar coming off of the lug nuts to support it while you are putting weight on the snipe or breaker bar. This way it won't fall off every time you put serious pressure on it. I hope this makes sense to you.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 AM
fordf5
Senior User
Muppy1840,
I think I get what you are saying,,,to keep it level and straight?
Great tip Thanks!!!
Started it up again this morning,,,starts very easily and sounds great,,,I just can't get enough of it,,,I'm addicted to the sounds it makes.
.....Roger

Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 PM
fordf5
Senior User
I ordered the BUDD impact socket from NAPA today. It will be in tomorrow.
Came home and an older neighbor (that is in poor health) was riding his 4-wheeler around. He has taken an interest in the 51 ever since I brought it home. I asked him if he wanted to hear it run, and off to the barn we went. I don't know who was smiling more me or him while listening to it. He asked if it had brakes, and I told him of my problems with getting the wheels off. He said "you should have come over and asked if I had one cause there is one laying in my building" he told me that I could have it if he could go for a ride when it is done. I told him he could drive it for that....I guess it's better to be lucky than good...
It's an original BUDD... it fits perfectly but I still couldn't budge them.
I will hit em with the industrial size impact tomorrow. After that the BUDD should be able to handle it.........
.....Roger

Old 04-12-2014, 06:29 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Lug nuts kicked my butt,,,10 foot of cheaters on a breaker and 3 didn't budge.
Industrial size impact finally did it after many hours. Had to drill and tap my air compressor tank for a larger air supply and it drained it almost instantly...
But I win they are off. well at least on the drivers side. I will tackle the passenger side after this one is done.
Now I can move on to the brakes.
.....Roger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford F5