Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Senior User

fordf5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea thanks for the replies but I was already aware of the big L. I got schooled on a 55 ****** M38A1 many years ago... I hit em with PB blaster for a week. Used my underpowered impact on forward and reverse many times still no luck. I will continue to worry them off.....
.....Roger
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Google torque multiplier. It's what I used to break mine loose for the first time.

Of course, mine was borrowed from the guy I bought my wheels from. That's an expensive tool to buy.

Neiko 3/4-Inch Drive Torque Wrench Multiplier - Rakuten.com Shopping

But I also got one of these, which I now use when I'm changing tires. That bar is about 3 feet long.

Click the image to open in full size.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Senior User

Thanks JRJ, I had never heard of a torque multiplier.
And I have been looking for one of the lug/stud tire tools,,,,,any sources for one o these??? Thanks!!!
.....Roger
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Worse case scenario, pull the hubs and take them to a shop that is equipped to remove the wheels. (Only if you have a way to load them onto another truck) Or, a good excuse to buy a set of 3/4" drive sockets and a good impact wrench. The inside rears are another problem, themselves.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Senior User

Nephew said he has a 1" impact that requires a lotta air. Said he ran 2 hoses to feed it,,,,,still tryin to wrap my brain around that hook-up.....
.....Roger
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf5 View Post
Nephew said he has a 1" impact that requires a lotta air. Said he ran 2 hoses to feed it,,,,,still tryin to wrap my brain around that hook-up.....
.....Roger
NAPA carries the BUDD Socket,
The 1" drive http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...826_0006572290

The 3/4" drive http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...826_0006572290
Click the image to open in full size.
I use a 3/4' breaker bar with a 4' pipe over the handle.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the socket info,,,I got one of them,,,don't I also need the square to remove the inside duels? and where can I find that gizmo???
Just to come clean and hopefully prevent someone else from a brain-fart like I had,,,,,,, be careful when installing the head gaskets,,,,,I had it all set up and ready to go however while spraying it with silver high temp paint (as the instructions said to do) and flipping it end for end to ensure complete coverage and getting it installed promptly, I installed it the wrong way and it was leaking on the back side... Lotsa anxious moments trying to figure out what was wrong....New gasket should be here today...Engine sounded GREAT too, nice idle,,,35-40 lbs of oil pressure,,,excitement was short lived though.
lesson learned!!!!!
.....Roger
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
What brand/type of gaskets recommended spraying with paint?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf5 View Post
Thanks for the socket info,,,I got one of them,,,don't I also need the square to remove the inside duels? and where can I find that gizmo???
Just to come clean and hopefully prevent someone else from a brain-fart like I had,,,,,,, be careful when installing the head gaskets,,,,,I had it all set up and ready to go however while spraying it with silver high temp paint (as the instructions said to do) and flipping it end for end to ensure complete coverage and getting it installed promptly, I installed it the wrong way and it was leaking on the back side... Lotsa anxious moments trying to figure out what was wrong....New gasket should be here today...Engine sounded GREAT too, nice idle,,,35-40 lbs of oil pressure,,,excitement was short lived though.
lesson learned!!!!!
.....Roger
Roger, if the one you have is the same as those I posted, it has the square 13/16" inside the socket. When you remove the lug nuts, the socket then goes over the 'thimble' and the end of thimble seats in the 13/16' square.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Senior User

Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did not have a torque multiplier available when I removed the widow makers from my truck, but I did have a 10' length of heavy wall steel tubing. It worked perfectly on the end of a 3/4" breaker bar to add enough leverage to break loose the wheel nuts, but it hurt like heck each time I was flung to the ground!
2004 Mercury Marauder 32v DOHC - sold in June. Don't create a screen name after a car you might sell!
1969 Marquis convertible, 429
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Senior User

Harleymsn,
My bad, I thought it was just a 1 1/2 impact, now I get it, I called napa today it is $35.49 and they don't have one in stock but can get it next day... I will prob. look online and try to get a 3/4" breaker bar too...Thanks for the information, it was very helpful...
Marauder2004, I have a feeling I will end up on the floor too,,,shoulda seen me when the 1/2" ratchet shed it's square drive. Glad there is no video.

installed the new head gasket tonight and started her up. She ran great, one water pump needed a little more tightening, and then I installed the fan to aid in keeping her cool. I started with 10w30 oil and she held 40 psi while cold and 20 when warm, at idle.. I'm getting closer each day to her going to the body shop to get all prettied up....I can't wait to drive it,,,,soon, very soon.
....Roger
Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Freshman User

Muppy1840 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also if the inner nut spins while you are trying to remove the outer nut you can get a tool called a Budd Nut Wrench. Also called a pork chop. I also put a jack stand under the bar coming off of the lug nuts to support it while you are putting weight on the snipe or breaker bar. This way it won't fall off every time you put serious pressure on it. I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Senior User

Muppy1840,
I think I get what you are saying,,,to keep it level and straight?
Great tip Thanks!!!
Started it up again this morning,,,starts very easily and sounds great,,,I just can't get enough of it,,,I'm addicted to the sounds it makes.
.....Roger
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Senior User

I ordered the BUDD impact socket from NAPA today. It will be in tomorrow.
Came home and an older neighbor (that is in poor health) was riding his 4-wheeler around. He has taken an interest in the 51 ever since I brought it home. I asked him if he wanted to hear it run, and off to the barn we went. I don't know who was smiling more me or him while listening to it. He asked if it had brakes, and I told him of my problems with getting the wheels off. He said "you should have come over and asked if I had one cause there is one laying in my building" he told me that I could have it if he could go for a ride when it is done. I told him he could drive it for that....I guess it's better to be lucky than good...
It's an original BUDD... it fits perfectly but I still couldn't budge them.
I will hit em with the industrial size impact tomorrow. After that the BUDD should be able to handle it.........
.....Roger
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Senior User

Lug nuts kicked my butt,,,10 foot of cheaters on a breaker and 3 didn't budge.
Industrial size impact finally did it after many hours. Had to drill and tap my air compressor tank for a larger air supply and it drained it almost instantly...
But I win they are off. well at least on the drivers side. I will tackle the passenger side after this one is done.
Now I can move on to the brakes.
.....Roger
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM