1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Do it right the first time....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it right the first time....

So periodically through out my build, especially here recently, I have had to go back and change/fix things that I tried to "save money on" before. I know I'm not the only one that finds themself in this situation every now and then but I know I have made things more difficult for myself later on in the build.

For instance, when I wanted to get my engine started in the frame for the first time. I went and bought an ebay $30 chinese electric fan, $35 on the electric fan wiring kit that went with the cheap fan, $30-40 on a cheap autoparts store control module for the duraspark II, used plastic fuel cell $80. I've had to go back and change all of that stuff therefore I've wasting my money on that cheap crap from before.

Something I'm going through now is: I bought a used 9" rear end a few years back and it had 5x5.5 bolt pattern. Keep in mind my MII IFS has a 5x4.5 pattern. Well my dad kept telling me to have the 9" axles drilled to to match the front..."Na I won't need to do that"...well a few years went by and I had bought some new wheels and tires. Everything is going great until I found out recently that I had a bent axle on that 9" I bought....Now I'm just sucking it up and fixing the axles the way they should have been done before and selling the NEW rear wheels I have now to get some with the right bolt pattern 5x4.5(can't return them as they have had tires mounted). If I would have had listened to my dad years ago I would have found out about the bent axle back then and wouldn't be in the pickle I am now with the wheels. So freaking frustrating but its all my fault. I just kept doing things the hard way (didn't know I was at the time, thought I was just doing it differently) but you live you learn.

All of these things (there's more I just can't think of them right now) I've "saved money on" has made my build take longer and costed me more in the long run.

Bottom line is: Do it right the first time guys! You will save time and money!

Sorry had to vent

Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Not taken as a vent. Rather a well presented life lesson. We all tend to do what seems right at the time and many times that is a pocketbook issue. Lord knows I've done stuff that I've had to go back and change or modify. Truth be known, probably all of us have. Many times that older guy looking over your shoulder , parent, has been there, done that.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well said, and yes I have done it too. Quite a few times and it seems that it is a lesson that is hard to learn sometimes.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:16 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Sometimes, you can only afford to take the cheap way out until you are forced to spend the money later on (the house I built in 1992 that I've been redoing ever since is a prime example).

Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yep, I have done that more times than I want to admit. I am doing the same thing right now with the flathead from my F-1.......I cut some corners building it the first time and it didn't last very long. Expensive lesson to learn.......

Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
I have done it to. The old springs will work but it would of been easier putting new Posies on when it was just a frame, oh well.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think we're all in the same boat. It's a learning curve that mostly affects your 1st build. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it's also about having respect for the next owner. I wouldn't want my bad workmanship to be on a vehicle that I may eventually sell. Plus, a vehicle is usually worth more if it's done correctly.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It helps to have a plan. And once you start the plan, don't change it! I had a gift of a complete Bronco 9 inch rear end from a friend. Because of my advanced age, I knew to take it apart and inspect it. As a result, the only thing I'm going to use in my 48 F1 is the differential case and gears. The rest will be sold to someone who can use this rear end which is too narrow for my F1. I will change the 28 spline differential for a 31 spline Detroit TruTrac, and in the process a complete rebuild and adjustment. Dollars spent, but the reassurance of fewer problems later.

Philip

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
dmack91
Elder User
I have learned this lesson many times and am getting better about it. However, being realistic, there are many times when it comes down to either "I wonder if I can make this work" or "I need to see if this will work before I invest the money on the rest of it".

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
I've been fortunate enough to learn alot of those lessons through you guys being a member on this forum. I can't express my gratitude enough. I've also have a great teacher (Garbz) to help me with making those decisions along the way.

With that being said, Thank you gentlemen..

Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I agree doing things on the cheap usually comes backs and bites you in the butt. As you get older, and hopefully better financially situated, you learn and start doing better.

One other thing to think about that I learned 10, even 20 years after the fact, is build the truck like it was already complete. Like most here I tore my F-2 down to the frame and started building it back up. As I went I installed the engine along with all of the tubing and hoses. Then came body parts and so on. As I was assembling these parts I stood over the frame and went to work. Well, 20 years later I needed to remove the radiator and realized I had installed the hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose clamp so the tightening screw wasn't easily accessible from the bottom of the truck. It was easy 20+ years ago because I didn't have any of the front sheet metal on the at the time. I've found a few other situations like this. It's kind of fun because I can actually remember the time I did these installations and who I was with at the time, my dad who is no longer with me and friends I have long lost contact with. Also, my youth.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
I still do it, but at least it's with used parts I already have. I call it "mocking up", but totally agree with Bob. I work on vehicles for a living so I'm almost always thinking towards future repairs and making them easier for myself.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:19 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by dmack91
I have learned this lesson many times and am getting better about it. However, being realistic, there are many times when it comes down to either "I wonder if I can make this work" or "I need to see if this will work before I invest the money on the rest of it".
I am in the same boat.
There are times when I know I'm going to have to go back in and change/tweak/rebuild something. Sometimes the current situation dictates the shortcut. Soemtimes those shortcuts last a long time.
I fabbed up my gauge cluster on the cheap using junk yard parts ($20 total investment) as a temporary solution. So far its been 7 years or so....lol

Bobby

Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM
ldouble619
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
bites me in butt a few times a month... It's more of while you are there, you should do it... For example, I just got my truck ready for it madden voyage, I checked the u-joints before installing the DS. I determined the rear needed to be replaced and the front was good..

Oh boy, an 10.00 u-joint caused me to walk about two miles home when the front u joint blew up about two hours later on the way to the gas station. I have never had that happen, but man did it **** me off.

Quick Reply: Do it right the first time....