Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Senior User

fordf5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got some pics of my new to me engine for the gurus.
It sure looks like a good one to me
.Click the image to open in full size.
..Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
.gotta get it all back together and back in here

......Roger
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Senior User

Oh yea, gonna pull the front clip off and start cleaning up the engine compartment before it goes back in.......
....Roger
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
I have to say that looks like a beautiful engine! Where's the sludge in the valley of the valves? Taking off the front clip is the best two hours you will ever spend. For an even bigger treat, pull the front wheels and the front bumper and put it on a couple of good jackstands. No more hanging over the fenders upside down. Excellent access to everything!
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Senior User

The whole engine was very clean. I pulled the oilpan because the PO said there was some sludge that he got by sticking his finger in the drain plug hole when he drained the oil. Not really very much though. And Im thinking this is a truck engine.
He said the PO before him said it was a 51, the oil pan is just like the one from my orig engine and the intake has the extra vacuum port.
If so, how lucky can one be??? This all started from a chance meeting at the parts store...
........Roger
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
8RT is the designation for the truck engine. 8BA is the designation for the car engine. If you have the 8RT heads, wide fan belt setup with truck pumps, and the oil pan with the clean out you have a truck engine. That said, all those parts swap with the car engine too, so you can find pretty much any combination these days.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I have to say that looks like a beautiful engine! Where's the sludge in the valley of the valves? Taking off the front clip is the best two hours you will ever spend. For an even bigger treat, pull the front wheels and the front bumper and put it on a couple of good jackstands. No more hanging over the fenders upside down. Excellent access to everything!

Welllll,front clip is now off, and it took alot more than 2 hours...
Bolts were extremely rusted,,couldn't get them to loosen, couldn't get them to break...heads were rounded off..
I went and got a cutting disc for the grinder..
Man them things are great!!!! except for the smelllll
of burning flesh and burning beard....
one more job complete.....
The wiring is UUUUUUUGLY old, brittle, gonna look into rewiring and maybe a 12 volt conversion. I got a gm alternator bracket with the new engine.
Gots lots of researching to do........
.....Roger
Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf5 View Post
The whole engine was very clean. I pulled the oilpan because the PO said there was some sludge that he got by sticking his finger in the drain plug hole when he drained the oil. Not really very much though. And Im thinking this is a truck engine.
He said the PO before him said it was a 51, the oil pan is just like the one from my orig engine and the intake has the extra vacuum port.
If so, how lucky can one be??? This all started from a chance meeting at the parts store...
........Roger
Look on the back of the block, just to the right of the oil pump drive gear cover. Is there a 0BA or 1BA cast into the block?

I can't tell if there are hardened seats or not, but the valves and springs are 8BA, not the '51-on rotator type. But it could be a '51 block that was retrofitted with earlier springs and valves. If the heads are still off I'd check for hardened seats for sure.

The 8RT heads are generally lower compression than 8BA, do you have another 8BA head so they match? (off old engine)
Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Senior User

I am very dense and hard-headed,,, but have come to the conclusion that this build must be a looooong distance run rather than a sprint.
I want to do things right, and the more I dig into it, the more I see that needs to be done.
My son is a freshman in H.S. and we are currently starting track season.
He is a shot and disc thrower and has earned one of the starting positions.
So most Saturdays will be spent at events. I wouldn't miss this for the world as it will fly by very quickly....
Then we will move to football where he absolutely loves that sport and earned a varsity letter this past year. I am truly blessed and VERY proud!!!
Sooo the build will proceed but not at the pace that I had wanted...
.....Roger
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Senior User

Tearing apart is fun but I can't wait till I start putting it back together!!!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Senior User

One step forward two steps backward but nonetheless progress is being made.
.Factory markings while in it's infancy?
.transmission markings
Click the image to open in full size.
.lookin a little better
.puttin the two together
.ahaaa Sweet success

Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Lookin' good.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Senior User

Thanks Raytasch,
Sounded GREAT tooo,,,,BUT,,,,,
ummm,,,,, ummmm,,,,, welllll,,,, is there a place on this forum where we go to get a swift kick on the backside and a dunce cap installed on cranium???
OR,,, do we just move on like it never happened???
....Roger
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Senior User

Fabricated the exhaust and got it all in place...
Broke the square drive off my 1/2" drive ratchet trying to get them lug-nuts off................ Didn't know I had it in me..........
Don't have a heat wrench anybody got any tips or tricks on their removal??? I gotta get to them brakes....
.............Roger
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Post Fiend

truckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to all
Left hand and right hand threads, is that your problem? Nuts are marked "L" and "R". Be careful with the torch. It can take the temper out of the studs. And since you haven't gotten rid of your widow makers yet, I'd let the air out before getting aggressive with them. Stu
'51 F-3; '51 F-3; '52 R32-4, '53 6M254 -parts/donors
'97 F-250 4WD/460/ZF5 - trailer duty
'03 E-450 Fun Mover; '07 E-350 parts hauler; '13 E-350 Lab taxi
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Left-hand thread studs and nuts are known to have been put on the right-hand side by POs. Been there, got the scars. My buddy and I felt pretty silly after a half hour of swearing at one stuck nut. I cleaned it off, sure enough, it had a big ol' "L" stamped right on the face of it. Geeeeeeee!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks