1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 f100 5.0 coyote swap project (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM
walt460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Parts should should keep from your donor vehicle:
PCM (Powertrain control module)
BCM (Body control module)
Fuel pump and sender assembly (gas tank too if you can use it)
FPDM (Fuel pump driver module)
EVAP canister contol solenoid (near gas tank on a Mustang)
FTP sensor (Fuel tank pressure sensor (by the fuel tank)
AC pressure transducer
Mass air sensor with inlet air temp sensor
Cooling fans
Throttle pedal assembly
Brake pedal position switch
Gear shifter assembly and cable
Instrument cluster
Steering column ( key sensor, ignition switch, speed control switch)
Cluster multi-function switch (controls display screen in cluster)
light dimmer switch (for cluster lighting)

Now, you may not elect to use all of these, but you can. The 3 wiring harnesses I noted above and be turned into a very basic Hot Rod harness, or to include any or all of the above items. If you live where emission systems are checked you should keep the evap emissions hardware and the catalyst.

By-the-way, always keep the UEGO sensors in the exhaust system, they are critical for proper engine function.

The motor mounts, trans mount & bracket, and the driveshaft are good things to keep as well. The less things you have to buy new the better.

Hope this helps.

Walt

Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
When you said "wiring guy" - how would you locate one of these locally? I wouldn't even know where to begin searching!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 AM
walt460
Senior User
Jerry,

Well, there are several options to find someone to do wiring in your area. Look for shops that do street rods or resto-mods, they will usually have a wiring guy they use who can custom make harnesses and/or strip out your factory harnesses.

You can ship your engine and trans harnesses to Chris at Hotwire Auto
Address: 256 Polk Rd 43, Mena, AR 71953
Phone479) 243-9115
HotwireAuto - Fuel Injected Wiring Harnesses
and Chris will custom build you a harness with lengths to match your needs for about $1095. Hotwire Auto can also modify your PCM, (for additional $400+) to remove PATS security and turn off any features you do not want (I think they use HPTuners software).

If you want to modify the 3 factory harnesses I mentioned (14290, 14401, & 14A005) I can do that as well. PM me for details.

Walt

Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 AM
F1 Mike
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Fantastic info Walt. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 PM
walt460
Senior User
Here are some wiring harness base part numbers by application.

--------------------F150------- Mustang
Engine harness -----12C508 -----12C508
Trans --------------15525 -------14B060
Engine Compartment 12A581 ------14290
Dash Harness------- 14401------- 14401
Chassis (fuel pump)- 14405 -------14A005
Shifter floor--------- 14B079----- 14A005
Column -------------14C685

In a Mustang the 14A005 runs all over the inside of the passenger compartment so it includes the floor shifter and the fuel pump, the Fuel Pump Driver Module, both gas tank senders, etc., along with all the audio, rear lighting, ABS sensors, seating controls, air bag stuff...... crazy harness.

A F150 has a 14A005 too, and it runs all over the passenger compartment but it just contains useless stuff, no powertrain. The floor and column shifters have their own sub harnesses that connect to the 14401 dash harness. That 14405 harness runs from the driver's side of engine compartment where it connects to the 12A581 and then runs to rear of the truck along the driver's side frame rail. It contains the Fuel pump and sender and the Fuel pump Driver Module as well as all the rear lighting and ABS sensors plus a lot of optional stuff like back-up camera and electrically locking diff.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

Walt

Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 AM
Jstaff
New User
Originally Posted by walt460
Well this is going to be interesting, please do keep us posted as to this SCT dealer's ability to defeat PATS on a 2011-2014 5.0L/6R80 control system!
I dont mean to promote but There is a person on ebay who says they will disable the pats on your oem pcu, he requires you to send it to him. It may help me but I saw some people were struggling with pats on here. If you search the_parts_fam on ebay he will come up, he has a lot of parts you just have to search for it. By the way I plan to use everything I can for my swap so does anybody have a full list of things I need from a mustang for pats to let me by? And does anyone have any tips for using the factory electric steering from a mustang? Also any tips for retrofiting the mustang dash?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 AM
craftsmangary
More Turbo
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jstaff
I dont mean to promote but There is a person on ebay who says they will disable the pats on your oem pcu, he requires you to send it to him. It may help me but I saw some people were struggling with pats on here. If you search the_parts_fam on ebay he will come up, he has a lot of parts you just have to search for it. By the way I plan to use everything I can for my swap so does anybody have a full list of things I need from a mustang for pats to let me by? And does anyone have any tips for using the factory electric steering from a mustang? Also any tips for retrofiting the mustang dash?
That looks promising, I wonder how they can do it and some of the big name tuners can't.

Link to ebay add
PCM Pats Delete Tune 2011 2014 Ford Mustang Computer ECU GT 5 0 Coyote Swap Kit | eBay

Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 AM
Jstaff
New User
Originally Posted by craftsmangary
That looks promising, I wonder how they can do it and some of the big name tuners can't.

Link to ebay add
PCM Pats Delete Tune 2011 2014 Ford Mustang Computer ECU GT 5 0 Coyote Swap Kit | eBay
Earlier I think I read that one person said that they could be taking it apart and doing things to the board or they could have their own computer tech?

Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 AM
Clkent1
New User
F100 project

Hi Walt.. I've been reading you post about the project on the swap. I have the same Truck and wondering if there is a way to install the stock coyote motor and trans out of a car or truck and make it work without using the dash to by pass ford's electronic control system? I know a lot of people say it can't be done and there should be a wiring kit available soon so I'm wondering if I can make the stock drive train work now?

Mike,

Parts should should keep from your donor vehicle:
PCM (Powertrain control module)
BCM (Body control module)
Fuel pump and sender assembly (gas tank too if you can use it)
FPDM (Fuel pump driver module)
EVAP canister contol solenoid (near gas tank on a Mustang)
FTP sensor (Fuel tank pressure sensor (by the fuel tank)
AC pressure transducer
Mass air sensor with inlet air temp sensor
Cooling fans
Throttle pedal assembly
Brake pedal position switch
Gear shifter assembly and cable
Instrument cluster
Steering column ( key sensor, ignition switch, speed control switch)
Cluster multi-function switch (controls display screen in cluster)
light dimmer switch (for cluster lighting)

Now, you may not elect to use all of these, but you can. The 3 wiring harnesses I noted above and be turned into a very basic Hot Rod harness, or to include any or all of the above items. If you live where emission systems are checked you should keep the evap emissions hardware and the catalyst.

By-the-way, always keep the UEGO sensors in the exhaust system, they are critical for proper engine function.

The motor mounts, trans mount & bracket, and the driveshaft are good things to keep as well. The less things you have to buy new the better.

Hope this helps.

Walt

Old 07-16-2016, 01:06 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Originally Posted by Clkent1
Hi Walt.. I've been reading you post about the project on the swap. I have the same Truck and wondering if there is a way to install the stock coyote motor and trans out of a car or truck and make it work without using the dash to by pass ford's electronic control system? I know a lot of people say it can't be done and there should be a wiring kit available soon so I'm wondering if I can make the stock drive train work now?
If that trans is standard, definitely - you can use the ford control pack - it's an aftermarket computer that greatly simplifies the setup. I'm using a coyote on my '54, but I'm using a standard transmission which won't require any computer inputs.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:41 PM
walt460
Senior User
Originally Posted by Clkent1
OK, let's clear this up some.

On 2011-2014 Mustangs the PATS system is in the cluster. So if you want to use a 2011-2014 Mustang powertrain and retain the PATS system you need to use the Mustang Cluster. Or, you can have the PATS system turned off in the PCM so it is not needed to start the engine, and then you do not need to use the Mustang Cluster.

On 2011-2014 F150s the PATS system is in the Body Control Module (BCM) which is mounted in the passenger side kick panel. So you do not need the F150's cluster when doing a swap. If you have PATS turned off in the 2011-2014 F150 PCM, then you can wire around the BCM and delete it if you want (as long as you can live without the other functions of the BCM).

I know that HP tuners can turn off PATS in 2011-2014 Ford PCMs if you send them your PCM. I would not believe anyone that claims they can do this with a laptop or a hand-held programmer, I have never seen this work except when the PCM itself is modified.

I have helped with the wiring on a lot of 5.0L/6R80 and 3.5LEB/6R80 swaps. It seems everyone wants different things included in their swap, so the wiring design is almost always a custom lay-out to reconfigure the production wiring. Please do a lot of planning before you start such a swap, and start with a running donor vehicle if possible!

I will be happy to answer any questions you have, if I can.

Walt
Walt

Old 07-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Clkent1
New User
Thanks sooooo much!!! I've been holding off on buying a motor and trans because I wanted to see if I could use the stock drive train from a f150 or the Mustang. I may be able to buy a salvaged f150 from the auction and use everything!

OK, let's clear this up some.

On 2011-2014 Mustangs the PATS system is in the cluster. So if you want to use a 2011-2014 Mustang powertrain and retain the PATS system you need to use the Mustang Cluster. Or, you can have the PATS system turned off in the PCM so it is not needed to start the engine, and then you do not need to use the Mustang Cluster.

On 2011-2014 F150s the PATS system is in the Body Control Module (BCM) which is mounted in the passenger side kick panel. So you do not need the F150's cluster when doing a swap. If you have PATS turned off in the 2011-2014 F150 PCM, then you can wire around the BCM and delete it if you want (as long as you can live without the other functions of the BCM).

I know that HP tuners can turn off PATS in 2011-2014 Ford PCMs if you send them your PCM. I would not believe anyone that claims they can do this with a laptop or a hand-held programmer, I have never seen this work except when the PCM itself is modified.

I have helped with the wiring on a lot of 5.0L/6R80 and 3.5LEB/6R80 swaps. It seems everyone wants different things included in their swap, so the wiring design is almost always a custom lay-out to reconfigure the production wiring. Please do a lot of planning before you start such a swap, and start with a running donor vehicle if possible!

I will be happy to answer any questions you have, if I can.

Walt
Walt

Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Goldys.garage
New User
Originally Posted by wwagner479
My 48Ford F1 is in a SCT dealer shop in Memphis TN having a 2013 Coyote 5.0 truck engine with 6 speed automatic installed right now. I haven't heard of any problems yet as they say they have done this before. I'll update more when I hear the truck running or as I hear of problems. This is the first time for this shop to install the Coyote engine in a older truck but they have done several other swaps in older Mustangs before.
Did this project get completed? What was the final bill and what were the challenges? Thank you

Old 12-24-2016, 05:11 PM
craftsmangary
More Turbo
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightning Motor

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I have a 2000 5.4L Lightning motor and transmission (4R100) that I want to put into my '49 F1. Are the Tuners able to disable the PATS system in a vehicle this old? I have the full vehicle so I am able to pull off anything I need. Any suggestions? Can I follow the notes from this thread on the Coyote engine or is my 5.4L too different?

Quick Reply: 56 f100 5.0 coyote swap project (help please)