1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1962 F250 flareside help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ones on mine are Jr West Coast mirrors, it used to have the full sized ones your talking about.

Sam

Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
strokermax
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want me some of those west coast mirrors for both my 96 & the 62.

also sprayed some carb cleaner down the carb & it runs smooth & fires right up now everytime.

I got a few more questions how hard would it be to make a zf5 work in this truck & where can i get some go fast goodies for a decent price for this motor.

would you stick with 1 barrel, adapt a 2 barrel or get a manifold to run 2 or more 1 barrels.

Im thinking a 2 barrel would help me out the best but idk what adapter to get & what air cleaner to run

Old 03-13-2014, 07:41 PM
sgettin
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
foglights. round and chrome not black.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 PM
strokermax
Junior User
i plan to get amber fog lights in chrome off fleabay.

how much is a limited slip for the front & rear axles. i hate having open axles

Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM
strokermax
Junior User
sorry guys no updates as of late. This weather is so up & down cold, windy,rainy it sucks it wont just be decent like 55 & sunny.

but heres my question. the wood for the bed is still in pretty good shape but in the future i plan to put new wood in.

How should i go about doing this?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by strokermax
sorry guys no updates as of late. This weather is so up & down cold, windy,rainy it sucks it wont just be decent like 55 & sunny.

but heres my question. the wood for the bed is still in pretty good shape but in the future i plan to put new wood in.

How should i go about doing this?
Their is a thread over on the 48-56 truck forum barn wood for bed real interesting ck it out

Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know how this weather has been. It's holding me up to everytime it's a decent day it's raining then the cold weather comes again after it was almost t shirt weather the day before. Spring is on it's way not to much longer of this sloppy weather.

As far as the bed floor it all depends on what way you want to go with it. If you want to DIY or get a premade floor. Some people get a sheet of wood of there choice and stain it and cut into strips and router the edges to sit the metal divider slats flush with the boards. There is also kits pre made that include everything needed for the job wood,metal slats and hardware. But they can get very pricey but are good quality. If your metal slats are in good shape I'd cut my own wood and save hundreds.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM
strokermax
Junior User
well again not much updates as this weather is still terrible.

but i believe the metal slats are in good shape so ill probably just put wood in.

i found one issue that does need imho attention. On the left front rear shackle it looks pretty bad. but that is the only issue i see on the frame so ill probably just weld in new material as i mean im not really gonna haul anything heavy in the truck.

also swapped the alcoas on. they look ok but the tires are too skinny

Old 04-02-2014, 10:04 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i need to replace the wood in my truck, too. my metal slats look good, so i'm just going to get my table saw and router out and make my own. I'm thinking some good oak planks should look great.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
strokermax
Junior User
i want mine to have a nice oak or cherry look too it.

heres a video of the truck running & the interior. i show all of my trucks flaws

Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, it's 50 years old, so you gotta expect problems, but it looks good to me. i've had a soft spot for these old ford flaresides since my days in the navy when i drove a 63 across the country in 59 hours with two other guys in the truck. THAT'S a story that i should tell someday. whew. Anyways, keep up the fight, and keep posting pics. I'm working on mine this summer. i'll post more pics soon.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
strokermax
Junior User
I hate this weather.

I need decent 15 inch all terrain tires as the like new 31s are dry rotted.
Need to wire wheel the wagon wheels & repaint white

need to get the Alcoas off the truck & put on my 96 & swap tires around

need to sand the bumpers & repaint white as well as the Grille & headlight surroundings.

Need to wire up the brake lights & rear turn signals so they work & done right

need to either cover the existing bench in a saddle blanket or replace it with a newer bench.

Instead of messing with the old 1 barrel i think im gonna get a 1-2 barrel adapter & bolt on a 2 barrel & hook it up. hopefully not too hard to do.

The overall plane is to throw a CB/whips, install vintage amber fog lights ( Like Roadkills Ranchero) If you havent seen it Youtube Roadkill Its a pretty Awesome show.

put a old cop spotlight on it , rebuild or install a 300 either with either a 2 barrel or multicarb & header throw limited slips in both front & rear & other then all of that i believe thats about it.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:28 PM
strokermax
Junior User
Been awhile since anything happened. But i wire wheeled my wagon wheels & the rear bumper & sanded the wood in the bed.Both look alot better now.

Just finished painting the inside of the wheels primer grey & the rest all a Nice white. & i bought a nice deep dark Wood Stain for the old wood to really clean up nice & the bumper is a Flat white like it was before.

Things are starting to roll Now. Ill be hopefully doing the wood this week & then ill start on drivers side rocker area.

Havent been on much cause racing season here

Old 09-28-2014, 01:02 PM
strokermax
Junior User
Updates. finished the wagon wheels redid them & the Rear bumper. Blew all the old paint & such off & hit it with rattle can white. Looks good I must say.

Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it & some Seafoam in the gas tank. Seems to run better.

Problems still are this.

Carb unless choke is pulled out some it does not idle., Next issue is it runs good under load but say if u come to a stopsign gotta pull the choke out or it stalls,.

Im looking to put a 2 barrel on it. which 2 barrel should i put on it? also what needs to be changed to go from a 1 barrel to a 1 barrel adapter with a 2 barrel on top?

I need Decent 15 inch Mud or all terrains for the wheels as the ones i got are like new but dry rotted., Looking for 32s-35s as it geared 4:56s so id like some more tire.

If anyone got any for sale Around Chambersburg Pa area let me know.

other then The Carb Issue & Tires it mostly just Body.

the drivers side inside where the step is & up to where the cab begins needs fixed. & i dont know where to get the parts & if it needs Floor pans cause the rest all solid.

the passanger door & fender need fixed cause the door while it opens catches slightly on the fender.

Any info or Help is great & im grateful for this Site cause without it i couldnt do what im trying to do

Old 09-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's four barrel intakes for the 223, then you could put a 2 to four adapter and a small 2bbl like a motorcraft 2100 or a holley 350 CFM. The 2 to one adapter will work, but not quite as well.

If it were me I'd rebuild the current carb, it sounds like the idle circuit is plugged up.

Sam

Quick Reply: 1962 F250 flareside help?